Adventures of Eowyn of Hamble

Log of Eowyn's sailing adventures. Plan for 2021 is sail around Great Britain, if COVID allows enough ports to open!

14 September 2021 | Hamble
12 September 2021 | Port Hamble
11 September 2021 | Beaulieu River
10 September 2021 | Portland
09 September 2021 | Dittisham
02 September 2021 | Plymouth
01 September 2021 | Fowey
31 August 2021 | Falmouth
30 August 2021 | Penzance
26 August 2021 | Padstow
25 August 2021 | Lundy (Jenny's Cove)
24 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Sandy Haven Bay)
23 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Dale)
22 August 2021 | Fishguard
21 August 2021 | Arklow
19 August 2021 | Greystones
18 August 2021 | Malahide and Dublin
15 August 2021 | Malahide Marina
15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
14 August 2021 | Ardglass

Round the Dodman

01 September 2021 | Fowey
Martin Crick | NE 15-25kts; overcast then clearing
Not such an early start, but once again out to tack against a north easterly - this time under fairly grey skies and in steep swell. We kept the reefs in from the day before, and were glad of them

There were several other yachts heading the same way, and it was interesting to match ourselves against them - I think we were in about the middle of the pack! There was also a very irritating fishing boat that always seemed to be in the way - we probably irritated him as much, or at least I hope so.

Every so often a particularly sharp wave would stop us almost completely, so we made a fair bit of leeway. Each time we tacked back towards the shore, it initially looked like we might clear Dodman Point, but it was actually only on the third tack that we actually did so. Then a long tack took us up to the entrance to Fowey. The wind eased by this time so we shook out the reefs - much easier than putting them in!

The Fowey visitors' buoys are much more accessible than those at Penzance. No pick up lines, but big loops on top that stand upright. Really easy to hook and pass a line through, so we were quickly all secure. Good thing too, as the harbour patrol were promptly alongside wanting mooring dues. A far cry from the honesty boxes of the West of Scotland!

We then took the harbour taxi ashore. The charming skipper - Jule - had only been doing the job for four months, but brought her craft alongside with great skill. I only hope she's as overjoyed with her job in the middle of winter storms...

We met up with Nick's friend Lucy: she was leading a walking tour of Fowey and we were pleased to tag along. Her enthusiasm and pride in her town were uplifting, and it was refreshing to find out a bit more about a port I visited than has been the norm. I particularly liked the story of a previous squire of the manor disputing with his brother the rector over whether the church or manor house tower was higher. The squire put the matter beyond doubt by building a higher tower on the manor house, complete with a miniature church inside and underneath it!

Lucy came out to Eowyn bringing with her a supper of local pasties - thank you Lucy! After a convivial evening, we summoned the taxi yet again to take Lucy ashore, and went below for an even more sheltered night - thank goodness!

Log of this passage
Comments
Vessel Name: Eowyn of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk1 1993
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Martin Crick
Eowyn of Hamble's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.