Tales of Enchantment

also known as "Michelle and Vern's Excellent Adventure"

19 January 2021
11 November 2020 | Phuket, Thailand
08 August 2020
01 March 2020
17 November 2019
13 November 2018
29 August 2018
12 January 2016
27 December 2015
15 September 2015
25 June 2015
26 March 2014

Thailand bits and pieces

07 May 2021
Vern Noren
We have been "stuck" in Thailand for just over a year now. There are worse places to be stuck for sure. Phuket went 3 months without a new local case of Covid, then suddenly went from zero to 250+ in a matter of two weeks. The rest of the country is under severe restrictions in an effort to contain it again. Officials believe it all started with large groups of partying youths and other "socially entitled" in and around Bangkok. I just read the Thailand ranks 124th in the world for vaccine distribution.
It has not been boring. Since our last update several months ago we have become better friends with many of the locals, had $6,000 in damage to our boat, had our diesel engine commit suicide, and revisited my hippy days.
The photo gallery has many new pictures with no rhyme or reason to the assortment.

North Thailand

19 January 2021
Vern Noren
We took a 3 week trip to N Thailand to a region I have never been to before. Michelle toured parts of it several years ago when our son & grandson came to visit. The region is mountainous and mostly remote with many small towns and villages.

Many different ethnic groups live in the highlands, many with their own languages, customs, and beliefs. The weather is pleasantly cooler than down in Phuket, and things are a lot cheaper. Our most expensive hotel was $25/ night, most under $20, and the cheapest was $7/night with a balcony on the river.

Thailand Tales

11 November 2020 | Phuket, Thailand
Vern Noren
It has been a while since our last update and a lot has happened. We returned to the marina for a month to have some boat work completed and repairs made, then returned to Phi Phi for two weeks. There was a big festival starting in Phuket which we did not want to miss so we sailed back to Chalong Harbor and anchored for a week.
We were in a gray area with immigration, we never got visa’s when we arrived last March, just crew papers that said we could stay legally for 30 day, NO renewal, No possibility to get visa’s. We spent two months talking to immigration officials, visa agent’s, other cruisers, with no solutions. Complicating the situation the harbor masters were instructed not to clear out any yachts to leave the country until borders opened up. So one agency says you cannot stay, another says your boat/home cannot leave. Immigration policy changes every few weeks here so everyone remains confused. Eventually it got sorted out after many, many trips to immigration. Every 30 days we have to return to the main office and they will stamp us in for another 30 days until borders open, which could be mid 2021, no one knows. At least our stress is greatly reduced.
To make things interesting the following is how we spent the second night in Chalong.

After living on board 16 years, and cruising full time the last 11 years we had a new first. We have been anchored in Chalong Bay, Thailand for the last few days. Big anchor, 200 ft chain on a mostly mud bottom, 10-1 scope. We always back down at full throttle and our reversing prop give us almost full thrust. Around midnight, as another of many short squalls barreled through the anchorage Michelle went out to check wind speed and our position. All good. Ten minutes later the wind picked up again and when she checked this time we were less than 10 meters from a catamaran that used to be 100+ meters away.
For the first time ever we had dragged our anchor but this was not the time to celebrate. I took the wheel as she tried to get the anchor up. The chain jumped out of the bow roller toward the middle so now she is pulling it up across the teak front lip. As I struggled to gain some control and keep us off the other boat the anchor winch breaker kept tripping from the strain of the pull. Too noisy from the howling wind and rain communication was impossible and I could only guess which direction the chain was leading. Complicating the situation was the full awnings we had up. They hindered visibility forward and acted like sails, pushing us around with great force.
We finally got the anchor up and headed down wind behind all the other boats and dropped all 250 feet of chain, the 55lb Delta anchor, large snubber, and a prayer. We wrestled the awnings down, the wind dropped to about 20 kts, and we were happy again.
In hindsight I think the new awnings were the main factor in our dragging since it had never happened before and we have used this anchorage many times.
When we finally settled back down to finish a movie we had been watching my wife gave me a kiss and said we did that whole thing without yelling at each other, like that has ever happened.
Start to finish of our adventure was one hour. Since we did not damage anyone else, worked together smoothly, it was all sort of fun in a demented kind of way.

Still alive after Covid

08 August 2020
Vern Noren
After a long period of laziness I am updating our blog. The short story is about our Covid challenge. In mid March we sailed 200 miles across the Mallaca Straits and Andaman Sea to Northern Sumatra. Our intention was to join a group of other cruisers for an organized rally down the West coast. The day the rally officially began the Mayor of Sabang , our starting point, said he did not want us there because of the Covid scare. The next day there were guards at the port gates to keep us in. The following day the organizer told us the next rally stop told him not to come, and the one after that was still deciding.
Things were going downhill so we decided to drop out and went through formalities to clear out of Indonesia. Our new plan was to get to Langkawi, Malaysia as quickly as we could, 200 miles away. By the time we finished preparing to leave, Malaysia announced the closing of all borders. Our only other option was Phuket, Thailand, also 200 miles away. We were just hoping they would still be open. Thailand closed it's borders a week after we arrived. A week after that Phuket shut down the airport and were shutting down movement between provinces, with highway check points to assure compliance. Along with other shut downs of pretty much every thing.
We decided to go into a marina we have stayed at before so we would have easy access to a grocery store, boat supplies, ability to walk on land, plus see a few friends again. Shortly after that the marinas were banning all new arrivals. We were very lucky to make the right decisions. We know of many other boats that were stuck in anchorages and not allowed ashore. Arrangements were made to bring them food and supplies. The boats that continued with the rally were chased out of many harbors by police boats and scared locals. They were rumored to be carriers and few towns were willing to let them stop. Cruisers all over this part of the world were at sea when borders were closed. One family friend of ours has been stuck on their boat in Sri Lanka for 4 months now. Several other couples went up the Red Sea to the Med and were never allowed off their boat the whole passage, two months. Then a 14 day quarantine in the Med.

So any way, we are good. We spent 4 months in the marina which killed our budget. It is very expensive but at least we had unlimited fresh water and electricity. We got spoiled by being able to run our air conditioner. After the first 8 weeks the authorities started open things up slowly so we could move around Phuket. Despite the cost we were there long enough to make some new friends and felt like we were becoming a part of the local community.

Thailand did a great job containing the virus. Stay at home orders, mandatory masks, crack downs on big groups, contact tracing, temperature checks every where, and still continue. Alcohol was banned for 2 months. Thailand has not had any new local cases in 9 weeks. They just tested several thousand people would attended a crowded event, most not wearing masks despite the law. None of those tested had the virus.

Hey Ann Rowe Pramis, I can't find your email address

Check out the 2 new video links in FAVOITES section

02 March 2020
Vern Noren

We are still alive

01 March 2020
Vern Noren
Not much has happened since our last post but we thought we should update our blog anyway. Next weekend we start a new adventure. It starts with a sail from Phuket, Thailand to Sabang, Indonesia. We will sail down the Western coast of Sumatra, then up to Borneo. After a few months in Borneo we will join a small group to sail to NE Indonesia and work our way back to the S Pacific. We should each the Solomon Islands around Feb of next year.
Vessel Name: Enchantment
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 40
Hailing Port: Chicago
Crew: Vern & Michelle
Vern, originally from Chicago, has lived in New Orleans and the Nashville, Tn area. I have been sailing for almost 40 years, have logged over 15,000 offshore miles and hold a 100 ton masters license. I also work as a critical care nurse. [...]
Extra: We are currently finishing with upgrades and improvements to Enchantment in preparation for a 3-4 year cruise from Baltimore to New Zealand. Our cruising kitty will be fully funded and our departure date is set for Oct 2010 with a transit of the Panama Canal late February 2011
Enchantment's Photos - Just a few photo's
Photos 1 to 31 of 31 | Main
Brothers in Arms: I had a bicycle mishap on a remote island early Dec.  It was very painful and we suspected a few broken ribs.  By the time I got to a hospital,  18 hrs later,  it was discovered I had 6~7 rib fractures and a tension pneumo thorax ( collapsed lung).  Amazingly I was never short of breath.  This got me a 6 day hospital stay with a chest tube drain in my left side.  The hospital experience was horrible and too long to go into here.  lets just summarize and say there was zero nursing care available for the patients.   The poor man in the bed next to me had a similar experience when he got it by a car.  Fractured ribs,  collapsed lung,  plus  a crushed right foot  requiring metal braces inside and out to stabilize it.
Part of my rehab was to eat as much of the desert table at Christmas dinner as possible,  Rebak Marina.
The Escape Adventure Park in Penang, Malaysia is a great place to spend the day.  They have numerous ropes courses, bungie jumps,  trampolines, zips lines, etc.  The other side of the park is a giant water park with dozens of slides including the longest in the world at 1.1 km.  They even have one that loops vertically 360 degrees.  My camera broke so only a few photos
more ropes challenges
Michelle tries her hand at the trapeze
The staff are extremely friendly and always put safety first
The highest point of the big zip line course
Back in the marina in Phuket, Thailand.  Who would have guessed that hockey would be a big sport in a country just a few hundred miles N of the Equator
The Golden Mount Buddhist temple in Bangkok
344 steps to the top of the temple
The top
Bangkok has many night markets,  the Ratchada Train Market is one of the largest.  Clothes,  jewelry, junk,  and great food at good prices.  Buyer beware most "name brand" items are probably fake.   You can see many people with face masks for fear of the coronovirus.  Our dentist said bussines is down 50%.  A local friend had to close her tour business after 9 years due to no customers in over a month,  and not enough for the 6 months.  She started crying as she told us this.  There is no social safety net in Thailand and her money is almost gone.
I think most people go for the food.  This food stall set out samples of what they serve.  That pile of stuff at the top is boiled pig spines.  We saw a lot of people eating them so they must be good,  right
Our dinner was a huge plate of seafood.  3 crabs,  8 giant shrimp,  clams, snails, cockles, and a delicious fish,  all for about $22
You can always get insects for desert
This lady was making cheese covered scallops,  this was our desert
Jay Fai is a locally famous street food cook.  She was featured in a Net Flix documentary and awarded a Michellin Star a few years ago.  Now there is a 2 month wait for a reservation.  The best chance to get in is arrive early morning and put your name on the list.  They open at 2pm.  We signed up at 10:30  and were number 19
We arrived for lunch at 1:30, got seated around 3pm , and got our food just before 3:30.  One family waiting had number 52 with a flight to catch that night.
Her most famous dish is a crab omelette,  which we split.
There had to be at least a cup of lump crab meat in this omelette,  which is essentially a huge portion of crab with a very thin coating of egg to hold it in a bundle.
We also had the crab with yellow curry.  I don
Michelle had been pushing to see a lady boy show for the last year.  Not my cup of tea but I didn
This guy was really funny.  Not trying to look glamorous but playing the feminine role very well.  Michelle thought he was a "hoot"
Our last night in Bangkok we decided to sit along Soi Cowboy,  one of the main red light districts,  have a drink and watch the night unfold.  It is like a small world all its own.  I am sure the workers know most of each other and it is a community of sorts.  They even have food tuk tuks pass through offering tasty dishes to fill your belly.
There is no public nudity in the red light area,  nothing really obscene or lewd.  Inside is a different matter.  Michelle had never been in a strip club and I could not dissuade her from checking one out.  The club right behind her was advertising ping pong shows.  Google it...   I won