Adventures of Eowyn of Hamble

Log of Eowyn's sailing adventures. Plan for 2021 is sail around Great Britain, if COVID allows enough ports to open!

14 September 2021 | Hamble
12 September 2021 | Port Hamble
11 September 2021 | Beaulieu River
10 September 2021 | Portland
09 September 2021 | Dittisham
02 September 2021 | Plymouth
01 September 2021 | Fowey
31 August 2021 | Falmouth
30 August 2021 | Penzance
26 August 2021 | Padstow
25 August 2021 | Lundy (Jenny's Cove)
24 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Sandy Haven Bay)
23 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Dale)
22 August 2021 | Fishguard
21 August 2021 | Arklow
19 August 2021 | Greystones
18 August 2021 | Malahide and Dublin
15 August 2021 | Malahide Marina
15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
14 August 2021 | Ardglass

Engine Failure!

05 May 2021 | Suffolk Yacht Harbour
Martin Crick
Finally, the wind came down to manageable levels overnight, so this morning I departed Hamford Water. Plan was to go into Harwich to get some stores, then head to the Deben tonight or tomorrow. However, as I motored up the approach to Harwich, the engine overheat alarm went. Quick investigation showed that the drive belt for the water pump and alternator had failed. Sail back out!

First plan was to sail up the Stour, which I thought would be easier for the wind angle (I was wrong), find a space in which to anchor, and change the belt. The tack up the Stour against the tide was hard work, but I did it and anchored successfully. Got the tools and spare belt out ... it doesn't fit. Since the alternator upgrade, I need a larger belt and hadn't changed it. Duh!

Consult pilot book. Looks like the best served marina that is easier to get into is Suffolk Yacht Harbour on the Orwell. Phoned them up, warning that I'd be coming in under sail singlehanded. No problem, as long as I was there by 5:30pm. Give them a call when I was about 20mins out.

So anchor up, sail with the wind down the Stour, tack up the Orwell but crucially now with the tide. Called the marina to give them warning. Sailed in as the wind decided that 6kts was boring, so lets gust up to 20kts. Grrrr!

Furled the jib as I entered the marina, and carried my way onto their fuel berth as instructed. In fact, carried rather too much of my way! But fortunately, the excellent staff were there in force - three of them. They grabbed the lines I threw, stopped her, and got me moored up with no drama. Can't thank them enough.

The mechanic on site doesn't have the right size in stock - Sod's Law is working overtime today - but should be able to get it by tomorrow. He'll fit it and investigate why it failed.

Log of this passage
Comments
Vessel Name: Eowyn of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk1 1993
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Martin Crick
Eowyn of Hamble's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.