The Voyage of S/V Estelle

Cruising the British Columbia Coast

27 September 2020
26 September 2020
26 September 2020 | The Broughtons
26 September 2020 | Vancouver Rowing Club
07 February 2020
03 February 2020 | Northern Georgia Strait
30 September 2018 | Vancouver Rowing Club
10 September 2018 | The Laughing Oyster, Okeover Landing
08 September 2018 | Von Donop Inlet, Desolation Sound
08 September 2018 | Port McNeill, BC
08 September 2018 | Port McNeill, BC
16 August 2018
16 August 2018 | Turnbull Cove, BC
15 August 2018 | Pierre's Echo Bay Resort
15 August 2018 | Kwatsi Bay Marina, The Broughtons
15 August 2018 | Potts Lagoon, West Cracroft Island, BC
05 August 2018 | Kwatsi Bay
01 August 2018 | Big Bay
01 August 2018 | Von Donop Inlet
27 July 2018 | Lancelot Inlet, Desolation Sound Marine Park

And on north

07 April 2007 | Spanish Wells, Bahamas
Jim Lea
Some time ago I wrote about Bahamas weather, and noted that it seemed easier to predict than ours at home. Forecasts out as far as five days held true! Well, forget I ever said that. On Thursday, we woke up in Governor's Harbour to listen, as usual, to Chris Parker's weather forecast, and heard him tell us, and everyone listening, that there had been a major change in the forecast overnight. Since leaving Long Island, we had been running up the western coast of, first, Cat Island, then Eleuthera, a total distance of about 120 miles. With the normal winds from the eastern direction, running up the western shore means that you are running up the protected lee side of the island, giving pleasant sailing in most wind conditions. But the converse it true too! There is only one harbour that offers any protection from western winds, Rock Sound, in southern Eleuthera. So when Chris told us that the wind was going to swing to the west and blow, we knew it was time to make a run for it! So we left Governor's Harbour at 7:30 am on Thursday and headed up to Royal Island, about 60 miles away. And the wind did clock into the west, coming up about mid-morning to about 15-18 knots, so we actually had a nice sail up. But , and there's always a "but", at the top of Eleuthera, to get to Royal Island, you have to pass through a particularly tricky cut called simply, "Current Cut". Looking at the tide tables, which are only a guess for anywhere but Nassau, we thought we could time our arrival for just about slack high water. We missed it by an hour or so, and were whisked through going 4 knots through the water, but propelled up to 9 knots by a 5 knot ebbing current. But there was only one tricky section that we managed without incident. From there it was a nice sail across the last 9 miles to Royal Island. Royal Island has a very well protected anchorage where we dropped anchor in mid-afternoon. We were disappointed to have to leave Governor's Harbour and Eleuthera so quickly, as there were other areas we were hoping to see. But we did have a nice walk ashore the evening before we left. As we travel north, we can see a distinct trend in the economy. Each community is increasingly better off than the its southerly neighbor. And Governor's Harbour was no exception. Coupled with that, the bougainvillia shrubs are all in full bloom, and are everywhere draping their bright colours over walls and onto the streets and walks. And the nicer homes, all gaily painted just add to the beauty of the place. Royal Island is different. In the Bahamas, it is quite common to see either an old abandoned estate or development, or a new one under construction, but Royal Island has both. The crumbling ruins of what must have been a very beautiful summer estate when it was built in the 1930's stands next to the huge clearing where a new resort and marina is under construction. The island is only about 3 miles long and 1/2 mile wide, but has a perfectly formed harbour in the center with a small opening for boats to get in to. So by the time we return, I expect that we will be faced with not the remote quiet anchorage we had this year, but a bust resort that may or may not tolerate cruisers. But that's progress, I guess... Near Royal Island are two major (by Bahamain standards) communities, Spanish Wells and Harbour Island. Spanish Wells is only 5 miles from Royal Island, and Harbour Island is just 10 miles further on. Because we wanted to see both, and are looking at a weather window to cross to the Abacos on Monday, we ran down to Spanish Wells yesterday (Good Friday). It is a small and busy harbour with a large fishing fleet, and no room to anchor, so we rented a mooring for two nights. We left Royal Island in early afternoon, after the squalls and rain passed through, and motored the short distance down. Picking up our mooring, we then headed ashore and walked around the Island. There are a few things that strike you immediately on going ashore. Once again we have seen an increase in the standard of living, but this time it is a quantum leap! Spanish Wells fishing fleet consists of million dollar ships that supply the Red Lobster chain with its Caribbean lobster. And the fishermen have homes to match their boats. It is a very nice, but an unusual town. Last year someone opened a liquor store, but a bylaw shut it down. No liquor is sold on the island. Today we were walking down the road past the store, and saw the door ajar, so went in. "Hello!" we called... no answer. We repeated it a few times as we walked through the store, checking out the cold beer inventory, and all the details. No one appeared. We called a few more times, but after 10 minutes, no one showed up, so we left. I shut the door behind us. Today (Saturday) we caught the high speed ferry over to Harbour Island. Harbour Island is just the opposite to Spanish Wells. Very touristy, and very upper end. Mega yachts and fancy resorts, intermingled with some very nice summer homes, both old and new. Fun for a day, but that's it. Check it out on the internet (it may be under Dunsmore Town). Try Pink Sands Hotel. We didn't take our boat over because the route is referred to as "The Devil's Backbone" and with good reason. We were on a high speed catamaran ferry, and watching it weave between the reefs which constitute the backbone was impressive. At times we were less than 100' off the shore, running at 25 knots in a full sized ferry. Most cruisers who do go take on a pilot. But we chose to just do a day trip. It was great fun, but I think we did it right, as we were ready to leave just as the ferry was ready to go. This town, Spanish Wells, is a working town, and we actually enjoy it more than the very touristy Harbour Island. Tomorrow we will go back up to Royal Island and plan to cross to the Abacos, the most northerly group of Bahamas islands, on Wednesday. We plan to spend only a few days there waiting for a weather window to head back to the US, probably arriving at Port Canaveral, Fla. Its about 140 miles, or a long overnighter.
Comments
Vessel Name: Estelle
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1
Hailing Port: Charlottetown, PEI
Crew: Jeannie & Jim Lea
About: Flag Counter
Extra: After cruising the east coast of North America for 10 years, from Nova Scotia to Panama, it's time for a change. Estelle will be cruising the coast of British Columbia and Alaska beginning in 2017.
Estelle's Photos - The Voyage of S/V Estelle (Main)
Cruise to Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, British Columbia
81 Photos
Created 26 September 2020
From Pender Harbour to Sidney, July 20-26
18 Photos
Created 4 February 2020
33 Photos
Created 2 February 2020
14 Photos
Created 5 August 2018
5 Photos
Created 1 August 2018
62 Photos
Created 10 July 2018
28 Photos
Created 19 November 2017
Our cruise of the Gulf Islands and San Juan Islands in May & June, 2017
84 Photos
Created 21 July 2017
Our first BC cruise, from Pender Harbour to Strait Marine in Steveston BC
26 Photos
Created 27 April 2017
Estelle's arrival in Vancouver
8 Photos
Created 31 October 2016
63 Photos
Created 28 July 2016
Our first year cruising... Exumas, Bahamas.
11 Photos
Created 28 July 2015
69 Photos
Created 24 July 2015
17 Photos
Created 31 May 2015
8 Photos
Created 12 April 2015
25 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
3 Photos
Created 30 November 2014
20 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
13 Photos
Created 13 November 2014
20 Photos
Created 9 November 2014
Pics of our trip from Mount Desert Islans to the Saint John River in July 2014.
64 Photos
Created 14 August 2014
15 Photos
Created 9 May 2014
60 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
18 Photos
Created 3 April 2013
50 Photos
Created 14 January 2013
104 Photos
Created 12 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 1 December 2012
23 Photos
Created 10 November 2012
19 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
14 Photos
Created 13 March 2012
47 Photos
Created 6 March 2012
59 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
70 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
107 Photos
Created 21 January 2012
Nov/Dec 2011
48 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
San Blas Islands
4 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
58 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
23 Photos
Created 29 October 2011
22 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
49 Photos
Created 10 May 2011
52 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 18 March 2011
Feb, 2011
67 Photos
Created 11 February 2011
33 Photos
Created 7 February 2011
34 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
33 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
62 Photos
Created 17 November 2010
39 Photos
Created 15 November 2010
41 Photos
Created 31 October 2010
25 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
15 Photos
Created 3 October 2010
13 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
14 Photos
Created 1 October 2010
Some photos at John Williams Boatyard as we prepare for departure.
7 Photos
Created 14 September 2010
Our trip to various BC ski resorts Jan-Feb 2010
69 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
August/Sept in Maine
58 Photos
Created 29 August 2009
Our trip from Norfolk Va to Mount Desert Island, June 20th to July 7th, 2009. Gerard Watts aboard as crew!
89 Photos
Created 8 July 2009
11 Photos
Created 26 April 2009
65 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 22 March 2009
65 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 February 2009
43 Photos
Created 29 January 2009
42 Photos
Created 29 January 2009
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2008
27 Photos
Created 22 December 2008
Our trip from Maine to Miami
108 Photos
Created 19 December 2008
Pics from Jan to June 2008, Bahamas to Maine
50 Photos
Created 18 June 2008
Trip south from Maine to Bahamas, Sept-Dec 2007
42 Photos
Created 26 December 2007
14 Photos
Created 25 December 2007
4 Photos
Created 21 August 2007
These are pictures of The Hermitage on Cat Island, Bahamas. It was built single-handedly by Faather Jerome who was sent out by the Church of England to rebuild churches destroyed in the hurricanes in the early 20th century. He then converted to catholicism and built a number of Roman Catholic churches until he sought and received permission to build this hermitage where he spent the remainder of his life.
10 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 June 2007
1 Photo
Created 24 June 2007
21 Photos
Created 23 June 2007
3 Photos
Created 12 June 2007
These pictures were taken while on Long Island, Bahamas, in February, 2007
6 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
This album contains some photos of our time in the Jumentos Islands, in the Bahamas
11 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
19 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
13 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 March 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
5 Photos
Created 11 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 11 March 2007