S/Y Espumeru

11 March 2011 | Gold coast, QLD, Australia
06 March 2011 | Gold Coast, Queensland
14 December 2010 | Coral sea and the north
08 October 2010 | Raiatea, French Polynesia
08 September 2010 | Tahiti
31 August 2010 | Tahiti
28 August 2010 | Fatu Hiva
22 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
19 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
15 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
13 August 2010 | The Pacific ocean
06 August 2010
06 August 2010
02 August 2010
30 July 2010 | Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Galapagos
07 July 2010 | Ecuador, north coast, Sua
22 June 2010 | Panama City, Panama

South Pacific Crossing, day 8

10 August 2010
MF
One week on the ocean is now behind us, as is one third of our passage. The winds have picked up a bit the last days 13-18kts and we have managed to increased our daily mileage somewhat.
This is though definately a slower passage than the Atlantic crossing, the wind angle has not been very favourable for us and the waves have been slowing us down as they are hitting us from the side. It has been pleasant enough though until now and yesterday we for the first time flew our small spinnaker during the day.

We have also caught our first two fish, a small Albacore and a Skipjack tuna, today we are having fresh fish on the menu. We had something larger on our lines as well but they unfortunately managed to escape.

We have made an important discovery, when you flush the toilet the water actually runs anti-clockwise here in the Southern hemisphere.

Last night we had an invasion of fly fish, I think they had made a joint decision to commit mass suicide on our trampoline, several Kg´s were on it this morning. One also managed to hit me on the head while I was steering during the night. The problem with the fly fishes is that they are extremely slimy and stinky and they leave stains and scales everywhere, this morning we had a whole lot of cleaning to do to get the smell away (this includes my hair and our pillow cases).

At the moment we are flying our big white Spinnaker and having a smooth ride, the winds have quitened down but we are still averaging six kts, so not too bad. For the night we will again change to the genoa and a reefed main, as we have had the last nights, there have been some squalls during the nights so better be safe than sorry.

Otherwise we have entertained ourselves with baking and had some lovely cookies, cake and fruit crumble with custard. We are going to have to run of those kilos when we reach land.

That´s all for now, new update in some days!!!

MF
Comments
Vessel Name: Espumeru
Vessel Make/Model: North Wind 40 Catamaran
Crew: Niklas
About: Max 5 years (powerboat experience since 7 months old) Knows now how to start and turn off engines lower fenders etc... Felix 3 years (copying his brother in everything...) Mira born by the sea but no sailing experience!?! Niklas lots of experience with different boats power and sailing.
Extra: None of the crew has ever sailed a catamaran!!!! Are we mad???

Who: Niklas