Dream Weaver News

20 March 2007 | St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
03 March 2007 | St. Maarten/ St. Martin
21 February 2007 | Grand Anse, St. Martin
07 January 2007 | English Harbor, Antigua
22 December 2006 | Guadeloupe
26 November 2006 | St. Anne, Martinique
25 November 2006 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
15 November 2006 | Bequia Island, The Grenadines
09 November 2006 | Tobago Cays, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
08 November 2006 | Petite St=2E Vincent/Petite Martinique
07 November 2006 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou Island, Grenada
04 November 2006 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
02 November 2006 | Scotland Bay, Trinidad
30 September 2006 | Chaguaramas Bay, Trinidad
09 July 2006 | Chaguaramas Bay, Trinidad
29 June 2006 | St. Georges lagoon; Grenada
26 June 2006 | Carriacou Island, Grenada
22 June 2006 | Tobago Cays, The Grenadines
18 June 2006 | Bequia, The Grenadines
16 June 2006 | southern St. Lucia

The "Yellow Flag" Stop

25 November 2006 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
Karin
This picture shows off our new flag, appropriately a whale since this boat model is called a Whaleback. Flags get a tremendous amount of wear on the bow and we have shredded a few already. Since we only intended to spend the night here, we decided to make a "yellow flag" stop. Upon arriving in a new port, the usual custom is for a foreign flag vessel to put up a yellow "Q" flag, indicating to the harbor authorities that the vessel hasn't officially cleared in with customs and immigration. Usually you are expected to clear in within a day or so, and after clearing in a small courtesy flag of the host country is flown instead of the Q flag. During a "yellow flag" stop you don't actually clear in because you are leaving quickly. In other words you sneak in and out before anyone notices (you hope!).

We experienced the reverse situation in Guadeloupe when we tried for four days to check in at Deshaies, but never found the office open or even a sign stating when they would be open. So we finally checked in when we got to the next port in a larger town.

Clearing in and out of the various Caribbean countries has been an interesting experience. Most places are very relaxed about the process, although the paper work often seems extremely complicated and labor intensive. It's not unusual to visit three different offices to deal with immigration, customs and harbour authorities, each with their own complete set of fees and forms which need an official stamp. We have been asked more than once if we had any stowaways or illegal substances on board. I have been totally amazed at how often carbon paper is used, not even the self copying forms. Usually, someone actually inserts pieces of carbon paper between the forms! I haven't seen carbon paper used in the states for years, but it is alive and well in the Caribbean.

A recent experience leads me to speculate that all this may be changing. The Immigration office in Antigua scanned our passports into a computer, which we were told was connected to US Homeland Security! When Paul made a comment about Homeland Security giving these countries computers in order to keep tabs of all of us, he was informed that they had to purchase the computers themselves! In spite of this recent technological addition, they still had us filling out multiple copies of several forms and giving us hand stamped receipts. The whole incident illustrates how often new and old ways mix and mingle in the Caribbean. To be honest we were sort of embarassed that our government had insisted small Caribbean countries purchase computers for the convenience of Homeland Security.

The following day we "upped anchor" and discovered a big surprise. We had dug into a huge piece of living coral and managed to lift a small bolder-size chunk out of the water with the anchor. Because our anchor is shapped like a large scoop, Paul had a difficult time getting it off the anchor and finally succeeded getting rid of it by prying with a piece of 2x4 wood after unsuccessfully beating on it with a hammer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dream Weaver
Vessel Make/Model: 48' Krogen Whaleback
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Karin and Paul Schneider
About: Fellow shipmates (must have pleasant disposition, bring movies on DVD, and get yourselves invited to our boat)
Extra: Karin and Paul's search for the meaning of life, happiness, and what else is there to do!
Dream Weaver's Photos - Dream Weaver News (Main)
No Photos
Created 6 June 2007
4 Sub-Albums
Created 14 May 2007
32 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 May 2007
3 Sub-Albums
Created 27 January 2007
4 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
3 Sub-Albums
Created 1 December 2006
7 Photos
Created 1 December 2006