Elevation - World Adventures

An occasional blog covering our world circumnavigation.

24 September 2020 | Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina
07 September 2020 | Cairns
14 August 2020 | The Cassowary Coast
24 June 2020 | Coral Sea Coast
14 June 2020 | Whitsundays
23 May 2020 | Queensland Coast
09 April 2020
12 March 2020 | Manly, Qld
11 March 2020 | Coffs Harbour
07 March 2020 | Port Stephens, NSW
31 December 2019 | Sydney, Australia
18 September 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
03 September 2019 | Hunter Valley, NSW
03 August 2019 | Sydney, Australia
02 July 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
03 June 2019 | Perth, Australia
24 May 2019 | Fremantle, Western Australia
23 May 2019 | Perth, Western Australia

Beautiful Bantry Bay

04 February 2019 | Bantry Bay, NSW
Jill
There is something surreal about sitting on a mooring in the midst of native bushland just a few kilometres away from the centre of Sydney's bustling CBD. Bantry Bay, the sole remaining undeveloped cove in Sydney Harbour, is the centrepiece of the 2202 hectare Garigal National Park. Estimated to have been occupied for tens of thousands of years before European settlement, the park is home to over 100 recorded sites of the Guringai people including shelters, cave art, rock engravings, an abundance of middens and several tool sharpening grinding grooves. The traditional owners were coastal dwellers; the most famous being Bungaree, the first Aboriginal to be recorded in print as Australian. Bungaree accompanied Matthew Flinders onboard HMS Norfolk in 1798 acting as interpreter, guide and negotiator whilst Flinders completed a coastal survey of the NSW coast. He rejoined Flinders for the 1801-1803 HMS Investigator coastal exploration, providing diplomatic, interpretive and survival skill services as the expedition completed a full circumnavigation of Australia. Flinders was very much a fan of Bungaree, and his memoirs note his "good disposition and open and manly conduct", his bravery and his ability to defuse potential conflict situations with other Aboriginal peoples as they made their way around the continent.

Garigal forms part of a very important wildlife corridor spanning from Sydney Harbour out to the Blue Mountains. It's home to an amazing array of native animals, including the tiger quoll, the southern brown bandicoot and the eastern water dragon. There are stunning sandstone cliffs heavily forested with scribbly and red gum, grass trees, banksia, Australian tea tree and even the occasional stand of cycads. It's not old growth - the area was extensively logged in the 1800's - but it does provide a snapshot of how this whole area would have looked prior to colonial settlement. Today, you can follow the Timber Getters track from the National Park wharf to Seaforth Oval, a steep if short hike which provides amazing views of Bantry Bay below.

Gazetted as a public recreation area in 1879, Bantry Bay quickly became a popular daytrip and weekend destination known locally as "The Pleasure Gardens". By the start of the 20th Century it boasted a dance hall, picnic ground, a dining area and several summer gazebos and was serviced by the Balmain New Ferry. The seclusion led to the resumption of the land in 1906 for a government run explosives battery - despite an enormous public outcry - and the complex remained operational until 1974. The battery was mostly run as a commercial operation and stored explosives used for such projects as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the cities underground tunnels and railway system and the Newcastle Highway as well as servicing the NSW mining industry. During WW2, it was commandeered by the Allied Forces and used as a munition's depot for the war in the Pacific. Following its closure, the land was incorporated into the Davidson State Recreation Area. The NSW Government agreed to repair the complex however with contamination from lead and zinc, to date only one building has received any attention. There are eight public moorings in the bay provided through the very impressive NSW Road and Marine Services courtesy mooring scheme however other than a small public toilet block at the Timber Getters picnic spot on the eastern side of the bay, there are no other facilities.

We'd been informed by some local cruisers that Bantry Bay is a bull shark breeding site and that a number of attacks, including two fatalities, had occurred over the years. No swimming here then! Luckily the very pretty, clear water Flat Rock Beach is just a dinghy ride away should we need to cool off.

We are loving the serenity of the bay and each morning we are woken by the raucous laughter of the resident kookaburra choir. As we enjoy our first morning cuppa, the air explodes with the whip-crack duet calls of the eastern whip bird, a small, slim and black crested avian. As we consider breakfast options, the air reverberates with the cacophonous shrieks of cheeky sulphur crested cockatoos. Throughout the day assorted fish break the surface from time to time, silver gulls wheeling overhead endeavouring to share in whatever delicacies the fish are attracted to. On one very still, very hot Sydney afternoon we were amazed to see a metre long dragon swimming across the bay; we later spied a lone little penguin bobbing happily along the surface. As dusk arrives, we once again become the audience for the native birds, the kookaburras always being the last to sing the sun behind the western clifftop. It's a glorious reminder of the stunning natural beauty of our Lucky Country.

All well onboard.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elevation
Vessel Make/Model: Buizen 48 Mark II
Hailing Port: Fremantle, Western Australia
Crew: Paul & Jill
About:
After deciding to live our dream of sailing the world, one day at a time, we left home in April 2010. Since then, we've cruised the West Australian coast, the Kimberley, Northern Territory to Darwin, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. [...]
Extra: When we're at sea, we are contactable via a slow speed Email service we access through our HF radio. If you wish to touch base, send a message to vnw5919@sailmail.com. No photos or attachments though, as they won't transmit!
Home Page: http://nococonuts.wix.com/sv-elevation
Elevation's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 11 April 2018
11 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
18 Photos
Created 9 April 2018
14 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
19 Photos
Created 29 March 2018
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Days 1-4 of Our 2 Island Road Trip
22 Photos
Created 25 March 2018
A few snaps of our recent road trip with friends Paul and Heather
34 Photos
Created 1 February 2018
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
A Day Trip to Kingstown
17 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
A Day Out on the Coast
21 Photos
Created 16 June 2006