VOYAGES OF THE DAWN TREADER

A family of five works to resume the cruising life while keeping their sense of humor. This cruise begins with the inaccurately named post "That Was Easy"

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA
18 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
17 May 2015 | SAN CARLOS
18 August 2014 | Kirkland, Washington
17 August 2014 | kirkland, WA
26 July 2014 | Prescott Arizona
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
01 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
20 May 2014 | SAN CARLOS
05 March 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 February 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
27 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
25 January 2014 | LA PAZ, BCS
23 January 2014 | LA PAZ
02 January 2014 | la paz, BCS
26 December 2013 | la PAZ, BCS
21 December 2013 | LA PAZ, BCS

Punto Pulpito

04 June 2014 | SAN CARLOS
TOMMY

Originally we weren't even going to go to Punto Pulpito, but now, I'm glad we did. We'd just left San Juanico, on the Baja side of the Sea of Cortez. We were motoring up to Bahia Concepcion, into the increasingly stronger winds and chop. Then, our friend Phil, on the boat Salty, called us on the radio. He said that we could turn in to this other place called Punto Pulpito. Blue Eyes, another boat coming from San Juanico, also stopped here. They were waiting for the winds to calm down, and left later that night. I wish we'd stayed longer.

Punto Pulpito, along with being a great place to shelter from the hard northerly winds, was supposedly a fantastic fishing spot. We trolled all around the anchorage, but all that Cavan and I caught was a skinny lizardfish, and we let that one go. It was only later that we realized we should have cut him up for bait.

Once we realized (admitted) that trolling was pointless, we anchored the dinghy on a rock. Cavan immediately jumped in the water and started spearfishing, while I started casting. We were there for about two hours, and it wasn't long before I caught a juvenile Mexican Hogfish, and Cavan had speared two Graybar Grunts, only one big enough to eat. The smaller of the two we dragged the next day in hope a Dorado or some other fish would bite.

Earlier that day we went ashore to stretch our legs. There were lots of waves breaking on shore, so we had to make our first surf landing. It went flawlessly. From there we hiked along the rocky shoreline until we reached our destination: a spot just under a huge bluff, showcasing a huge vein of dragon glass, or obsidian. We held a brief competition to see who could find the largest fallen chunk. In the end, I won with a rock probably the size of three soccer balls. It was massive. It was embedded in the ground a ways. We also brought a mango sized chunk back to Phil.

In conclusion, Punto Pulpito was definitely my favorite stop in the Sea of Cortez. We only stayed one night, with an action packed day, but I wished we stayed longer. Really the only thing we didn’t do was go swimming!
Comments
Vessel Name: Dawn Treader
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Mayflower 40
Hailing Port: Semiahmoo, WA
Crew: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
About: Carla and Casey sailed 3/4's of the way around the world between 1994-1997 on their first boat Briar Rose, a Cascade 29. They came home to begin having children and finally found something they were good at. Cavan is 15 and his brother Tommy is now 13. Sophia is 10.
Extra:
After 8 or so years back on land, Carla began to petition Casey for another boat. For some reason it took a little work, but he came around in the end. They are now looking to set out to sea again with a crew of five. When we began cruising way back in 1994, we had no computer in the beginning, [...]

THE CREW

Who: Casey, Carla, Cavan, Tommy, and Sophia
Port: Semiahmoo, WA