VOYAGES OF THE DAWN TREADER

A family of five works to resume the cruising life while keeping their sense of humor. This cruise begins with the inaccurately named post "That Was Easy"

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA
18 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
17 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
18 August 2014 | Kirkland, Washington
17 August 2014 | kirkland, WA
26 July 2014 | Prescott Arizona
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
01 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
05 March 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
23 January 2014 | LA PAZ
02 January 2014 | la paz, BCS
26 December 2013 | la PAZ, BCS
21 December 2013 | LA PAZ, BCS

VISIT FROM THE JAMISONS BY TOMMY

25 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
TOMMY

VISIT FROM THE JAMISONS
BY TOMMY

We met the Jamison's at Rancho Viejo, a great restaurant that's very close to the marina where we dock our dinghy. They're names are Adam, Julie, and their son Shane. Shane was on my baseball team the last three years, and they flew down to La Paz to visit us just before Christmas. I ordered pancakes, so did Cavan, even though there seems to be a syrup shortage in Mexico these days. Shortly after we ordered we got to talking. Their plan was to spend the first few days in their hotel and then go out sailing with us.

At their hotel there was a trampoline. So naturally, we spent the entire first day on it. Whenever I bounce on a trampoline a muscle in my back starts to hurt after a while. We did lots of double bouncing, and lots of other things like attempting flips and bouncing from our backs to our feet. The next day I was so sore, I couldn't believe it. The next day, it was even worse.

We left the following day on the boat. We decided to stop at Balandra Cove. We tried to sail, but the wind did not prevail, as well as our fishing lines. On this trip we stopped at two anchorages. Balandra is a beautiful and popular beach with a famous upside down balancing rock. The first time we tried to anchor, the anchor drug, and we had to reset it. It was the first time our anchor hadn't set first time since Turtle Bay. Another boat, Enchante (Al and Lindy), was in the bay. There were friends of the Jamison's too, and like them, they lived on Lummi Island. The next day, in a different anchorage, with Adam and Shane aboard Enchante, their anchor drug for the first time since the San Juan Islands. We all began to talk of the Curse of Adam or the Jinx of Shane.

In the first anchorage we launched kayaks and the dinghy, but we didn't use our outboard motor, we just rowed and pushed it further in by the very shallow water near the beach. After that's when I really got sore.

At the second anchorage at the island of Espiritu Santo we went snorkeling. We saw some fish, not a lot, but it was fun practicing diving down deep with a snorkel. We saw a few black Angelfish and some other skinny black ones, and I don't know what those are called. On the rocks off the little island beside Espiritu where we were swimming, there were lots of little crabs. They were so colorful and ornate looking that you could hardly believe they weren't painted.

It was lots of fun when the Jamison's visited, and it was great to see a friend from home after four months and 2000 miles of separation.
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Mayflower 40
Hailing Port: Semiahmoo, WA
Crew: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
About: Carla and Casey sailed 3/4's of the way around the world between 1994-1997 on their first boat Briar Rose, a Cascade 29. They came home to begin having children and finally found something they were good at. Cavan is 15 and his brother Tommy is now 13. Sophia is 10.
Extra:
After 8 or so years back on land, Carla began to petition Casey for another boat. For some reason it took a little work, but he came around in the end. They are now looking to set out to sea again with a crew of five. When we began cruising way back in 1994, we had no computer in the beginning, [...]

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA