Due West Adventures

The sailing adventures of Captain Kirk & Heidi, Tosh and Tikka Hackler . . .

17 March 2019 | Puerto Vallarta
25 December 2018 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
26 August 2018 | Puerto Vallarta MX, ABQ, NM, and SEA, WA
01 May 2018 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
24 December 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco Mexico
02 November 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
11 October 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
16 September 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
29 June 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, MX
26 May 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, MX
07 April 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, MX
26 February 2017 | Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, MX
30 January 2017 | La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
24 December 2016 | Banderas Bay, Mexico
20 December 2016 | Banderas Bay
27 November 2016 | La Paz, B.C.S. Mexico
14 November 2016 | Bahia San Carlos Mexico
17 October 2016 | San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

"Surviving" Tropical Storm Javier

12 August 2016 | La Paz, Baja California Sur
The one rule we live by while cruising is that the weather (WX) dictates EVERYTHING. Where we go, what we do, schedules, etc., are all dictated by the weather. The weather isn't usually much of a factor on shore, in a house or car. If it's pouring rain, windy, or snowing, you generally just get in the car and drive somewhere anyway. But out here on a sailboat, it's a different story...

If you've been following our blog for long, you may recall we had to wait out storms for weather-windows in Newport, OR, Crescent City, Monterey, and Santa Barbara, CA and in Ensenada, MX last fall and winter. Due West is no stranger to high winds and storms either. In 1997 we sailed her in 65 kts of wind across Puget Sound in the Easter Day Storm. (This was the one and ONLY time we did not listen to the WX radio, and it taught us a BIG lesson. But it also gave us great confidence in our boat and ourselves that we could sail in high winds if we needed to.) And we rode out the Hanukkah Eve Storm of 2006 at the dock in Elliott Bay Marina with hurricane-strength gusts of over 70 kts. Now days we look at and listen to WX reports daily. With weather forecasting tools being what they are today, we hope to NEVER find ourselves dealing with a hurricane or nasty storm again, but we know that's always a possibility as a cruiser.


This image from NOAA shows the projected trajectory of Javier. La Paz was in the Tropical Storm Warning zone (blue), very close to the Hurricane Watch zone (pink.)

So the report from the National Hurricane Center on Friday August 5 wasn't exactly what we wanted to hear...Tropical Storm Javier was headed our way (towards La Paz) with the potential to become a hurricane. To quote our nephew Tate who just turned 17, "No Bueno!" For you non-sailor types, a Tropical Storm has winds ranging from 34-63 kts (or 39-73 mph), while a Category 1 Hurricane has winds ranging from 64-82 kts (or 74-95 mph.)


We got up to view NOAA storm warning text updates at 0300 each morning. It made for a restless night's sleep when the Mexican Government issued a hurricane watch/warning for southern tip of Baja!

During a storm event NOAA and the National Hurricane Center post WX updates online every 3 to 6 hours. We checked the forecasts before we went to bed at night, then set our alarm to get up at 3am Saturday, and Sunday when new WX updates were posted online. We watched the tropical storm warnings turn to hurricane warnings, creeping ever closer to La Paz, to include Cabo (90 miles south of us) and then Los Barriles (45 miles south of us). Javier was still 2-days away, but we knew we'd better start to prepare for the worst. The "nice" thing about natural disasters like Tropical Storms and Hurricanes is that you actually get several days to prepare (unlike, say an earthquake!) After each WX update, we conferred with our awesome cat-sitting friends John & Boni, and we made plans to help each other out if anyone needed anything.


Due West with decks clear, canvas cover and dodger coming off. We did leave our jerry cans of diesel, gasoline, and water tied and locked to the lashing boards. If it looked like it would have progressed to a Cat 2+ Hurricane, those would have come off and stowed below decks too.

So Saturday we stripped everything off the deck and stowed it all below. Our main cover was still lashed on with line from when we'd gone to the states and we left that. We took the jib off the furler, deflated and packed up the kayaks, stowed the snorkel and dive gear bag, removed our big canvas awning and dodger canvas, and packed everything into the salon. Tosh & Tikka wondered WHAT was going on?!


Our mainsail and cover were tied down to the boom using a chain-stitch lashing. This is actually the neighbors boom as we untied ours before we thought about taking a photo, but it looked the same.

We double-tied all mooring lines, filled the water tanks and fuel tanks, and stocked up on food and cash from the ATM. When Hurricane Odile hit La Paz three years ago the whole city was without electricity for 10-days. No water, no fuel, no stores open, no cash machines working. We aimed to be as prepared as possible in those two days.



