Aroundoceans with SV Emerald Sea

Our journey on water

25 March 2018 | Victoria. British Columbia
05 October 2017 | Victoria BC
24 August 2017 | Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
27 July 2017 | Reeds Bay, Hilo, Hawaii
10 July 2017 | Reeds Bay, Hilo, Hawaii
22 June 2017 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
18 June 2017 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
12 June 2017 | Humane, French Polynesia
05 June 2017 | Moorea, French Polynesia
05 June 2017 | Tahiti
07 May 2017 | Tahiti, French Polynesia
21 April 2017 | Fakarava, Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
05 April 2017 | Tahanea Atoll. Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
05 April 2017 | Makemo Atoll, Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
07 March 2017 | Rikitea, Mangareva, Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
20 February 2017 | Rikitea, Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
14 January 2017 | Playita, Panama City, Panama
02 January 2017 | La Plait, Panama City
17 December 2016 | Isla Nargana
16 December 2016 | San Blas, Panama

Energy Upgrade

14 January 2016 | False Bay Yacht Club, Simons Town, South Africa
Steve
There's so much to enjoy in the amazing Western Cape and Cape Town area! We've managed to become foodies and wino's in the regions of Stellenbosch, Franschoek and Paarl. And I've beome hooked on two red wines, a red pinoage, called 'Chocolate Block' and a merlot call'Misha'. Its locally made of course and we have recently stocked the bilges with it figuring we wont get such great wines at this price for some time. I've mostly been a white wine person before this but CB had changed that! We've also toured up and down the Garden Route up to Plattenburg taking in the magnificent scenes along the coastal roads, the flat arid lands of Karboo and their ostriches, historical sites, windy gorges, museums, caves, an animal retirement home, friendly B&B's, glorious wine estates, etc. It's been great fun and with the Rand at a historical low against most major currencies, offers a great bargain.

In Richards Bay I installed the Watt & Sea hydrogenerator but haven't had a chance to run it up until the LiFePO4 batteries were installed as the dedicated charger is configured for the lithium input amperages. I engaged C-Dynamics Cape Town, an authorized MasterVolt dealer, to supply the battery system components, technical interfacing and the installation/commissioning services of Steve Outen, the marine electrical tech. Both C-Dynamics and Steven did a great job and gets high kudos.

Removing the six existing batteries was easy enough, but heavy going, and Steven checked these and sure enough, they were on their last legs. On the first day we had the Mastervolt MLI Ultra 5000's (2x 360Ahrs) installed (what a weight saving!) along with a new DC distribution unit, 3x stop/safety relays and a new shunt. We also reinstalled the solar and hydrogenerator MPPT chargers. The following day the Mastervolt Chargemaster 12V/100 (new) was installed in the engine room, replacing the Cristec 60A charger, and all new cables run. Connections were all made up including to the Mastervolt EasyView BMS (existing) and Mastervolt Combi Inverter (2000W; existing). Following confirmation that all the wiring was correctly installed and connected the commissioning commenced. A software interface system was also installed (MasterAdjust) onto my PC that allows a complete overview of the house battery system and adjustment if needed. With a wifi connection I'm also able to receive real-time support from MasterVolt Netherlands or C-Dynamics including firmware updates.

Steven applied a systematic startup approach and all check-out OK. We have lots of DC power! Now we'll spend the rest of days in Simons Town on the house batteries and exercise some of the stop-events and alarms ensuring all is up to spec.

The next part is to re-program my mind! Monitoring and maintaining LiFePO4 batteries are very different from lead acid types. For the most part, the MasterVolt system is self-contained where all integrated tasks for cell balancing, charging, discharging, alarms are optimally and automatically performed but I still need to completely understand it - Murphy lives around the corner! It will take a few weeks of monitoring and re-learning.

Our primary sources of charge are the Sunpower 990W/70A solar modules and the Watt&Sea 300W hydrogenerator. The secondary charge sources are the Genset/new 100A battery charger and two engine alternators (switched). The existing Valeo alternators haven't remote voltage regulators that would allow output voltage adjustments to be made for the LiFePO4 battery charging, thus we installed a manual switch allowing them to charge to the house batteries if needed. In this case, should any of the above charge sources fail, I'm able to switch on the engines/alternators to charge the house batteries, for say an hour, and then switch them off thus maintaining the integrity of the alternators and preventing them from burning up. I may consider upgrading the alternators at a later date.

We've maintained the emergency cross-overs allowing the house batts to supply to the engine starters if needed. The engines and genset have their own independent batteries and chargers.

What Matervolt says about the advantages of Lithium Ion batteries:

"Lithium Ion is the battery technology of today. Do you want to be the fastest or best performing? Do you want to save energy or burn fuel? Do you want your investment to last longer? Do you want to be ‘out there’ longest without getting anxious about your energy? Then Lithium Ion is your choice of batteries. A few of its additional features include:

Significant usable energy
Space and weight savings up to 70 %.
Three times the lifespan of traditional batteries (2000 cycles).
Extremely fast charging and discharging.
High efficiency: not wasting energy.
Safe operation.
Safest Lithium Ion technology available

Just received some good news on where my old batteries went. There is an older gentleman with a chronic bronchial condition who needs a 220V ventilator run 24/7 to keep him going. The area that he lives in has quite a few power cuts and he near has a heart attack each time his ventilator goes off. Steven will use these batteries and connect them to a solar module with and automatic switching system that will kick-in when the AC power goes off.

We are now greener! Good news all around!
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald Sea
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Steve P, Rosemarie P
About:
This site charts the adventures and misadventures of our family and hopefully share some of the practical tips and tricks that we picked up along the way. As our experiences grows so will the site as we share with you our aroundoceans journey. [...]
Extra:
We untied the ropes from Keppel Marina in Singapore in August 2014 and haven't looked back. Across the Indian and around South Africa into the South Atlantic Oceans, the leeward Caribbean and South Pacific....with many stops along the way. And now, perhaps finally for this chapter, British [...]
Social:
Emerald Sea's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 10 of 10
1
Keeping our carbon footprint to a minimum! Solar array extending over cockpit.
Clean fuel is essential to a maintenance free engine. Racor Dual 500s with vacuum gauge. We use 5 and 10 micron filters.
Emerald from aft - offshore Singapore.
Axel with baracudda.
Axel installing the Ocean Safety life raft. This is an ISO Ocean series and one we hope never to use!
Axel underwater following turtles at Tioman.
Solar frame mount showing the upper supports.
Aft view during the solar system installation.
The storm jib being installed.  We will be seen!  Sail blogs took an upright photo and rotated it!
 
1
Hawaii was a stop over on our way to Canada however we were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our 3 weeks in Big Hawaii.
13 Photos
Created 27 July 2017
No Photos
Created 27 July 2017
A selection from 1000's of photos from out 6 months in French Polynesia. But were missing the photos from Gambier, Makemo, Tahanea.....
17 Photos
Created 27 July 2017
We transited the Panama Canal on 30-31st December 2016.
20 Photos
Created 2 January 2017
5 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Barbados, Martinique, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Grenada. A few of our photos captured here.
10 Photos
Created 22 October 2016
Photo fun...
3 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
10-15 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
What doesn't fit into the albums will be found here....
15 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
26 June to 13 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
5 February to 13 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
17 July to 12 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
29 May to 25 June 2015
20 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
16 April to 20 May 2015
18 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
Photos from Singapore to Langkawi
7 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
Our first 2 weeks out in East Malaysia (Sept 14)
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
Our Bon voyage party with our yachtie neighbors.
3 Photos
Created 24 August 2014
In June 14 we sailed up to Pulau Tioman for our first journey of living on this new boat and trialing new equipment including the drogue system, storm jib, solar system and other vessel installations.
6 Photos
Created 17 July 2014