Endless summers in Greece

18 August 2013 | Vathi, Meganissi
18 August 2013 | Port Leone, Nisos Kalamos
18 August 2013 | Nisos Kalamos
17 August 2013 | Porto Kalamos
16 August 2013 | Cliff Bay Nisos Atako
16 August 2013 | Cliff Bay, Nisos Atako
16 August 2013 | Kioni, Ithaca
15 August 2013 | Kioni, Ithaca
14 August 2013 | Meganissi
13 August 2013 | Nidri, Lefkas
04 August 2013 | Lefkas - Manchester
03 August 2013 | Nidri
03 August 2013 | Nisos Atako
02 August 2013 | Nisos Atako
01 August 2013 | Fiskardo
31 July 2013 | Kioni, Ithaca
30 July 2013 | Kioni, Ithaca
29 July 2013 | Nidri, Lefkas
10 July 2013 | Wiltshire, UK

Ithaca calling

30 July 2013 | Kioni, Ithaca
Jasmine
Left Meganissi at 8:50, our destination Ithaca. In fact, our destination was Kioni on Ithaca. The sea was completely calm.

Around an hour and a half into our journey, we spotted Dolphins! They were about 400 meters away, so it was hard to get a clear view, but the arc as they leapt out of the water was unmissable.

The arrival into Kioni was eventful.
Firstly, It was my first attempt at lowering the anchor as we came into the key stern-to.
The anchor should have gone completely out. However the clutch caught it several times and the anchor did not dig in to the sea bed.
This meant Dad had to use the tender to take the anchor out. This is a tricky exercise as carrying 40meters of metal anchor chain in an inflatable tender and steering in a straight line is somewhat challenging. The result was a crossed anchor with the ‘sun odyssey 47’ on our port side.
The skipper, an Italian retiree, decided to help out. Firstly, he donned his snorkel and after several minutes of swimming around, he announced a cunning plan!
The strategy in question was to drop a rope and pull up one of the anchors.
Fast forward 45 minutes and you have one 65 year old gentleman fishing around with a rope and boat hook and my Dad overseeing from the tender above.
Finally the anchor was released, and rope and boat hook in tow, the sporty gent decided to clamber aboard the tender. Little did he know that whilst doing this his swimming trunks had decided to take a hike and as a ferry loaded with day-trippers arrived into Kioni our Italian friend clambered on to the tender exhibiting one peachy white butt!!

Kioni feels nice. There’s been a strong katabatic wind all afternoon, which is quite a relief from the extreme heat!
We ate out this afternoon and this evening.

Around 4pm we decided to go for a swim. The water was cool and refreshing and it was amazing to go swimming so close to the boats and hustle and bustle of the harbour.

Tonights meal, in the ‘three mills’ restaurant was the best so far.
I had Spaghetti in a tomato sauce, whilst Dad and Marty had Filo pastry stuffed with cheese and herbs and chicken souvlaki.

Next to the restaurant was a property crying out for some TLC. Some cash, some patience and a head for a project and this bit of Greek paradise could be yours.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ruby
Vessel Make/Model: Moody 28
Hailing Port: Nidri, Lefkas
Crew: Nigel, Marty, Mila-Rose, Jasmine
Ruby's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.