Aroundoceans with SV Emerald Sea

Our journey on water

25 March 2018 | Victoria. British Columbia
05 October 2017 | Victoria BC
24 August 2017 | Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
27 July 2017 | Reeds Bay, Hilo, Hawaii
10 July 2017 | Reeds Bay, Hilo, Hawaii
22 June 2017 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
18 June 2017 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
12 June 2017 | Humane, French Polynesia
05 June 2017 | Moorea, French Polynesia
05 June 2017 | Tahiti
07 May 2017 | Tahiti, French Polynesia
21 April 2017 | Fakarava, Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
05 April 2017 | Tahanea Atoll. Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
05 April 2017 | Makemo Atoll, Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
07 March 2017 | Rikitea, Mangareva, Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
20 February 2017 | Rikitea, Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
14 January 2017 | Playita, Panama City, Panama
02 January 2017 | La Plait, Panama City
17 December 2016 | Isla Nargana
16 December 2016 | San Blas, Panama

Tahanea

05 April 2017 | Tahanea Atoll. Tuamotu's, French Polynesia
Steve
We did an overnight passage of 78nm from Makemo and arrived 06:00 and then waited a few hours for the outgoing tide to slacken to allow us to make the pass (Passe Teavatapu ) into the atoll - turbulent 2.5m upright waves when we arrived. At approx 0800 we made the passage favoring the east side of Teavatapu where water was more calm but we still had a few knots against us which was fine for maintaining steering. We anchored west of Teuakiri motu in about 3.5m with scattered bommies about. As usual I snorkeled out to see that our anchor had set and we didn't snarl around too many bommies. Tahanea has three passages of which the two western ones are easily navigable. The eastern one is narrower and shallower so why do this one?!

Once we had the anchor safely down we didn't waste much time getting the dinghy launched and headed over to Passe Motupuapua (furthest west pass) for a few hours of great drift snorkeling. It was an incoming tide thus clean clear ocean water pouring into the atoll - definitely the best time to dive or snorkel these passes. Later, at a coral field inside the atoll, I speared a few tasty groupers which we cooked up that evening.

There are a few Polynesian's on the motu's collecting copra. We met Melvina and her brother and grandfather from Faaite (the atoll next door). After chatting with Melvina about life she first gave me a handful of bananas and then later made us some bread and came by to give us two groupers. All with the biggest of smiles. I gave her a few goodies. The fantastic Polynesian generous hospitality still lives out here. Boy, could the world use more of this I thoughts!

The second day we did a number of long drift snorkels on the center pass (Teavatapu), again a fantastic view of the life and fish. And we experienced our first aggressive behavior from a Silvertip shark. Up until this moment, I hadn't known that SilverTip's were considered dangerous but our fish guide surely pointed this out. I first saw the Silveryip close to the bottom (15m) and then it moved to midwater, turned around and slowly came straight for me. I quickly glanced to see where the dinghy and Jeroen were - about 10m away - it was a quick backstroke while keeping my eyes on this shark. He got to within a few meters away, close enough to see the pupils of his whites eyes, before I made the fasted leap ever into the dinghy. It was Jeroen's fastest leap into a dinghy too. We later returned to this pass and sure enough there were four of them about and all came up to the surface around the dinghy. No snorkeling in this pass today!

Outboard Blues: "Carburetor heartbreaker, fuel pump had dumped me". I have a difficult time accepting that a mechanical contraption rules our lives! Our stay at Tahanea had been cut short as our Honda outboard has yet again let me down. We are house bound! After spending many hours and changing out a number of parts I haven't solved it. So we are off to find some service.

So after three wonderful days in beautiful Tahanea we headed to Fakarava which, besides promises of great diving and snorkeling, claims to have a few 'yacht service' providers. Lets go and find a 4 stroke outboard mechanic!
Comments
Vessel Name: Emerald Sea
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 450
Hailing Port: Singapore
Crew: Steve P, Rosemarie P
About:
This site charts the adventures and misadventures of our family and hopefully share some of the practical tips and tricks that we picked up along the way. As our experiences grows so will the site as we share with you our aroundoceans journey. [...]
Extra:
We untied the ropes from Keppel Marina in Singapore in August 2014 and haven't looked back. Across the Indian and around South Africa into the South Atlantic Oceans, the leeward Caribbean and South Pacific....with many stops along the way. And now, perhaps finally for this chapter, British [...]
Social:
Emerald Sea's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 10 of 10
1
Keeping our carbon footprint to a minimum! Solar array extending over cockpit.
Clean fuel is essential to a maintenance free engine. Racor Dual 500s with vacuum gauge. We use 5 and 10 micron filters.
Emerald from aft - offshore Singapore.
Axel with baracudda.
Axel installing the Ocean Safety life raft. This is an ISO Ocean series and one we hope never to use!
Axel underwater following turtles at Tioman.
Solar frame mount showing the upper supports.
Aft view during the solar system installation.
The storm jib being installed.  We will be seen!  Sail blogs took an upright photo and rotated it!
 
1
Hawaii was a stop over on our way to Canada however we were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our 3 weeks in Big Hawaii.
13 Photos
Created 27 July 2017
No Photos
Created 27 July 2017
A selection from 1000's of photos from out 6 months in French Polynesia. But were missing the photos from Gambier, Makemo, Tahanea.....
17 Photos
Created 27 July 2017
We transited the Panama Canal on 30-31st December 2016.
20 Photos
Created 2 January 2017
5 Photos
Created 17 December 2016
Barbados, Martinique, St Vincent & the Grenadines, Grenada. A few of our photos captured here.
10 Photos
Created 22 October 2016
Photo fun...
3 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
10-15 April 2016
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2016
What doesn't fit into the albums will be found here....
15 Photos
Created 20 December 2015
26 June to 13 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
5 February to 13 May 2015
17 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
17 July to 12 October 2015
16 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
29 May to 25 June 2015
20 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
16 April to 20 May 2015
18 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
Photos from Singapore to Langkawi
7 Photos
Created 12 November 2014
Our first 2 weeks out in East Malaysia (Sept 14)
5 Photos
Created 18 September 2014
Our Bon voyage party with our yachtie neighbors.
3 Photos
Created 24 August 2014
In June 14 we sailed up to Pulau Tioman for our first journey of living on this new boat and trialing new equipment including the drogue system, storm jib, solar system and other vessel installations.
6 Photos
Created 17 July 2014