Echo Beach

26 October 2019
26 October 2019
24 October 2019
22 October 2019
18 October 2019
14 October 2019
08 October 2019
06 October 2019
05 October 2019
01 October 2019
29 September 2019
18 September 2019
16 September 2019
14 September 2019
06 September 2019
04 September 2019
03 September 2019

Sensational Scawfell Island

14 June 2013 | Scawfell Island, Cumberland Islands, Qld
Glorious sunshine
We left Mackay in overcast skies and hoped it would clear - keen to get to our first tropical islands. At least the wind had died to a reasonable level.
We wanted to stop at Keswick and St Bees Islands having heard of beautiful clear water and great fishing. As we neared the islands they just disappeared! Completely - right into fog, cloud, rain and goodness knows what else. Amazing!
Then the rain hit us and rained like the heavens opened up. Within 1 nautical mile we gave up on Keswick and St Bees for another day - when you could actually see them. We made our way to Refuge Bay, Scawfell Island where we had planned to spend a few nights. The rain just poured as we anchored - we were like drowned rats - drenched to the skin.
When the rain finally stopped we went ashore to explore - only to get rained on yet again. Three changes of clothes for the day and we are still drying out equipment, clothing and towels from the day!
Scawfell is quite an amazing and beautiful island - being reasonably steep and high. It too was in shrouds of fog and mist continually.
We woke yesterday to more shrouds of mist and cloud - quite spectacular.
As Graham ate his breakfast he also caught dinner off the back of the boat - 3 threadfin bream.
By midday the sun was shining, and we were able to enjoy the glorious sandy beaches, water and warmth. Then 1000's of blue butterflies started flying past Echo Beach and across the bay - they were everywhere and went all afternoon - probably the first time they could fly after all the wind and rain.
Then a try at snorkelling - the anchorage has quite a few corals and bommies right where you think it would be OK to anchor - so it's a reminder to stay true to the advice books here.
We had a calm, cloud free evening with drinks on the deck watching the sun go down before savouring the freshly caught BBQ fish.
Today we woke to a perfect day - and with the 3 other boats in the bay leaving early, we were alone and had the most sensational sunny calm and flat water tropical day - all by ourselves.
We walked along the beach, swam, read, floated amongst the coral (you didn't need to snorkel - it was so calm and clear you could see it all from the dinghy) with not another sound or soul around. In sunshine, the water is such a glorious colour - blues, greens and everything in between. It doesn't get much better than this.
Graham was keen to catch fish for dinner again so we returned to the beach late in the afternoon and true to form he caught it - brassy trevally which made a delightful meal.
The wind has picked up now, and although not ideal, we will be safe and comfortable tonight with plans to move on to Brampton Island tomorrow.
Sensational Scawfell is just that!
Breaking news!!! - and just as sensational is the news we learnt while here that we have a new little grandson, Josh Cooper Rimmer, has joined the world courtesy of Graham's daughter Belinda and partner Matt. He's a little cutey and we can't wait to see him in a few weeks when we will return to Sydney and Perth.
Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Beach
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 405
Hailing Port: Newport, NSW
Crew: Graham & Leanne
Echo Beach's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 13 June 2019
1 Photo
Created 30 March 2013