Evening Breeze in Paradise

The adventures of the Evening Breeze, a 1996 Catalina 28 and Capt. Warren Renninger as they wander around the Gulf Coast

02 May 2021 | Home Again
02 May 2021 | Charlotte Harbor, Useppa Island
30 April 2021 | Smokehouse Bay, Marco Island
30 April 2021 | Little Shark River
28 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
27 April 2021 | Key West
27 April 2021 | Key West
23 April 2021 | Key West Bight Marina
22 April 2021 | Key West
20 April 2021 | Saddlebunch Harbor
19 April 2021 | Boot Key Harbor, Marathon
18 April 2021 | Little Shark River
18 April 2021 | Pavillion Key
15 April 2021 | Naples City Mooring Field
14 April 2021 | Cayo Costa
27 March 2021 | Punta Gorda

Key West to Key Largo

14 March 2007 | Key Largo
NE and Windy
March 1st we spent trying to get a new battery from West Marine but it did not come in as ordered. The manager was helpful and arranged for me to pick it up in Marathon on my way up the Keys. Fun wandering around Key West and shopping with Karen.

March 2nd we sailed to Key West so Karen could see it from the boaters view. Then we kicked back at the beach at Boca Chica. The 3rd we tried to figure out what to do about communications in the Bahamas. Our Sprint phones don't work outside the US and its possessions. I think we decided to wait until I get there to work on it with Batelco, the Bahamas Telephone Company.

The 4th was parting day again. It was great having Karen aboard. Crowded, hot, but wonderful. I have the easy part when leaving, I have a boat to run but poor Karen gets to wave and wonder what her crazy husband will be doing next. Motored into the wind back up the Keys until a cold front passed about noon so I could sail for a few hours until I reached Big Pine Channel again. I'll hold up here for a day or two while the winds pass and the battery gets to Marathon.

Stayed at Big Pine for 2 days waiting for the North winds to die down. Got to study up on Navigation in preparation for the crossing to the Bahamas. However the winds blowing reminds me of how rough it may get crossing. Hopefully things calm down before I get up to the jump off point.

The 7th I sailed off into the winds going to Marathon. The seas were rough and the winds strong. Puff pounded along fine trying her best but she really isn't meant for big waves or winds from the bow. At times we were only doing 1.5 knots. Had to tack out to the reef where it was rougher just to make headway against the winds. The last part I thought something was wrong with the engine since it was so slow. Just the winds, waves and tides all against us. Got a mooring at the City Marina and did laundry.

The 8th was getting up early to go to Publix for food and to find propane. Then to West Marine only to find that the battery delivery was to be the sometime that day and nothing much had been set up. At 4:30 the manager said to come over and pickup the battery. I sailed to a close by dock and he helped remove the old and install the new battery. It should have been a pro-rata replacement since it was past the full replacement warranty; but, considering the problems, the manager just swapped it out. Because of that, I bought a new handheld GPS from West Marine to replace the one that died the first week.

Winds were still high from the NE when I left Marathon on the 9th. I took some photos of the city marina there so folks can see how to help cruising boats. Out to the Gulf and the winds right on the nose again. Tacking 36 miles to make 21 miles headway. Seas were high too and poor Puff leaks. Ended up with water in the bunk and the whole port side had water from the leak in the anchor locker area.

I was happy to get anchored at Long Key next to the Channel 5 Bridge. So happy that I decided to stay the 10th drying things out and trying to fix the leaks. Of course won't know for sure until I get to rough water again. Winds are forecast to stay high from the NE for the next week so I ducked under the Channel 5 Bridge and decided to go up Florida Bay where there is some protection from the waves.

On the 11th went from Long Key about 20 miles to Tavernier Community Harbor. When I got to the harbor it was so shallow that I was leaving a sand wake in the water and this was at a moderate tide. So I left there and anchored off nearby Hammer Point. Poor little diesel got a workout since the whole trip was into the wind. We averaged about 3.3 knots due to the wind. The only good thing is that we only used 2 gallons of diesel doing it. That night I saw the strangest phenomenon. It looked like pearl necklaces suddenly tossed on the water. A glowing circle that grew and almost formed a ball and then faded out. The closest was a few feet from Puff and it looked like a fish or jellyfish spouting out eggs or being fertilized. So pretty and short lived that if I hadn't gone topside to look around then, I would have missed it.

