Cruise 15!

15 August 2015 | Gig Harbor, WA
14 August 2015 | Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island
12 August 2015 | Prevost Harbor, Stewart Island
10 August 2015 | Nanaimo, BC
04 August 2015 | Port Harvey, E. Cracroft Island
03 August 2015 | Jennis Bay, Drury Inlet
31 July 2015 | Sutherland Bay, Drury Inlet
29 July 2015 | Shawl Bay, BC Mainland
26 July 2015 | Claydon Bay, BC Mainland
23 July 2015 | Shawl Bay, BC Mainland
20 July 2015 | Pierre's Echo Bay, Gilford Island
18 July 2015 | Laura Cove, Broughton Island
16 July 2015 | Cullen Harbour, Broughton Island
13 July 2015 | Port McNiell, Vancouver Island
12 July 2015 | Port McNiell, Vancouver Island
11 July 2015 | Pierre's Echo Bay, Gilford Island
09 July 2015 | Laura Cove, Broughton Island
04 July 2015 | Waddington Bay, Bonwick Island
02 July 2015 | Lagoon Cove, E. Cracroft Island

Pressure Caps, Heat Exchangers, and Roasted Pig

11 July 2015 | Pierre's Echo Bay, Gilford Island
WX: overcast, rain showers, temp 60, wind L/V
Faithful followers of this blog may recall that, very early in the trip, we were concerned about a possible leak in the cooling system of the port engine. Charlie had to refill the expansion tank a couple of times but there was no evidence of water/antifreeze in the engine pans or the bilge. Then the problem seemed to go away and we quit worrying about it. And anyone with any cruising experience will immediately recognize what a big mistake THAT was.

We left Laura Bay and stopped briefly to retrieve the shrimp pot. (Empty, of course.). Then we throttled up for the 40-minute run down to Pierre's. About five minutes later, a strange racket from the vicinity of the port engine alerted us to A Problem. Once glance at the temperature gauge told us what the Problem was. Our first thought was a broken belt, but after shutting down the engine and tearing up the floorboards, we discovered the belt to still be intact. But there was clearly NO coolant in the engine.

There wasn't much we could do with the engine hotter than the Hinges of Halifax, so we continued on toward Pierre's on the starboard engine. Charlie managed to pour a little water into the expansion tank on the way. Arriving at Pierre's, we called them on the radio and advised them we'd need some help with docking. Making the 90-degree turn toward the dock on one engine was a total impossibility. With help from several nice folks on the dock, we got it done and then went to work on the Problem. The first difficulty was that Pierre's fuel dock had no antifreeze. Fortunately, TYC friends Rick and Karen Hansen had a gallon aboard Dawn Marie which, along with a partial gallon we already had, was enough to give us "almost" a 50-50 mix. The engine was soon running again and cooling properly. The culprit was determined to be a faulty pressure cap on the coolant tank. It is a corollary of Murphy's Law that, no matter how many spare parts you carry, you won't have the exact one you need to solve The Problem and that was definitely the case here. We were hoping that, by checking the coolant daily, we could make it over to Port McNeill and get a replacement there. It is interesting to note that, in all our many years of cruising, the most significant engine problems have always involved cooling systems.

Of course our main reason for being at Pierre's is the Weekly Pig Roast and the fact that Charlie is the featured entertainment. It may be hard for folks at home to comprehend it, but up here Charlie's music is actually enjoyed and appreciated. There are even people who base their itineraries, in part, on where Charlie will be performing. Hard to believe, but true.

This Pig Weekend attracted a bigger crowd than usual so it was a full house. They even had to borrow some tables and chairs from the boaters which meant there were more than 120 people present. Charlie had to set aside the worries about the boat and give them a good show and he must have succeeded since many, many people stopped us on the docks later to say how much they enjoyed it.

However, we soon realized that The Problem was far from solved. A check of the coolant tank on the port engine revealed that all the coolant we'd put in was noe GONE. And there was no evidence of it in the bilge or in the pans under the engine. That left only one explanation. It was going out the exhaust...and the only way that happens is if there's a leak between the fresh- and salt water sides of the heat exchanger. And that is a major (i.e. expensive) possibility. In addition, we were now faced with getting the boat somewhere where it could be repaired...on one engine.

Stay tuned.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dreamtime
Vessel Make/Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Hailing Port: Gig Harbor, WA
Crew: Charlie and Diane Long
About:
We are retired teachers who have been sailing in the Northwest for nearly 40 years. Charlie learned sailing and seamanship aboard his parents' Islander 24 back in the 60's. Diane learned out of self-defense when she realized she was marrying a sailor. [...]
Extra:
The "Dreamtime" is the period in Australian aboriginal mythology known as the "time before time." It was during the Dreamtime that that ancestor spirits "dreamed" the world into existence. People often ask, "Why do you have a SNAKE as your logo?" The Rainbow Serpent, or Waugal, was the ancestor [...]
Dreamtime's Photos - Main
Photos from "Through (with) the Chairs," our 2014 summer cruise.
60 Photos
Created 14 June 2014
23 Photos
Created 31 July 2010
121 Photos
Created 16 June 2010