Evening Ebb

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC
23 May 2023
14 May 2023
03 May 2023 | Guadeloupe
30 April 2023 | Guadeloupe
04 April 2023 | Portsmouth Dominica
22 March 2023 | Rodney Bay Marina, St Lucia
04 March 2023 | Admiralty Bay Bequia
18 December 2022 | Petit Martinique, Grenada, WI
21 September 2018 | prickly bay grenada
11 July 2017 | oaxaca mexico
11 May 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
02 March 2017 | frigate island, union island, svg, wi
27 February 2017 | tobago cays, svg, wi
24 February 2017 | saltwhistle bay, mayreau, svg, wi
23 February 2017
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou, Grenada
17 February 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, wi
20 January 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
09 November 2016 | Block Island RI
29 September 2016 | block island rhode island

thursday may 11th

11 May 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
sunny and hot
A shot from Savvy looking back at the pack during the third race of the West Indies regatta a week ago Sunday. While the trip to St Barths and back was wet and we hand-steered the boat for over sixty hours each way (with only a compass that had no night light), the trip was a blast and we had fun at the regatta. As a friend reminded me, it's a good thing sailors have such poor short term memory otherwise we'd never go back to sea.

Here's a shot of Savvy back in Grenada tied to her spot in Port Louis Marina



And a shot of the Spirit of Bermuda backing in next to us in Gustavia. The crew was great and they even hosted a Dark and Stormy party on Saturday night. It was fun to spend time on a boat I had walked past so many times when I was in Bermuda last year.



Here's a shot of Sweetheart leaving the quai in Gustavia heading back to Antigua. In 2013 I crewed on her during the Antigua Classics. We beat Savvy and won our class. Sweetheart was berthed next to Savvy at the yacht club in Falmouth harbour and that's where I met Danny and he talked me into bringing my boat to Grenada.



Evening Ebb returned to Prickly Bay on the 12th of March. Since then I logged my 500th dive, installed a television, and managed to lose the dinghy when I must have been tired and forgot to tie it to the boat. Went below and when I came up two hours later, there was no dinghy. As I was on the radio asking if anyone had seen it, Magnum, the boat behind me swung and I saw the dinghy on the beach. Carl was already on his way and he ran me to shore. I hopped out and retrieved it. It's hard to describe the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach when your only method of dry transportation to shore is missing. I treated the dinghy to a servicing at Sea Safety Services, Donal and Sarah's life raft and dinghy servicing company at Prickly Bay Marina. I think they got it almost as clean as it was when I unpacked it the first time. They found some damage on the bottom of the starboard pontoon and patched it. Other than that, after five years of service, the Zodiac is still in great shape -- and clean!!

Heading to the BVI in two weeks to help friends take their schooner south to Grenada. Should be back in Grenada the middle of June. Then the end of June a quick trip to St Maarten to take a boat straight back to Grenada. After that, I'm still mulling over possibilities for the summer.

Kick 'em Jenny is an active submarine volcano just north of Grenada. It's been active again so we gave the exclusion zone a wide berth on the trip back. One of the most devastating eruptions in the windward islands was when Mt Pele on Martinique erupted. Here's an account of the devastation from that eruption.



And finally, on April 13 the sailboat Vamp was found drifting three miles south of Grenada. When they boarded the boat, the Coast Guard found the body of a 62 year old German sailor who had died during the passage from the Canary islands. The Coast Guard towed the boat to their base in Prickly Bay and it's still here on a mooring while the family and the German government sort out the details of its disposition.
Comments
Vessel Name: s/v Evening Ebb
Vessel Make/Model: 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hailing Port: Washington, DC
Extra:
The boat's name comes from a poem by Robinson Jeffers: Evening Ebb The ocean has not been so quiet for a long while; five nightherons Fly shorelong voiceless in the hush of the air Over the calm of an ebb that almost mirrors their wings. The sun has gone down, and the water has gone [...]
s/v Evening Ebb's Photos - Main
36 Photos
Created 27 January 2013
Traveling shots on the ICW Jan 2013.
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 20 December 2012

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC