Evening Ebb

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC
23 May 2023
14 May 2023
03 May 2023 | Guadeloupe
30 April 2023 | Guadeloupe
04 April 2023 | Portsmouth Dominica
22 March 2023 | Rodney Bay Marina, St Lucia
04 March 2023 | Admiralty Bay Bequia
18 December 2022 | Petit Martinique, Grenada, WI
21 September 2018 | prickly bay grenada
11 July 2017 | oaxaca mexico
11 May 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
02 March 2017 | frigate island, union island, svg, wi
27 February 2017 | tobago cays, svg, wi
24 February 2017 | saltwhistle bay, mayreau, svg, wi
23 February 2017
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou, Grenada
17 February 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, wi
20 January 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
09 November 2016 | Block Island RI
29 September 2016 | block island rhode island

sunday morning -- well into september already

06 September 2015 | prickly bay
a few clouds in a blue sky
The view this morning looking from Evening Ebb to the SSE and the mouth of Prickly Bay -- roughly toward the open ocean and Trinidad. It's still hot and humid in Grenada -- the winds have been light providing very little relief from the humidity. Hard to believe we're a week into September already. Keeping an eye on Tropical Storm Grace -- current forecasts have it tracking north of Grenada. The storms so far have noticeably affected our winds changing the direction and velocity from the normal trade winds.

After our attempt to deliver the 1968 Cheoy Lee 36 foot yawl a week ago Wednesday/Thursday we finally got the job done last Friday/Saturday. Dropped the mooring ball in Prickly Bay at 1500 and left under sail with a good wind out of the east, east-northeast. When the sun set, the full moon provided light all night and didn't set until the sun was coming up Saturday morning. We were able to reach for our easting without pinching (important to be east of a direct course since the current and the wind push to the west) and when we spotted the first of the oil platforms we were able to bear off and run to Boca de Monos, the strait separating Monos Island from the Chaguaramas peninsula. Even with an adverse current in Boca de Monos, we were tied up at Peakes Yacht Services in Chaguaramas by 0800.

After a glorious overnight sail, it was quite a change to hit the ground running and sorting out clearing customs and immigration, making arrangements with the marina, and figuring out how to get back to Grenada. Had a few issues with Immigration that were finally resolved after ten to fifteen minutes of conversation and a staring contest during which I kept smiling and nodding. Customs went smoothly, partly because John had been busy flirting with the officer while I had been sorting out Immigration.

Nicholas at Peakes Yacht Services was very helpful and arranged to get the boat hauled on a Saturday morning so we could leave. After a bit of excitement negotiating a surprisingly strong current in the travel lift slip (I had visions of the outboard getting clipped by the dock -- just missed) the boat was safely tied up and then hauled, washed, moved into the yard, and blocked ready for whatever work the owners want to put into her while she's in the yard.

Found a shower and had a nice breakfast at Zanzibars next the marina office. Then made arrangements for a ride to the airport. Had no idea that getting there would involve negotiating extremely heavy traffic on six and eight lane highways (there were more cars stuck in traffic on our side of the highway than there are on the entire island of Grenada). The trip took over an hour and this was in spite of the best efforts of our driver who used every trick he could imagine and some I'd never seen (the three lane swerve back and forth, passing on the shoulder, ducking onto side streets to avoid a light). The traffic was astoundingly heavy and this was on a Saturday afternoon of a holiday weekend since Monday was Independence day. Finally made it to the airport and after a ten minute conversation with the LIAT representative who only wanted to sell us round trip tickets, we were able to buy one way tickets to Grenada. Again smiling and persistence paid off. The plane was almost on time which I think for LIAT means it was actually early. I was back on Evening Ebb by 2200.

It's been a quiet week in Prickly Bay. Thought about going up to Carriacou for the hash this weekend and just play on the boat, but decided to stay here and work on my French (five sessions with my French tutor) and study for the divemaster exam. There were around 50 people at services Friday night and we had a minyan for Selichot last night.

Finalized travel plans for September and October. Unfortunately, both deliveries have been canceled. I've got feelers out for another boat heading south, but nothing yet.

Flying north on 17th of September and spending the night in New York City before catching a train to DC on the 18th. Yom Kippur at Adas and time with friends before heading back to New York on the 24th and flying to Paris that evening. Five nights in an AirBnB apartment in the 15th arrondissement near the Eiffel Tower. Taking the train south on Wednesday the 30th to meet Merrill and Mary for a week on their canal boat in the southwest corner of France. Back to Paris on the 7th and New York on the 8th. A weekend in Boston then out to Phoenix with a quick trip to LA and Santa Barbara and back to BWI on the 20th. Picking up a rental car and spending time with friends in Annapolis, St Marys, and DC. Have not bought a ticket south, yet.

The looming decision is what to do with the end of 2015 and 2016. Probably start by choosing a direction: north, west, stationary, or maybe even east (definitely not south). There's no right or wrong answer -- only choices.

An interesting article exploring how steep the streets and hills really are in San Francisco?

A product I may have to get for Evening Ebb.

And finally, if you're heading to a party or a potluck this labor day weekend, this is a cool idea for watermelons:

Comments
Vessel Name: s/v Evening Ebb
Vessel Make/Model: 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hailing Port: Washington, DC
Extra:
The boat's name comes from a poem by Robinson Jeffers: Evening Ebb The ocean has not been so quiet for a long while; five nightherons Fly shorelong voiceless in the hush of the air Over the calm of an ebb that almost mirrors their wings. The sun has gone down, and the water has gone [...]
s/v Evening Ebb's Photos - Main
36 Photos
Created 27 January 2013
Traveling shots on the ICW Jan 2013.
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 20 December 2012

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC