SAILAWAY

06 July 2021 | Marsden Marina
04 July 2021 | Te Arei
28 June 2021
03 June 2021
02 June 2021
25 May 2021 | Marsden
15 April 2021 | Marsden
12 March 2021 | Smokehouse Bay
24 February 2021
16 February 2021
14 February 2021
25 January 2021 | Marsden Point Refinery
23 January 2021 | Taemaru Bay
23 January 2021 | Cavalli Isles
20 January 2021 | Monganui
19 January 2021
05 January 2021 | Te Puna Inlet
04 January 2021 | Te Puna Inlet

Waitangi Day

06 February 2018 | Waitangi Day
Penny
Today we went to the Waitangi Treaty Ground to celebrate Waitangi Day. We decided to give the dawn raising of the flag a miss as it is over an hour drive from Marsden Cove Marina and thought that heavy traffic might make it even longer. As it turned out traffic was negligible until we reached Pahia. The grounds were closed to parking and no spaces in town but people had opened up their front gardens and were charging $10 so there were no problems finding a space for the car. Other houses had dug Hangi pits and were selling traditional food or cold drinks.
Waitangi Day is the national day of New Zealand, and commemorates the signing, on 6 February 1840, of the Treaty of Waitangi. Ceremonies take place all over New Zealand to commemorate the signing of the treaty, which is regarded as New Zealand's founding document. The day is a public holiday, was first celebrated in 1934 (although not a public holiday then). The Treaty of Waitangi was signed on 6 February 1840 on the grounds of James Busby's house--now known as Treaty House--at Waitangi. The treaty was signed by representatives acting on behalf of the British Government and, initially, more than 40 Māori chiefs. It guaranteed British sovereignty over the islands of New Zealand, which was officially proclaimed on 21 May 1840.
We arrived just in time to watch the ceremony of launching the Waka (war canoes). The Ngatokimatawhaorua, one of the world's largest Māori ceremonial waka (war canoe), sits on the grounds at Waitangi. The 70-year-old waka was refurbished and relaunched for the 170th celebrations in 2010. Each February, Ngatokimatawhaorua must be prepared for its Waitangi Day outing prior to the big event. Made from massive trunks of New Zealand's giant kauri trees, the gigantic waka - which weighs an incredible six tonne when dry - must first be moved by human force across the Treaty grounds and down to the sea. It is then moored in the water for up to two days allowing the wood to swell and become airtight, doubling the weight. I'm not too sure how effective the process is, may be airtight but from the frantic activity of the boys who were bailing it is not watertight! (see photos). It carries 80 paddlers and 55 passengers.
Māori cultural performances, speeches from Māori and Pakeha (European) dignitaries are found at various locations over the Treaty grounds. There are pleasant walks all around but the Museum and Treaty House were closed for the Day. There were also numerous stalls selling food (including melon and pineapple hollowed out and filled with chopped fruit and ice cream), jewellery, T shirts and traditional crafts. The naval 21 gun salute was a bit of a let down, you could hardly hear it and there was only a tiny puff of smoke.
We had a great day and we were lucky with the weather (I was glad I had taken my ancient Cuba Sun Hat),I would like to have spent more time looking at the jewellery and crafts but Chris does not like ferreting around stalls and by the time we walked through the area they were packing up although we did manage to get a melon with ice cream.
You can join in the fun at home as there are Waitangi Day celebrations around the world, in London there is a Waitangi Day Ball, cultural entertainment, a church service and a pub crawl using the London Underground Circle Line which takes place on closest Saturday to 6th February.

.


Comments
Vessel Name: Esprit de la mer
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau
Hailing Port: Milford Haven
Crew: Chris and Penny Bates
About:
Chris Bates is a Haverfordwest GP retiring at the end of March after 28 years at Winch Lane Surgery. Penny is a nurse in outpatients at Withybush Hospital and retires at the end of June. [...]
Extra:
Capt pictured here with his pet seagull says 'Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans: it is lovely to be silly at the right moment' and thinks it is far more important to find him a name so we are running a competition to find him a name and guess the miles he will have sailed by [...]
Social:
Esprit de la mer's Photos - La Gomera (Main)
1 Photo | 17 Sub-Albums
Created 2 August 2014
1 Photo | 62 Sub-Albums
Created 18 March 2014
126 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 August 2013
17 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
1 Photo | 20 Sub-Albums
Created 22 June 2011
Summer in Canaries 2010
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 April 2011
Six months in Brasil
1 Photo | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 December 2010
Cabo Verde
20 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 31 October 2010