Evening Breeze in Paradise

The adventures of the Evening Breeze, a 1996 Catalina 28 and Capt. Warren Renninger as they wander around the Gulf Coast

02 May 2021 | Home Again
02 May 2021 | Charlotte Harbor, Useppa Island
30 April 2021 | Smokehouse Bay, Marco Island
30 April 2021 | Little Shark River
28 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Key West
27 April 2021 | Key West
23 April 2021 | Key West Bight Marina
22 April 2021 | Key West
20 April 2021 | Saddlebunch Harbor
19 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
18 April 2021 | Little Shark River
18 April 2021 | Pavillion Key
15 April 2021 | Naples City Mooring Field
14 April 2021 | Cayo Costa
27 March 2021 | Punta Gorda

West End and Upper Abacos

05 May 2010 | Great Guana Cay
Warren
TGIF in the Bahamas. We left Jeff & Diedra in Black Sound and headed around the Whale Passage to get to the lower Abacos. It was dead calm in the morning and here was a man in his 60's rowing his dinghy and towing a 24 ft old wooden sailboat. He said he'd take a tow to save his energy for later. We towed him 6 miles until there was a little wind and cast him off at his request. The Whale Passage goes out in the Atlantic and can be rough but today it was flat--yeah! We then motored to Spoil Cay and shell hunted which was a flop. We anchored in Fisher's Bay off Great Guana Cay for the night.

Thursday we up anchored in White Sound, Green Turtle Cay and anchored off New Plymouth. What a cute little town. It dates back to 1783 when the loyalists from the revolution founded it. Many of the houses date back to the early 1800s. We ran into Jeff and Diedra, whom I had met in Ft Lauderdale. They have a 1975 Catalina 30 and are spending a year on it. They are in their late 20's so it is a real adventure for them. They had found the Leeward Yacht Club which has real good rates. so we docked next to them, swam in the pool, did laundry, charged batteries, and got water. All for less than $40.

Wednesday the 5th we motored past Nunjack, Crab, and a few minor keys to get to Green Turtle Cay. Anchored off the Bluff House Resort and are using their WiFi. We will stay here tonight and go to New Plymouth on the other end of the island tomorrow to look around and shop.

Tuesday the 4th finds us motoring to Nunjack, about 24 miles, another uninhabited island that I remember for the beautiful beach. Arriving at Nunjack we found a few houses built or under construction but still a beautiful location. We dinghied around to the ocean side and walked the white sand beach for an hour. No shells or other treasures. Got back to the dinghy to find the anchor had pulled and the dinghy in the surf full of water and sand. So a half-hour drill to get every thing off and out of the dinghy. To get the sand out, we deflated it, took the bottom boards out, and then rolled it over in the water to rinse it out. Put it back together and putted back "home."

Monday we dinghied in to Foxtown to mail Mother Day cards. A town of multicolored little houses with two gas stations, a grocery, clinic, post office and two bars. The post office was a ΒΌ mile walk so we got to be the only light folks in town. Very friendly folks who looked at us like "why are they here?" Left and motor-sailed 7 miles to Allens-Pensacola an uninhabited barrier island. Allens is best known for the "sign tree(s)" where people hang a sign with their name or their boats name on driftwood or other scraps. We hung a Serenity sign right below Puff's sign from 2007. That evening we had guests on the dinghy as two gulls came abeggin'.

Sunday May 2nd was a moving on day. We moved from Great Sale Cay and off to the east to Carters Cay. With the continuing strong SE winds, it was a rough ride but we got there and found the charted depth information was correct. In the channel to the only protected anchorage, we turned around when the depth got down to 5 feet. With the wind from behind and an outgoing tide, I didn't dare touch bottom for fear of not being able to back off before we got turned by the wind and tide. I had hoped to dinghy in to the island but there was no semi-calm water to anchor in so we moved on. We motored to anchor off Foxtown on Little Abaco Island. Not much of a town but we will stop in tomorrow before we depart.

