Endless Summer

Endless Summer is a 43ft Ian Farrier cruising catamaran.

12 March 2012 | Helen Reef
12 March 2012 | Helen Reef
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
12 March 2012 | Palau
15 November 2011
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guine
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
30 July 2011 | Kamatal Island, Louisiades, PNG
30 July 2011 | Kamatal Island, Louisiades, PNG
29 July 2011 | 10 56'S:152 42'E, Louisiade Achipelago
28 July 2011 | Panasia Island, Louisiades, PNG

Keith's blog post 5

30 July 2011 | Kavieng, and Manus Province, Papua New Guinea
Keith
Because of some rain squalls that hit as we got back to the boat, we didn't leave as early in the morning as we had intended. When we finally got underway, we scuttled the plan for our next destination and decided to move just 15 miles west to another small, remote island; Johnston Island (named by an American in WWII). When we arrived at Johnston we anchored near an absolutely beautiful tropic island which was small, ringed with a beach, lots of palm trees and other tropical growth in the middle, coral reef all around.

Once again, the canoes began arriving from a nearby island with a village. However, unlike the people from Pam Island, they spoke very little English and looked to be quite poor. One of the women who had paddled out said, "we don't have anything for you, but we have need of food and medicine." They invited us to come to the village to meet the village leader. It is also necessary to ask their permission to park the boat near their island. I stayed on the boat and Steve and Manjula took the dinghy to the village. What they reported back was that this was a very poor village of only 30 people, all from the same family, and that they lived in grass huts. Once again, the village leader said that we were the only cruising boat to ever stop near their island. There were only two or three people who spoke even a little English.

It's incredible how things happen in life. We left Pam Island with more food than we could possibly eat and later the same day encountered a group of people whose greatest immediate need was food. So, the next morning we assembled as much food as we could, some stickers, and a medical kit from some of the surplus supplies Steve and Manjula keep on board. Steve and I went to the village and Steve gave them our gifts and explained all of the medical things he had brought to them. They were very grateful and I think were a little embarrassed that they didn't have something for us. So, they sent a couple of children off and they returned with two turtle shells for us to take. They know little about endangered species and catch turtles for food. Manjula was a little horrified when we returned with the shells!
Comments
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Make/Model: F-41 sailing catamaran
Hailing Port: San Francisco, California
Crew: Steve May and Manjula Dean
About:
Over the last three years we have sailed nearly 17,000 miles. We departed from San Francisco, California, and have cruised in Mexico, across the Pacific Ocean through Polynesia, Melanesia, Australia, and Micronesia. [...]
Extra:
I have always had a deep love for the sea and the creatures that live in and around it. Having the opportunity to spend so many months on the ocean, and the shores of so many remote islands, has given me an up close look at some of the world’s most remote wildlife outposts. This experience has [...]
Endless Summer's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 8 of 8
1
Jonathan eyeballs the problem
Mickey is feeling a little overwhelmed at all the work putting the lines back together after pulling the mast.
The sails are stripped off, the boom is laying on the cabin top, and the lines are all loosened. Also the wiring harness has been cut to allow the mast to be raised.
Suki takes up her position inside the cabin while we are underway.
San Francisco from south of the Bay Bridge on a rare warm sunny day.
The ride home from the double handed Farallones Race
Manjula driving. She looks like the red barron with her scarf flying in the 30 knot breeze. The boat was surfing to the high teens with one surf to 20 knots.
Suki takes in the view of the coast guard station on Yerba Buena Island in San Francisco Bay.
 
1
Favorite photos of Australia
23 Photos
Created 28 May 2011
2nd half of the South Pacific crossing
220 Photos
Created 25 November 2010
Photos from our passage from LA, California to the Marquesas
50 Photos
Created 26 April 2010