Elevation - World Adventures

An occasional blog covering our world circumnavigation.

24 September 2020 | Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina
07 September 2020 | Cairns
14 August 2020 | The Cassowary Coast
24 June 2020 | Coral Sea Coast
14 June 2020 | Whitsundays
23 May 2020 | Queensland Coast
09 April 2020
12 March 2020 | Manly, Qld
11 March 2020 | Coffs Harbour
07 March 2020 | Port Stephens, NSW
31 December 2019 | Sydney, Australia
18 September 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
03 September 2019 | Hunter Valley, NSW
03 August 2019 | Sydney, Australia
02 July 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
03 June 2019 | Perth, Australia
24 May 2019 | Fremantle, Western Australia
23 May 2019 | Perth, Western Australia

Dawn Service

24 April 2019 | Newport, NSW
Jill
0500 on ANZAC Day 2019 sees us up and ready to leave Elevation. The waning moon sits high in the sky as we walk up the marina jetty and out onto the street, the last lunar beams lighting our way as we negotiate the footpath. There's a council bulk rubbish collection coming up and the grassy verges are awash with countless urban discards. Our destination this morning is the Newport Cenotaph, a tall marble chip pillar which holds pride of place at the entrance to Trafalgar Park. The kookaburras, nestled in the gumtrees, welcome us with their raucous morning chorus as we join the gathering group of locals for the Dawn Service. Students from the local primary school actively greet the assembled throng, handing out Order of Service booklets and freshly picked rosemary sprigs, kindly donated by the Newport Community Garden.

Last year, a small group of resident returned servicemen along with their families and friends, determinedly put processes in place in order to recommence this ANZAC tradition at Newport. Dwindling numbers of veterans had seen the closure of the local RSL in 1962, with the premises handed over to the local rugby club, the Breakers. The last ceremony at the Cenotaph was held in 1966 and for over 50 years, the community have been compelled to travel to neighbouring suburbs to commemorate ANZAC Day. The 2018 organisers arrived at the park, expecting to be alone, and were blown away as they were joined by over 800 others; a clear beginning of a new tradition for this seaside community.

Today's service, coordinated by Colonel Matt Stevens, DSC, CSC, begins promptly at 0530, the haunting refrains of a single piper ushering in the new day as we come together under the trees at the memorial. An Acknowledgement to Country is performed before Col Stevens addresses us, providing details of the contribution of the towns residents, called to take up arms in two World Wars and subsequent other conflicts. He touches on the broader impacts of war; of the sacrifices made across so many battlefields - land, air and sea - across the planet; of the values and spirit of the ANZACs. He refers to the consequences of conflict... of the shocking losses; of the heartbreak of mothers and sweethearts; of the aftermath.The crowd is invited to sing "Abide With Me' before a prayer is offered up by one of the Year 7 School Captains. The Ode is then given by Captain Andrew Charles, a serving officer and a descendent of one of Newport's most decorated military families; the familiar words echoing across the park before the Australian flag is lowered to half mast. The Last Post, which always brings a tear or two to my eyes, is sounded by a lone bugler. As its last notes drift away, we observe a minutes silence. As dawns rays lighten the sky to the accompaniment of Reveille, the flag is once again raised and the crowd sing firstly the New Zealand National Anthem and then Advance Australia Fair. Wreaths are laid at the foot of the Cenotaph and closing thanks are given to everyone participating. We estimate there are around 1500 folk of all ages gathered together, a clear sign that the ANZAC spirit here is both strong and growing. It's been almost a decade since we were last in Australia for ANZAC Day and we feel honoured to be able to join this tightly knit Northern Beaches community to pay our respects. Now we'll just have to see how we fare against them at Two- Up at the Bowling Club!

Lest We Forget.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elevation
Vessel Make/Model: Buizen 48 Mark II
Hailing Port: Fremantle, Western Australia
Crew: Paul & Jill
About:
After deciding to live our dream of sailing the world, one day at a time, we left home in April 2010. Since then, we've cruised the West Australian coast, the Kimberley, Northern Territory to Darwin, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. [...]
Extra: When we're at sea, we are contactable via a slow speed Email service we access through our HF radio. If you wish to touch base, send a message to vnw5919@sailmail.com. No photos or attachments though, as they won't transmit!
Home Page: http://nococonuts.wix.com/sv-elevation
Elevation's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 11 April 2018
11 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
18 Photos
Created 9 April 2018
14 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
19 Photos
Created 29 March 2018
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Days 1-4 of Our 2 Island Road Trip
22 Photos
Created 25 March 2018
A few snaps of our recent road trip with friends Paul and Heather
34 Photos
Created 1 February 2018
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
A Day Trip to Kingstown
17 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
A Day Out on the Coast
21 Photos
Created 16 June 2006