Elixir of New Zealand

Elixir NZ 2016 Italy to Isola d'Elba then to Bastia on Corsica

11 July 2016
02 July 2016


1150 We pulled out of Notturno with no wind and 53 miles to go to Isolotto. So it was the drone of the motor for the 4hrs up the Italian coast with not much to look at as we travelled with the land just a line along the horizon. We were indeed ready 2when the wind finally arrived and we could go back to sailing again. So under full sail with the 13knt wind on our beam we made 6.5knots.
1930 Anchored on our own by a tiny little island called Isolotto and indeed true to its name we felt truly isolated from the world.
03 July 2016
0900 Headed north again. This time we sailed to a bay on the south side of Elba a distance of 50 miles away. It started out well enough with full sails and great visibility but at around 1100 the weather turned and we got nor-easterly 30 knots with a heavy sea mist of all things. We had ships appearing out of the mist half a mile off that were of no real danger to us as we had them on radar and were well able to pick their course and speed in order that we would not allow ourselves to get too close. So the last part of the leg was quite arduous with two reefs in the main and a reduced headsail. Seas now short and uncomfortably rough.
1900 We anchored just offshore in a sheltered spot at Golfo Stello but were unable to get a good nights sleep due to the gusty conditions. Notwithstanding that our GPS anchor watch is almost infallible but once it goes off there would not be a great deal of time to react. So sleep was indeed fitful and I was pleased once night moved on daylight



04 July 2016
0800 Having put away a good breakfast we retrieved our anchor and proceeded to move around this Island of Elba. In ancient times it was a source of iron ore and there is evidence that it is still being mined there today. Of interest also is that it is the island to which Napoleon was exiled in 1814 from whence he embarked on a campaign to return to France which he succeeded in achieving in 1815. We on the other hand enjoyed reading about him as we sailed quietly around the coast to the main port of Portoferraio where we stayed in a safe but basic marina.
06 July 2016
0800 Departed for Macinaggio on Corsica and enjoyed a windless motor in hot conditions for most of the 40 mile leg of our journey.


1400 Arrived at Macinaggio and found that it would be best to anchor in clear water just out from the marina. We enjoyed this anchorage in company with a myriad of other cruising yachts that were making their way around Corsica or else getting ready to move over to Italy. The water was clear and beautiful to swim in and best all was quiet and flat.
07 July 2016





After a short sail north to check out the conditions at Cap Corse we turned south and sailed close to shore 12 miles to a little town built on a hillside with a very small bay and an even smaller powerboat marina. We of course had to stay in the bay and use our rubber ducky to ferry backwards and forwards to the town. It was a delightful stop with true and authentic local fishermen and everyday shops and cafes. Jenny took the opportunity to take a bus to Bastia and back to have a look see but someone needed to stay behind and watch out for weather shifts, so that was me, I must say however that I do not find those occasions at all onerous as I always enjoy just messing around on the boat.

10 July 2016
Started motor to haul anchor and must have sucked a bit of plastic bag into our engine water intake. The result of this event saw the motor quickly overheat while we were on the foredeck attending the anchor and it burned out our rubber water impeller. I heard the engine alarm and went immediately to investigate but unfortunately was not quick enough to save our impeller. I had a second hand, slightly damaged spare impeller which I fitted after replacing our anchor on the putty. Fingers crossed after the replacement to see if it would work but an examination of our exhaust water exit on the side of elixir showed only diesel fumes and no water. Engine was immediately switched off. As there was a 5knt breeze from a favourable direction we decided that we would sail from the anchorage without the use of the motor and proceed to Bastia and there get a tow into the marina itself to buy impeller parts and effect repairs.


Picture thanks to Google Earth as we had nobody to man the camera!

The sailing went okay and it was not until we were stationed right outside the marina that we found that we were unable to raise anybody on the VHF radio who could assist us. So I relaunched the rubber ducky and placed our 5 hp mercury outboard thereon. Lashed the whole dingy along the side of Elixir and started the outboard. Jenny in the meantime was having a bit of a girl moment when I announced that she would be on Elixir by herself and that she would have to do the steering from there, no debate or choice, as it would be impossible to steer Elixir with the small outboard. Thus we entered the marina around a very tight corner amongst the rocks. Jenny did very well to get us inside as I controlled the outboard so we then proceeded to find a spare space and tied very quietly alongside.
Now here is the rub! I had forgotten that once you drain the water from the engine intake it takes about 30 seconds of the motor running to start the cooling water flowing through the exhaust system again. Once we were safely tied up and I had the opportunity with settled nerves to read the instruction manual I found out this piece of vital information. So I started the motor again and waited, sure enough after 30 seconds we had copious amounts of water exciting our exhaust. There indeed had been no reason to use the dingy backup propulsion system. I put it down to experience and at least now know that there is an ability if ever needed to use our rubber ducky as a tugboat over a short distance. Jenny, it appears, is really good to go under pressure situations. I installed a brand new impeller in Bastia and bought a spare for our spares locker.


Comments
Vessel Name: Elixir NZ
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 45 Classic
Hailing Port: Tauranga, New Zealand
Crew: Ted & Jenny Peacocke
About:
Blog of the cruises of Elixir a Dufour 45 Classic bought by New Zealand couple Ted and Jenny Peacocke in June 2007 taking delivery in Kinsale, Ireland. [...]
Elixir NZ's Photos - Main
3 Photos
Created 9 July 2023
30 Photos
Created 8 July 2023
20 Photos
Created 6 July 2023
11 Photos
Created 5 July 2023
19 Photos
Created 2 July 2023
37 Photos
Created 24 September 2022
44 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
25 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2022
40 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
30 Photos
Created 18 September 2022
10 Photos
Created 17 September 2022
No Photos
Created 17 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 16 September 2022
61 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
No Photos
Created 15 September 2022
64 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
299 Photos
Created 15 September 2022
54 Photos
Created 14 September 2022
103 Photos
Created 13 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 12 September 2022
70 Photos
Created 12 September 2022
26 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
96 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
24 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
45 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
43 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
18 Photos
Created 11 September 2022
67 Photos
Created 10 September 2022
128 Photos
Created 9 September 2022
26 Photos
Created 7 September 2022
23 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
33 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
8 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
11 Photos
Created 6 September 2022
22 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
No Photos
Created 5 September 2022
40 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
35 Photos
Created 5 September 2022
2 Photos
Created 4 September 2022
43 Photos
Created 4 September 2022
25 Photos
Created 3 September 2022
30 Photos
Created 3 September 2022
29 Photos
Created 2 September 2022
7 Photos
Created 2 September 2022
33 Photos
Created 1 September 2022
16 Photos
Created 29 August 2022
68 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
13 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
2 Photos
Created 25 August 2022
75 Photos
Created 23 August 2022
22 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
35 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 19 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 18 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 18 August 2022
6 Photos
Created 16 August 2022
17 Photos
Created 15 August 2022
1 Photo
Created 15 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 15 August 2022
12 Photos
Created 14 August 2022
24 Photos
Created 14 August 2022
16 Photos
Created 12 August 2022
25 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
21 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
10 Photos
Created 11 August 2022
26 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
12 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
7 Photos
Created 10 August 2022
58 Photos
Created 8 August 2022
59 Photos
Created 6 August 2022
72 Photos
Created 5 August 2022
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2022

The South Seas Sailors

Who: Ted & Jenny Peacocke
Port: Tauranga, New Zealand