Dreamin' of Sailing

Puerto Escondido

13 February 2017
We missed this stop when our caravan visited here, as we had stayed behind while Robert and Bernice got their truck repair done. There is an amazing harbor with some facilities (no RV park, but showers, restrooms, laundry) for the boaters. Our caravan was supposed to stay here, just camping out in the parking lot, but due to a change in ownership they were turned away and stayed in an RV park down the road. We thought we'd give it a try and see if by chance they would let us stay. Initially the security guard at the gate turned up s down, but we kept chatting, and then he suggested we talk to the lady in the marina office. So we went to the office, she said they no longer let RV's stay but she would call the owner and ask for us. Finally we got the "yes" we were hoping for. $200 pesos for the night ($10 USD) which was well worth it for the beautiful facilities and the view. In addition, Dave had received some autocad files for the Mulege water system but had no way to view them or print them. An architect with a big plotter/printer happened to work in the marina office. Dave asked if we could print the files, and Luis spent about an hour reformatting the autocad files and printing five big plans in color. He wouldn't accept any money for his time or the prints and was very appreciative of the Rotary project we were working on. Sometimes we just scratch our head and wonder why people are so nice!

Puerto Escondido is known as a "hurricane hole" for boaters as it is very protected and supposedly a safe harbor for hurricanes. However, we were parked by a small camper that appeared to be a permanent fixture in the parking lot. Come to find out, our neighbor (Roy) had a boat that was damaged in Hurricane Odile. He has spent the winters since then doing repairs to get it sea worthy again. Apparently this harbor turned into a 'washing machine' and many boats were damaged or sank.

We were fortunate to meet Roy, who has been enjoying Baja for 27 years. He gave us some tips for places to see, so instead of heading directly back to Mulege we are going to take the road less traveled and see some new sights.

I keep thinking we've found our favorite spot. I am developing quite a list of favorites. What is amazing about this harbour is that it backs up to the most amazing mountain range. It is a spectacular setting.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elara
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 mk2
Hailing Port: La Conner, WA
Crew: Dave and Mari Latimer
About: Dave and Mari live in La Conner, WA, and sail the San Juan Islands and surrounding waters. The blog is used for both sailing and RV adventures.
Extra:
Elara is the 8th largest moon of Jupiter, and is named after Elara, one of the lovers of Zeus and the mother of the giant, Tityus. She was a mortal princess, the daughter of King Orchomenus. Zeus hid her from his wife, Hera, deep within the Earth, where she gave birth to Tityus. We sailed a boat [...]
Elara's Photos - Main
88 Photos
Created 19 December 2016
40 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
71 Photos
Created 17 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
46 Photos
Created 23 May 2013
Enjoy some photos of our 2012 adventures between St. Helens and Astoria. Stops include Cathlamet, Ilwaco and Astoria.
13 Photos
Created 17 May 2013