Eagle Heart Adventures

14 April 2024 | Moorehaven
11 April 2024 | Torrey Island bridge
09 April 2024 | Indian Town
08 April 2024
07 April 2024 | Stuart
05 April 2024 | Stuar
03 April 2024 | Sunset Bay Marina, Stuart
01 April 2024 | West Palm Beach
31 March 2024 | North Bimini Anchorage
29 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay
27 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay
26 March 2024 | Great Harbour
25 March 2024 | Great Harbour
24 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay marina
21 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay
20 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay Marina
19 March 2024 | Great Harbour Cay
16 March 2024 | Harbour Island
15 March 2024 | Gunboat Bay
14 March 2024 | Spanish Wells, Eluthera Island

Sun Studio tour

23 September 2019 | Memphis Tennessee
John Robin | 70 degrees, and a bit of rain!
This morning started off with.......shopping? Susan wanted to see if there were any treasures in some of the used clothing or consignment stores. The answer, after 4 stores were disappointing. Most had, as I say, shoe shine quality clothing! The one find was a cool consignment store with 1960s furniture and collectibles. It was quite cool to see the items displayed that many of us grew up with, but millennials dont know existed.
After a bit of cruising around, we went to Sun Studios. For those that dont know, this was the recording studio that actual invented "Rock and Roll".
It was started by Sam Phillips in 1950. To make a go of it, he had a portable vinyl recording machine, and went to weddings, Bar Mitzvahs and conventions. He also had a passion for gospel/ blues and started recording some of the local artists. He found a band, Jackie Brenton and the Delta cats, and cut a single called Rocket 88. Ike Turner was on the keyboard for that song, which was their first hit. Then came one of Sams favorite musicians, Howlin Wolf. His trademark was carrying a live Rooster to all his sessions. They did so well together, that the Rooster was added to the Sun label.
In 1954 a young man called Elvis walked in and asked to buy some recording time. Sam was out, but his office manager, a lady, said sure. He recorded a ballad, paid his $4.00 and walked out. The secretary cut a second disc for Sam. ...He hated it! He was on the the cutting edge of Rhythm & Blues, and had no time for Ballad singers. Elvis went on to do a few talent competitions, and kept coming back to try different sounds that might sell. As he told the secretary, when asked who he sounded like: I dont sound like No-one! Sam wanted a white singer that could sing R&B. He hired 2 musicians to play with Elvis and try a few things out. They recorded for 8 hours with no success. All of a sudden Elvis started acting crazy, grabbing the mike, swaying his hips, and belting out " Thats all right"! Sam jumped up and screamed, Thats It! Rock and Roll was born. They rushed the single down to the local radio station, that played it 15 times that night. The next days all the phone lines lit up with other D Js asking for the single. Elvis stardom was born!
Hard to top that afternoon at Sun Studios, but I had heard that the Memphis Bass Pro shop was a Must See. Susan rolled her eyes at me but was a trooper. Then we rolled up to this massive pyramid, complete with hotel, 6 restaurants, alligator pools, massive aquariums, and clothing covering acres. We did not purchase anything as we are leaving for home tomorrow, but it was definitely a cool place to wander around.

The picture is where the million dollar 4 stood on that famous December day. Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins And Jerry Lee Lewis bumped into each other in the Sun Studio, and had an impromptu jam. This was the piano, and exact location it happened. Gives you chills being there. More photos in Gallery.
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagle Heart
Vessel Make/Model: Kha Shing 37
Hailing Port: Victoria, British Columbia
Crew: John Robin, Susan Robin
About:
John is a retired Power Systems electrician and worked in the pulp and paper industry for 40 years. Susan worked in the health care system, primarily at the Cowichan hospital as a Unit Clerk for 36 years. [...]
Eagle Heart's Photos - Main
Searching for new Horizons!
91 Photos
Created 21 January 2023
Cruising Lake Michigan & Huron on MV Affinity At Marine Church Kagawong
101 Photos
Created 29 August 2022
Make and mend trip
103 Photos
Created 28 November 2021
Back home waiting for Covid to end so we can cruise again
7 Photos
Created 17 October 2020
Left Aqua Yachts January 25, 2020
12 Photos
Created 18 February 2020
Cruising Eagle Heart down the rivers.......Again.
96 Photos
Created 19 July 2019
On board Phanthom for a Carribean cruise
67 Photos
Created 19 February 2019
Continuing our explorations!
33 Photos
Created 19 August 2018
140 Photos
Created 10 March 2018
Cruising down the rivers.
83 Photos
Created 30 August 2017
Getting ready to cruise
67 Photos
Created 28 June 2016
web counter