Evening Ebb

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC
23 May 2023
14 May 2023
03 May 2023 | Guadeloupe
30 April 2023 | Guadeloupe
04 April 2023 | Portsmouth Dominica
22 March 2023 | Rodney Bay Marina, St Lucia
04 March 2023 | Admiralty Bay Bequia
18 December 2022 | Petit Martinique, Grenada, WI
21 September 2018 | prickly bay grenada
11 July 2017 | oaxaca mexico
11 May 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
02 March 2017 | frigate island, union island, svg, wi
27 February 2017 | tobago cays, svg, wi
24 February 2017 | saltwhistle bay, mayreau, svg, wi
23 February 2017
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou, Grenada
17 February 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, wi
20 January 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
09 November 2016 | Block Island RI
29 September 2016 | block island rhode island

back in grenada

10 June 2015 | prickly bay
cloudy but pleasant
Here's a catch-up post that could/should have been posted last week Wednesday.

Planes, trains, and automobiles. Yesterday morning, dropped the rental car off at the Thrifty location near the Philadelphia airport at 0500. Ordered an Uber black car that showed up within 5 minutes and I was standing in line at the 30th Street Amtrak station fifteen minutes later. It was a pleasant train ride to Penn Station in New York City and by 0730 I was sitting down to a bagel, cream cheese, and lox. Lugging a backpack and two bags through the subway turnstile and onto the E train was a bit challenging -- but no real problems and by 0900 exited the Air Train in JFK Terminal 8. Checked my sail bag to Grenada and headed for TSA. It's always interesting to see whether any of the various odds and ends that make it into my carry-on bags invite closer scrutiny. This time it was a plastic bag filled with dvds and a 1/2 inch wrench that fortunately was just under seven inches long. The ceramic stir fry pan, small pressure cooker, water filters, and salt and pepper grinders didn't even merit a glance.

By 1000 I was sitting at the gate for the 1120 flight to Miami. Now we just passed Cape May at 38000 feet and are cruising south. When you spend most of your days thinking that six knots is really moving, having been in three states and flying over a fourth all before noon is a bit mind boggling. Two hour layover in Miami and then on to Grenada where Paul will be waiting with his taxi to take me to Timbers where a dinghy will be waiting for me. Then back on Evening Ebb after a two week trip that turned into two months.

**update** the trip was not as uneventful as that last paragraph indicated. There was a thunderstorm parked over the Miami airport and we circled for about 40 minutes offshore before diverting to West Palm Beach where we sat on the ground for 45 minutes. After refueling, took off for the 19 minute flight to Miami and we arrived an hour and a half late -- but still 40 minutes before the flight to Grenada. Time to grab some orange chicken over fried rice and still board with my group.

The last week has been filled with ferries, trains, and a red Nissan Sentra that had only 1600 miles on it when I rented it last Tuesday (2600 miles when I dropped it off this morning). Covered a lot of ground with trips to New York (the Met and walking on the High Line), Atlantic City, Long Beach Island NJ, Philadelphia (Rittenhouse square and more), Annapolis, and Herrington Harbour. Already bought a flight back into JFK on the 18th of June. The plan is to spend one night in Manhattan; up to Boston for the weekend; down to Block Island for the next week or so; then down the Mid-Atlantic states for a week or so before heading back to Grenada for the rest of the summer.

One week to work on a list of boat projects that includes maintenance, trouble shooting, and a couple of upgrades. Have to get my new house bank batteries charged and running, finish installing the second solar panel on the starboard rail, install the sea gull water filter, wire the new shower sump switch in the head, find out why the wind transducer stopped spinning, rig the new forward awning, dive for the missing batten for the cockpit awning, service the engine, make sure the depth gauge and chart plotter are working, decide whether to leave the sails on or put them away for the trip north, find time for some diving, and generally settle back into life on the boat if only briefly. Perhaps the best part will be catching up with friends returning to Grenada for hurricane season.

It's been a good two months.
Comments
Vessel Name: s/v Evening Ebb
Vessel Make/Model: 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hailing Port: Washington, DC
Extra:
The boat's name comes from a poem by Robinson Jeffers: Evening Ebb The ocean has not been so quiet for a long while; five nightherons Fly shorelong voiceless in the hush of the air Over the calm of an ebb that almost mirrors their wings. The sun has gone down, and the water has gone [...]
s/v Evening Ebb's Photos - Main
36 Photos
Created 27 January 2013
Traveling shots on the ICW Jan 2013.
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 20 December 2012

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC