SAILAWAY

06 July 2021 | Marsden Marina
04 July 2021 | Te Arei
28 June 2021
03 June 2021
02 June 2021
25 May 2021 | Marsden
15 April 2021 | Marsden
12 March 2021 | Smokehouse Bay
24 February 2021
16 February 2021
14 February 2021
25 January 2021 | Marsden Point Refinery
23 January 2021 | Taemaru Bay
23 January 2021 | Cavalli Isles
20 January 2021 | Monganui
19 January 2021
05 January 2021 | Te Puna Inlet
04 January 2021 | Te Puna Inlet

Day trip to Omaha

06 September 2020 | Pakiri Beach
Chris Bates | Dry Cloudy
We needed a change of scenery so decided on a day trip to Omaha to look at the anchorages along the coast. Straight down the N1 and a left turn at Wellsford. We discovered that there was a road to Mangawhai Heads between Wellsford and Leigh which was not marked on our map but meant we could return avoiding most of the N1. At Pakiri we made a slight diversion to the beach, it was on a gravel road but the car is quite accustomed to them now. It was worth the detour a beautiful beach and huge expanse of sand. We passed a lovely post box that I would have loved for my collection, it was shaped like a dog kennel with a huge dog sprawled on top. Unfortunately there was a car on our tail and nowhere to stop, so no photo. Next stop Goat Island, it is a Marine Reserve and has a research station run by Auckland Uni. It was closed to visitors and do not know if that was due to Covid (Auckland still on Level 2.5) or because it was Sunday. There are a variety of interesting fish which you are supposed to be able to see from the rocky platforms along the beach, but sea surface was rather disturbed so would not have been able to take photos even if I had seen any. There is usually a glass bottom boat there for trips but it was not running and I thought it far too cold for snorkelling. I walked up towards Cape Rodney, there were some nice views but I had not brought my walking poles and I needed them as a spare leg and brake as it was quite steep and the gravel was rather slippery, I turned back and slipped a few times but managed to stay on my feet by grabbing a tree or throwing myself at the fence. Leigh was mainly a fishing community, I had expected a quaint village so was rather disappointed but this was well and truly made up for by Leigh Harbour, it was very pretty and rather like a Cornish Creek. Chris spoke to one of the fishermen who said the holding was good and it was well protected in all but a south easterly. Behind the harbour were some lovely lilies, I was tempted to pick some but it would have entailed wading through some foul smelling mud and I don't think Chris would have let me back in the car. From Leigh we went to Omaha, a huge windy housing estate that did not appear to offer any facilities (shops, doctors or schools). The beach was vast and rather exposed, it looked as if it would have been shallow for a long way out. Not really a good anchorage for a keel boat, so not added to our list of places to visit by boat.
It had been a long drive so we set off for Marsden returning via Matakana Valley and Mangawhai Heads.
Chris was very tired, had a cup of tea and has gone to bed without eating.
Comments
Vessel Name: Esprit de la mer
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau
Hailing Port: Milford Haven
Crew: Chris and Penny Bates
About:
Chris Bates is a Haverfordwest GP retiring at the end of March after 28 years at Winch Lane Surgery. Penny is a nurse in outpatients at Withybush Hospital and retires at the end of June. [...]
Extra:
Capt pictured here with his pet seagull says 'Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans: it is lovely to be silly at the right moment' and thinks it is far more important to find him a name so we are running a competition to find him a name and guess the miles he will have sailed by [...]
Social:
Esprit de la mer's Photos - La Gomera (Main)
1 Photo | 17 Sub-Albums
Created 2 August 2014
1 Photo | 62 Sub-Albums
Created 18 March 2014
126 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 August 2013
17 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
1 Photo | 20 Sub-Albums
Created 22 June 2011
Summer in Canaries 2010
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 24 April 2011
Six months in Brasil
1 Photo | 22 Sub-Albums
Created 12 December 2010
Cabo Verde
20 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 31 October 2010