Echo Beach

26 October 2019
26 October 2019
24 October 2019
22 October 2019
18 October 2019
14 October 2019
08 October 2019
06 October 2019
05 October 2019
01 October 2019
29 September 2019
18 September 2019
16 September 2019
14 September 2019
06 September 2019
04 September 2019
03 September 2019

Gladstone - and a hot trip to Heron!

16 October 2013 | Gladstone, Heron Island and surrounds
Warm sunny
Getting into Gladstone gave Skipper a navigational challenge -actually I'm sure that's one main reason why we are here! We came via the Northern Channel - across and around the maze of reefs, sandbanks and little island that dominate the area between Curtis Island and Facing Island . We had to wait for a couple of metres of tide and a rising tide so that we could get through and then it was all eyes peeled for the various leads and beacons. A reasonable wind and current existed which also added some challenge - but at the end of the day with total concentration it was safe and quite interesting to take the 1.5 hr journey through this entrance - shorter than the southern entrance alternative. The tide 'spat' us out into Gladstone Harbour and amongst the countless ships, ferries, barges, pilot boats and tugs. The waterways activities and foreshore infrastructure are a sight to see - and we did so through a smoke and heat haze as we entered. Gladstone certainly looks and feels like the epicentre of all things minerals, energy and transport!
Jamie and Shana, Westpac colleagues of Skipper's, came down to say hi and we enjoyed a sunset drink on Echo Beach while catching up on the goss and getting some tips on Gladstone. That night we had a quick meal at the Port Curtis Sailing Club.
We had learnt that the access point to Heron Island was in fact Gladstone - with the ferry terminal and a booking office 500 metres from us! So on a whim in the morning we wandered up and snagged a great deal of an overnight stay in beachside suite with transport and meals included (and cheaper than all the online travel last minute web deals we reviewed!).
An hour later we were on the ferry for the 2 hour fast trip to Heron Island! We saw a lot of the southern Great Barrier Reef on the way there and back going close to Polmaise Reef, Mast Head Island, Erskine Island and Wistari Reef. Our room also looked out to Wreck Island and Wilson Island, and occasionally you could see North West Island in the distance. Heron Island is basically a coral cay and marine reserve - the scenery , water and marine life just spectacular in the sunshine, particularly arriving at low tide. Heron Island also houses a research station where much of the turtle and coral research activity is done and while we didn't get the chance, you can do tours and learn more about this on the island. We literally had less than 24 hours on Heron so we enjoyed the evening and morning sun, sand and snorkelling. On Thursday morning we did a snorkel trip to the drop off area at Wistari Reef which was a great experience - we pretty much swam back to Heron Island!. Lots of fish life, large reef sharks and big turtles - all along pretty coral bommies and reefs. There was also a huge amount of large reef sharks, turtles and other fish life always around the jetty at the island and it was awesome snorkelling here with them as well - in fact the jetty and old wreck at the channel entrance was a great snorkel spot.
The Island was our 'first sleep' on land since our trip back home in June and we had a big bed to boot - luxury compared to our space on the boat! Our room on Heron was beachside and with all the sounds of waves crashing over the reef and the wind whistling through the trees, at one point I woke and could have sworn I was rocking and on the boat! It was heartening to note that we saw no other yachts out in the wide expanse of these reef islands (with nothing in between) and it validated our decision not to go there ourselves in Echo Beach! It really isn't an area you go to safely and confidentially unless it is calm weather and maybe another boat with you for safety. We did have a great treat on beautiful Heron Island for a night!
The marina at Gladstone is also a surprising find with great facilities, the cheapest washing facilities and full of opportunity with large waterside buildings and infrastructure - very underutilised in our view but who knows in decades to come...
We are leaving today (Thurs 17/10) in calmer and cooler weather - well, I guess we are getting south for the 5 hour journey to Pancake Creek, then onto Bundaberg before more southerly blusters.

Comments
Vessel Name: Echo Beach
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 405
Hailing Port: Newport, NSW
Crew: Graham & Leanne
Echo Beach's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 13 June 2019
1 Photo
Created 30 March 2013