VOYAGES OF THE DAWN TREADER

A family of five works to resume the cruising life while keeping their sense of humor. This cruise begins with the inaccurately named post "That Was Easy"

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA
18 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
17 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
18 August 2014 | Kirkland, Washington
17 August 2014 | kirkland, WA
26 July 2014 | Prescott Arizona
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
01 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
05 March 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
23 January 2014 | LA PAZ
02 January 2014 | la paz, BCS
26 December 2013 | la PAZ, BCS
21 December 2013 | LA PAZ, BCS

FOOD IN LA PAZ

23 January 2014 | LA PAZ
CAVAN
FOOD IN LA PAZ
BY CAVAN

Food in Mexico is good. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. There are traditional restaurants, fancy restaurants, taco stands, and the best hamburger and hot dog carts in the entire world. Wherever you go, the food will always be good.

Personally, I like traditional restaurants more than fancy ones. Traditional restaurants have great authentic Mexican food. They generally have big menus. We almost always get a cold Coke in a bottle when we go to places like this.

Taco stands are great. The food is always fresh and never pre-made. You order in Spanish and get your hot food soon after. Their appearance is a small cart on wheels or just a stand, with friendly people standing and eating with a cockroach or two on the ground. Just kidding, we have seen one cockroach in Mexico, but it was on the side of a building near where we were sitting waiting for our tacos. We have never had a better hot dog or hamburger than the ones we've had from hamburger/hot dog carts in La Paz. Each stand is a little different, but wherever you go, you can't go wrong. They put everything you could possibly imagine on them from avocado to bacon bits (and that's sometimes on the hamburgers, but always on the hot dogs), lettuce, cheese, picante sauce, onions, cabbage and tomatoes. Besides having the best food on the planet, the workers (or worker) are very friendly and you always pay after you eat. In Mexico they never give you the bill, until after you are finished and ask for it. They don't hurry you.

Fancy restaurants are expensive. Don't get me wrong, they are still good, but I'd prefer a taco stand. In my opinion they spend too much attention on decoratings. Their food is less authentic and more slanted towards American food.

As a teenage boy, I like to eat. A lot. I love how Mexico has huge variety of food. It's cool how they have their own traditional recipes, plus food from other cultures. Food is just another reason to love Mexico.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Mayflower 40
Hailing Port: Semiahmoo, WA
Crew: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
About: Carla and Casey sailed 3/4's of the way around the world between 1994-1997 on their first boat Briar Rose, a Cascade 29. They came home to begin having children and finally found something they were good at. Cavan is 15 and his brother Tommy is now 13. Sophia is 10.
Extra:
After 8 or so years back on land, Carla began to petition Casey for another boat. For some reason it took a little work, but he came around in the end. They are now looking to set out to sea again with a crew of five. When we began cruising way back in 1994, we had no computer in the beginning, [...]

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA