Adventures of Eowyn of Hamble

Log of Eowyn's sailing adventures. Plan for 2021 is sail around Great Britain, if COVID allows enough ports to open!

14 September 2021 | Hamble
12 September 2021 | Port Hamble
11 September 2021 | Beaulieu River
10 September 2021 | Portland
09 September 2021 | Dittisham
02 September 2021 | Plymouth
01 September 2021 | Fowey
31 August 2021 | Falmouth
30 August 2021 | Penzance
26 August 2021 | Padstow
25 August 2021 | Lundy (Jenny's Cove)
24 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Sandy Haven Bay)
23 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Dale)
22 August 2021 | Fishguard
21 August 2021 | Arklow
19 August 2021 | Greystones
18 August 2021 | Malahide and Dublin
15 August 2021 | Malahide Marina
15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
14 August 2021 | Ardglass

A day ashore in Scarborough

27 May 2021 | Scarborough
Martin Crick
(The embedded images in this post may not show up on mobile devices; view them by clicking the "photo album" link bottom left)

The forecast suggested a better chance of favourable winds on Friday, so I delayed departure and spent a day ashore in Scarborough. Glad I did!

As I walked along the visitor's pontoon, I looked across to see a yacht being cleaned off and painted on the magnificent scrubbing grid.
A yacht on the scrubbing grid at Scarborough

At the head of the pontoon was a tourist information board about Arthur Strange. He was a yacht designer that I'd heard about through the Tally Ho! rebuild project on YouTube. Tally Ho was a yacht that won the Fastnet in 1925 and is being rebuilt in Washington State. Small world! Sadly, the museum and yacht club weren't open that day.

Tourist information board about Albert Strange, yacht designer

Walking along the pier between the two harbours, I had a great view looking down on Eowyn, showing the huge mudbank ready to catch the unwary out. When it came time to leave the next day, I reversed out taking care to stay close to the pontoon!

Eowyn alongside the visitors' pontoon

To the other side of the pier was the outer or eastern harbour, that I entered by mistake when I first arrived.
The outer or eastern harbour at low tide

Just leaving the inner or western harbour was a trip boat dressed up to look like a pirate ship. The trip was very short - they seemed to be back in less than half an hour - but I guess it was targeted at young children so suited a short attention span!
Pirate trip boat

At the end of the pier is the lighthouse, which now houses the Scarborough Yacht Club. They welcome visiting yachtsmen, but sadly weren't open on Thursday so I didn't get a chance to see inside and sample their hospitality.
Scarborough Lighthouse

Also at the end of the pier is a statue of an angel. Not as sizeable as Gateshead's Angel of the North, but impressive nonetheless.
Scarborough's angel

I walked back along the pier, and then along the front. Much of Scarborough town is higher up the hill, and clearly the Victorian's didn't like climbing. There's a tramway to help out!
Victorian tramway or inclined railway

I resisted the temptation and continued walking. The view over the beach is magnificent, and it's easy to see why Scarborough developed as a resort when the seaside became fashionable.
Scarborough beach, towards Filey Point and Flamborough Head

I walked up the path through the cliffside gardens and then backwards town. There's a glorious Victorian wrought iron pedestrian bridge from which I got a great view of the onshore approach to the town
Onshore approaches to Scarborough

I really enjoyed walking around Scarborough and would recommend a visit if you're passing by.
Comments
Vessel Name: Eowyn of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk1 1993
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Martin Crick
Eowyn of Hamble's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.