We left the air conditioning unit in place to help keep cool a bit longer, since we could always stow that at the last minute if need be. We also made provisions to get ourselves and the cats OFF the boat in the event that it did become a hurricane. Thankfully our cruising friend Lisa who has a house here (and is currently in Seattle) said if the storm hit we could bring the furbies and seek refuge at her house, along with John & Boni and their dos-gatos as well. BIG THANKS Lisa!!

As we scurried around all day getting the boat "hurricane-proofed", many other local Mexicans on the dock and gringos cruisers who'd been in La Paz for a while and had seen lots of hurricane warnings come and go, weren't doing the same thing... they were all nonchalantly saying this would blow by and be a non-event. We are generally very optimistic, and it would be fantastic if it panned out that way, but that was not what NOAA and the National Hurricane Center were saying. In the fable of the ant and grasshopper, we were the ants getting ready for winter.


This projected storm-track image shows Javier starting to veer west. The day before this image, all tracks were headed up the Sea of Cortez and over La Paz... Unfortunately we were too preoccupied stowing and stashing to think about downloading that image!

But by Monday morning all warnings were off, and the most we saw was a bit of rain and about 20 kts of wind on Tuesday. That was it...Tropical Storm Javier fell apart as quickly as he formed. It was a non-event. As it turns out the locals were right this time. Whew! We skated by on this one. And with the added knowledge that we CAN take everything OFF our boat and store it inside within a day, if need be. We'd rather be safe than sorry, and will do it all again next time. Even though we now face the chore of putting it all back ON deck and securing everything for our voyage north.


The calm before the storm...La Paz is known for it's fantabulous sunsets, and the night before the storm was scheduled to hit was no exception. The old sailor's adage "Red Sky at Night..." doesn't seem to apply here!

Since hurricane season is officially here, we're skedaddling. We plan to leave La Paz on Sunday and make our way north to Bahia de Los Angeles for a month or so, then likely east across the Sea of Cortez to San Carlos/Guaymas area before coming back to La Paz in mid-November after the hurricanes have gone. Stay tuned, follow our IridiumGo track, and to all of you sailors out there, stay safe this hurricane season! Fair winds and following seas...

Comments
Vessel Name: Due West
Vessel Make/Model: Passport 40
Hailing Port: Seattle, WA
Crew: Captain Kirk & Heidi Hackler + Tosh & Tikka
About:
Captain Kirk and First-Mate/Navi-Girl Heidi untied the dock-lines in Seattle in August 2015 and set sail for Mexico with our two-kitty crew Tosh & Tikka. We've been in Mexico since then.  
 
Kirk grew up sailing in Seattle and has been boating his whole life. [...]
Extra: See pix of our boat here: Due West Interior Photos and in the Photo Gallery.
Home Page: http://svduewest.com
Due West's Photos - Main
18 Photos
Created 24 December 2019
5 Photos
Created 15 December 2019
46 Photos
Created 3 October 2019
59 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
37 Photos
Created 17 March 2019
40 Photos
Created 24 December 2018
42 Photos
Created 26 August 2018
21 Photos
Created 1 May 2018
9 Photos
Created 5 February 2018
60 Photos
Created 24 December 2017
41 Photos
Created 10 November 2017
27 Photos
Created 15 September 2017
10 Photos
Created 5 September 2017
65 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2017
15 Photos
Created 26 February 2017
3 Photos
Created 28 December 2016
51 Photos
Created 18 December 2016
34 Photos
Created 26 November 2016
45 Photos
Created 14 November 2016
45 Photos
Created 17 October 2016
37 Photos
Created 30 September 2016
20 Photos
Created 12 September 2016
3 Photos
Created 4 September 2016
8 Photos
Created 12 August 2016
38 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
27 Photos
Created 11 July 2016
16 Photos
Created 30 June 2016
29 Photos
Created 30 June 2016
Things We Wish We’d Known Before Going Cruising...
19 Photos
Created 25 May 2016
48 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
34 Photos
Created 10 March 2016
35 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
32 Photos
Created 17 February 2016
54 Photos
Created 25 January 2016
46 Photos
Created 9 January 2016
28 Photos
Created 3 January 2016
19 Photos
Created 21 December 2015
42 Photos
Created 13 December 2015
22 Photos
Created 25 November 2015
28 Photos
Created 11 November 2015
28 Photos
Created 1 November 2015
29 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 1 October 2015
11 Photos
Created 24 September 2015
10 Photos
Created 20 September 2015
12 Photos
Created 14 September 2015
8 Photos
Created 7 September 2015
4 Photos
Created 4 September 2015
Leg 1 of our trip to San Francisco, sailing from Port Townsend, WA to Newport, OR. Ducked into Newport to avoid a gale at sea...
32 Photos
Created 29 August 2015