Adventures of Eowyn of Hamble

Log of Eowyn's sailing adventures. Plan for 2021 is sail around Great Britain, if COVID allows enough ports to open!

14 September 2021 | Hamble
12 September 2021 | Port Hamble
11 September 2021 | Beaulieu River
10 September 2021 | Portland
09 September 2021 | Dittisham
02 September 2021 | Plymouth
01 September 2021 | Fowey
31 August 2021 | Falmouth
30 August 2021 | Penzance
26 August 2021 | Padstow
25 August 2021 | Lundy (Jenny's Cove)
24 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Sandy Haven Bay)
23 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Dale)
22 August 2021 | Fishguard
21 August 2021 | Arklow
19 August 2021 | Greystones
18 August 2021 | Malahide and Dublin
15 August 2021 | Malahide Marina
15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
14 August 2021 | Ardglass

Into the Republic of Ireland

15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
Martin Crick | Calm and dreich; then NW 15kts and clearing
I set off from Ardglass in yet more very dreich weather - and very little wind. I got a couple of spells of about half an hour under sail, but mostly motored the whole way down the coast. A great shame, as the coast here is adorned with the Mourne Mountains and is an area of outstanding natural beauty, which I saw little of.

As I turned into the narrow entrance of Carlingford Lough the wind began to get up - on the nose of course - funnelled by the hills on either side no doubt.

At this point in the Irish Sea, there's little tide off shore - it's where the tide from the north and south meet - but there's a fierce tide into the lough. At the narrowest point I saw 4 kts, and there was a strong "bow" wave around the channel buoys. The channel is quite narrow for a long way in, and the lough is fairly shallow to either side.

Eventually I came to the marina. By now there was quite a strong wind blowing from the NW down the lough. The marina entrance is a narrow gap between the crude concrete caisons that form its breakwater: I would not want to have entered in any stronger wind than I had.

Mooring was tricky, and sadly no locals came to my aid. I gave up the first attempt, and had to go well past the visitor berths to get enough room to turn around and line up for a second attempt. Second time lucky! My bridle - a loop of rope which I throw to moor temporarily - caught the end of the pontoon rather than the cleat I was aiming at, but that served my purpose just as well. It's not a very comfortable berth - as the wind increases, there's a fair swell building in the lough and it comes straight through the entrance to the visitor berths immediately inside. But it's safe enough for one night.

Log of this passage
Comments
Vessel Name: Eowyn of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk1 1993
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Martin Crick
Eowyn of Hamble's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.