Adventures of Eowyn of Hamble

Log of Eowyn's sailing adventures. Plan for 2021 is sail around Great Britain, if COVID allows enough ports to open!

14 September 2021 | Hamble
12 September 2021 | Port Hamble
11 September 2021 | Beaulieu River
10 September 2021 | Portland
09 September 2021 | Dittisham
02 September 2021 | Plymouth
01 September 2021 | Fowey
31 August 2021 | Falmouth
30 August 2021 | Penzance
26 August 2021 | Padstow
25 August 2021 | Lundy (Jenny's Cove)
24 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Sandy Haven Bay)
23 August 2021 | Milford Haven (Dale)
22 August 2021 | Fishguard
21 August 2021 | Arklow
19 August 2021 | Greystones
18 August 2021 | Malahide and Dublin
15 August 2021 | Malahide Marina
15 August 2021 | Carlingford Marina
14 August 2021 | Ardglass

Round Start Point

09 September 2021 | Dittisham
Martin Crick | SE v SW 10 to 2 to 8kts; overcast clearing later; visibility poor becoming moderate
I spent a pleasant week in Plymouth, enjoying walking around the Barbican and the Hoe, eating out, using the laundry, and all the other comforts of a marina! Eventually, the wind showed signs of shifting to the west - but not for very long! So it was time to make the most of it.

I left Sutton Harbour at 06:20 - 20mins late! - and passed through the lock easily as it was on free flow (both gates open) for approx 3 hours either side of high water. Once out into Plymouth Sound, the wind was still at SE, not too strong, and visibility moderate to poor. I sailed south close hauled until the wind died away as it began to veer further south, and the visibility got worse as drizzle began. Inevitably, engine on. I motored around Start Point without seeing it, relying on the chart plotter, AIS and radar.

As I turned north towards Dartmouth, and passed the Skerries Bank, the sky cleared a bit and I got a few glimpses of the shore. Then there was enough wind behind me to sail the last hour or so under headsail only up into the beautiful River Dart. The picture above shows the view of Dartmouth as I approached.

I motored up the river through Dartmouth, past the marinas, up towards Dittisham. My memory of deserted river with isolated visitors' moorings is way out of date - the permanent moorings reach all the way up the river. But in Dittisham pool there were a few vacant mooring buoys. No pickup lines but nice big fixed loops on top, so I had an easy job to feed first a temporary line and later my bridle with chain in its middle through the buoy. I spent a peaceful afternoon relaxing in the sun.

Log of this passage (Sorry about missing first section - I forgot to turn on the logger!)
Comments
Vessel Name: Eowyn of Hamble
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy 36 Mk1 1993
Hailing Port: Hamble
Crew: Martin Crick
Eowyn of Hamble's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.