Elevation - World Adventures

An occasional blog covering our world circumnavigation.

24 September 2020 | Crystalbrook Super Yacht Marina
07 September 2020 | Cairns
14 August 2020 | The Cassowary Coast
24 June 2020 | Coral Sea Coast
14 June 2020 | Whitsundays
23 May 2020 | Queensland Coast
09 April 2020
12 March 2020 | Manly, Qld
11 March 2020 | Coffs Harbour
07 March 2020 | Port Stephens, NSW
31 December 2019 | Sydney, Australia
18 September 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
03 September 2019 | Hunter Valley, NSW
03 August 2019 | Sydney, Australia
02 July 2019 | Pittwater, NSW
15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
03 June 2019 | Perth, Australia
24 May 2019 | Fremantle, Western Australia
23 May 2019 | Perth, Western Australia

A Vivid Valediction

15 June 2019 | Sydney, Australia
Jill
Vivid Sydney, now in it's eleventh year, is a fascinating and fabulous light show fittingly touted as Australia's most loved and awarded festival. Running from mid-May to mid-June, it's a four week full on extravaganza of amazing light installations, visual art and mesmerising laser projections. What better way to mark our last wintery 2019 weekend in the City of Sails than to enjoy an evening Vivid Harbour Cruise with our local mate Margie?

Arriving at Kings Wharf, we clambered onboard the restored historic ferry MV Royale and staked our places topside on the port bow. The clear night sky and the calm conditions made it an ideal, if somewhat chilly, evening for a 90 minute tour of wonderful Sydney harbour, a place that we have certainly come to love during our time here. Luckily we had all dressed for the conditions - jeans, jackets, scarves and boots, with gloves and beanies in reserve ... just in case! We departed the dock just after 1830, chugging out past the changing kaleidoscope of underwater imagery projected onto the roof of the National Maritime Museum and around the point at Barangaroo. The laughing face of Luna Park was to our left as we glided under the "Coathanger" and across to Farm Cove where we hovered to take in the splendour of the stunningly decorated sails of the Opera House. This year's Lighting of the Sails display, entitled "Austral Flora Ballet" beautifully showcased the work of Chinese-American artist Andrew Thomas Huang. What an amazing amalgamation of colourful and vibrant floral images - it's no wonder this display has been most photographed aspect of Vivid 2019.

Replete with the vibrancy of the sails, we then took a slow turn around the cove, coming face to face with the spectacle of the Sydney Harbour Bridge's "City Sparkle", a masterpiece of flashing, flickering colourful light beams. The pulsing lasers illuminated the silhouette of the iconic steel spans, the beams reaching up as if to touch the waxing half moon as it sat high above the bridge's curves. We motored past Milsons Point, where the rotating ferris wheel and the vibrant glow of Sydney's much loved amusement park added to the Vivid vibe, before once again entering Darling Harbour, just in time for their Saturday night fireworks display. What a bright and brilliant night - highly recommended if you happen to be in Sydney in late autumn/early winter!

All vibrantly vivid and well in the city.
Comments
Vessel Name: Elevation
Vessel Make/Model: Buizen 48 Mark II
Hailing Port: Fremantle, Western Australia
Crew: Paul & Jill
About:
After deciding to live our dream of sailing the world, one day at a time, we left home in April 2010. Since then, we've cruised the West Australian coast, the Kimberley, Northern Territory to Darwin, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand. [...]
Extra: When we're at sea, we are contactable via a slow speed Email service we access through our HF radio. If you wish to touch base, send a message to vnw5919@sailmail.com. No photos or attachments though, as they won't transmit!
Home Page: http://nococonuts.wix.com/sv-elevation
Elevation's Photos - Main
2 Photos
Created 11 April 2018
11 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
18 Photos
Created 9 April 2018
14 Photos
Created 8 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 7 April 2018
21 Photos
Created 4 April 2018
15 Photos
Created 31 March 2018
19 Photos
Created 29 March 2018
15 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Days 1-4 of Our 2 Island Road Trip
22 Photos
Created 25 March 2018
A few snaps of our recent road trip with friends Paul and Heather
34 Photos
Created 1 February 2018
27 Photos
Created 12 April 2017
A Day Trip to Kingstown
17 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
A Day Out on the Coast
21 Photos
Created 16 June 2006