The 12th was only a 10-mile motor to Sunset Cove at Key Largo. The Upper Keys Sailing Club was supposed to be active and friendly but nobody was home. On the 13th I went another 5 miles along Key Largo to anchor off the Caribbean Club. That is where the bar scenes for the Humphrey Bogart movie "Key Largo" was filmed. Now it is a locals and biker bar.

The weather is just not cooperating. After almost two weeks of winds from the North and then East at 15 -20 knots, it looks like we are going to have front come through in over the weekend that with change things for one day and then set it back to North winds again at 15-20. That won't give me time to get to the Bahamas before it gets bad again. Karen had a good idea. Say the heck with the Bahamas for now and keep going north on the East Coast until the weather gets better. Wish she were with me! Good idea. I'll stay here another day or two and then go to a marina where I can clean the boat, the laundry, and me.

Taking showers in 15-20 knot winds from a solar shower bag isn't the same as standing in an indoor shower. Next stop Biscayne Bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Evening Breeze
Vessel Make/Model: 1996 Catalina 28 MK II
Hailing Port: Punta Gorda, Florida
Crew: Warren & Karen Renninger
About: Warren - 26 years Air Force, 13 insurance, 11 West Marine Karen - 30 years Mary Kay, artist, quilter
Extra:
Boating since 1956 with small outboard boats until1994 when switched to sailing. First a 22 foot swing-keel Paceship with an outboard. Then a 1980 Hunter 27 I took to the Keys and Abacos, Bahamas. Next a 1986 Catalina 30 I sailed the Keys, Abacos, and to New Orleans. Then a trawler, a Mainship [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/EveningBreeze
Evening Breeze's Photos - Puff in Paradise (Main)
4 Photos
Created 2 May 2021
4 Photos
Created 2 May 2021
10 Photos
Created 30 April 2021
7 Photos
Created 30 April 2021
6 Photos
Created 27 April 2021
5 Photos
Created 23 April 2021
7 Photos
Created 19 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 18 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 18 April 2021
4 Photos
Created 15 April 2021
Leaving home and motor sailing/motoring to Cayo Costa
3 Photos
Created 14 April 2021
A visual review of cruising additions to the stock Catalina 28
9 Photos
Created 2 April 2021
10 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Or how we took our Mainship 30 to Key West.
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2015
22 Photos
Created 4 June 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 May 2014
Great Guana and south
42 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
The crossing and start of the Bahama adventure
37 Photos
Created 6 May 2014
Miami and Ft Lauderdale
18 Photos
Created 2 May 2014
Heading up the Keys to Miami
9 Photos
Created 28 April 2014
Photos of the Keys
15 Photos
Created 24 April 2014
The trip down the southwest coast to the kKeys
15 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
19 Photos
Created 29 May 2011
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2011
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2011
11 Photos
Created 19 May 2011
33 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 May 2011
19 Photos
Created 11 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
8 Photos
Created 8 May 2011
26 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 21 April 2011
15 Photos
Created 15 April 2011
51 Photos
Created 22 May 2010
9 Photos
Created 20 May 2010
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 May 2010
13 Photos
Created 13 May 2010
16 Photos
Created 8 May 2010
29 Photos
Created 5 May 2010
4 Photos
Created 30 April 2010
14 Photos
Created 22 April 2010
20 Photos
Created 15 April 2010
8 Photos
Created 14 April 2010
12 Photos
Created 8 April 2010
8 Photos
Created 1 April 2010
6 Photos
Created 28 March 2010
Purchasing a new boat and getting it ready for cruising.
8 Photos
Created 25 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 21 May 2007
17 Photos
Created 20 May 2007
No Photos
Created 20 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
15 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
Our current location should be on the first photo. The rest should give an idea of how we got here.
11 Photos
Created 15 May 2007
Really hated to leave the beautiful blue waters and wonderful islands.
12 Photos
Created 2 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 26 April 2007
20 Photos
Created 26 April 2007
23 Photos
Created 17 April 2007
12 Photos
Created 14 April 2007
13 Photos
Created 14 April 2007
9 Photos
Created 2 April 2007
Key Largo to Miami via the Intercoastal Waterway
26 Photos
Created 24 March 2007
". . . We were sailing against the wind"
24 Photos
Created 14 March 2007
13 Photos
Created 1 March 2007
18 Photos
Created 16 February 2007
Preparations complete, weather improves, departure 2/8/07
3 Photos
Created 7 February 2007
An adventure dedicated to those who no longer have the option of taking a trip in a small boat or are now looking down at this sailor from above. Please guide me safely and join me when you can.