May 1st found us moving out at 8:30 bound for Great Sale Cay. The wind was too close to the course to sail without tacking. In deference to Karen, we motor sailed to the Cay. In the 1950's it had a missile tracking station on it for the multitude of launches out of Cape Canaveral. Today it is a deserted island with miles of limestone coastline and some nice beaches. We arrived at 1:30 and after lunch went hunting for a nice beach. This side of the island doesn't have any and the other side was too far for the dinghy considering the wind. We did find some treasures. I worked on a leaky fuel bleed valve and manufactured a replacement gasket. We'll see if that worked. Also tightened the propeller shaft log to which was throwing water when under power. Now to see if I have to readjust it after it runs a while.
April 30th: Got moving at Old Bahama Bay Resort and Warren did laundry and cleaned the exterior of the boat. Karen cleaned the interior and remade clean bedding. So domestic we are on the water. The after the $180 bill for docking one night, we left for Mangrove Cay (pronounced "key") which is 22 miles from West End. After motoring through a shallow channel (Indian Rock) we hoisted sail and sailed all the way to Mangrove Cay. The wind was strong, 15 knots and we were healed over at 20 degrees most of the day. Needless to say Karen was happy when we anchored and were upright. She is being quite a sport about this boating "stuff".

April 30th: Got moving at Old Bahama Bay Resort and Warren did laundry and cleaned the exterior of the boat. Karen cleaned the interior and remade clean bedding. So domestic we are on the water. The after the $180 bill for docking one night, we left for Mangrove Cay (pronounced "key") which is 22 miles from West End. After motoring through a shallow channel (Indian Rock) we hoisted sail and sailed all the way to Mangrove Cay. The wind was strong, 15 knots and we were healed over at 20 degrees most of the day. Needless to say Karen was happy when we anchored and were upright. She is being quite a sport about this boating "stuff".


Comments
Vessel Name: Evening Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1996 Catalina 28 MK II
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, Florida
Crew: Warren & Karen Renninger
About: Warren - 26 years Air Force, 13 insurance, 11 West Marine Karen - 30 years Mary Kay, artist, quilter
Extra:
Boating since 1956 with small outboard boats until1994 when switched to sailing. First a 22 foot swing-keel Paceship with an outboard. Then a 1980 Hunter 27 I took to the Keys and Abacos, Bahamas. Next a 1986 Catalina 30 I sailed the Keys, Abacos, and to New Orleans. Then a trawler, a Mainship [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/EveningBreeze
Evening Breeze's Photos - Puff in Paradise (Main)
4 Photos
Created 2 May 2021
4 Photos
Created 2 May 2021
10 Photos
Created 30 April 2021
7 Photos
Created 30 April 2021
6 Photos
Created 27 April 2021
5 Photos
Created 23 April 2021
7 Photos
Created 19 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 18 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 18 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 15 April 2021
Leaving home and motor sailing/motoring to Cayo Costa
3 Photos
Created 14 April 2021
A visual review of cruising additions to the stock Catalina 28
9 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
10 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Or how we took our Mainship 30 to Key West.
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 4 June 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
Great Guana and south
42 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
The crossing and start of the Bahama adventure
37 Photos
Created 6 May 2014
Miami and Ft Lauderdale
18 Photos
Created 2 May 2014
Heading up the Keys to Miami
9 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Photos of the Keys
15 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
The trip down the southwest coast to the kKeys
15 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
19 Photos
Created 29 May 2011
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2011
11 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
33 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 May 2011
19 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 21 April 2011
15 Photos
Created 15 April 2011
51 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
9 Photos
Created 20 May 2010
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 May 2010
13 Photos
Created 13 May 2010
16 Photos
Created 8 May 2010
29 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
14 Photos
Created 22 April 2010
20 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
8 Photos
Created 14 April 2010
12 Photos
Created 8 April 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 April 2010
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2010
Purchasing a new boat and getting it ready for cruising.
8 Photos
Created 25 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 21 May 2007
17 Photos
Created 20 May 2007
No Photos
Created 20 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
Our current location should be on the first photo. The rest should give an idea of how we got here.
11 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
Really hated to leave the beautiful blue waters and wonderful islands.
12 Photos
Created 2 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 26 April 2007
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2007
23 Photos
Created 17 April 2007
12 Photos
Created 14 April 2007
13 Photos
Created 14 April 2007
9 Photos
Created 2 April 2007
Key Largo to Miami via the Intercoastal Waterway
26 Photos
Created 24 March 2007
". . . We were sailing against the wind"
24 Photos
Created 14 March 2007
13 Photos
Created 1 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 16 February 2007
Preparations complete, weather improves, departure 2/8/07
3 Photos
Created 7 February 2007
An adventure dedicated to those who no longer have the option of taking a trip in a small boat or are now looking down at this sailor from above. Please guide me safely and join me when you can.