Evening Ebb

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC
23 May 2023
14 May 2023
03 May 2023 | Guadeloupe
30 April 2023 | Guadeloupe
04 April 2023 | Portsmouth Dominica
22 March 2023 | Rodney Bay Marina, St Lucia
04 March 2023 | Admiralty Bay Bequia
18 December 2022 | Petit Martinique, Grenada, WI
21 September 2018 | prickly bay grenada
11 July 2017 | oaxaca mexico
11 May 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
02 March 2017 | frigate island, union island, svg, wi
27 February 2017 | tobago cays, svg, wi
24 February 2017 | saltwhistle bay, mayreau, svg, wi
23 February 2017
19 February 2017 | Tyrell Bay, Carriacou, Grenada
17 February 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, wi
20 January 2017 | prickly bay, grenada, west indies
09 November 2016 | Block Island RI
29 September 2016 | block island rhode island

December 2022 shake down cruise

18 December 2022 | Petit Martinique, Grenada, WI
Sue S | sunny and windy
Season's greeting from Evening Ebb. Dirk and I (Sue for those who don't know me) arrived back on board at the beginning of November. Dirk had worked diligently during the summer to finish the boat projects and get her ready to sail up island. However, a few projects needed to be finished and as with all boat project more seemed to pop up while fixing others. For us it was the fridge and the rigging. Dirk's insurance required a rigging survey. During the summer he had no luck scheduling a survey the one company. However, he finally found someone who came out to the boat and found a few issues, one required sourcing two toggles overseas. Importing to an island is never straightforward and Grenada is no exception. The fridge also required attention which after several days of trouble shooting needed a part from overseas. Dirk was able to do his 'advanced boat yoga' and install the part. By the time we left on 6th December most of the boat had been completed.

It was not all work and no play while we were on the mooring ball in Prickly Bay. I attended my regular yoga and Zumba classes with the instructor Leslie, who is also a fellow cruiser. I visited with Frank and Lottie and got my doubles on Tuesdays and Saturdays. They sell them out of the back of their van and the doubles are the best on the Island, delicious!!!

We caught up with friends, had dinners out and I took part in several hashes. A Hash is a run/Walk through the bush very muddy - but a great challenge. Dirk organised a thanksgiving dinner with fellow American cruisers. We gathered on Gary's boat and ate, had seconds, and even leftovers - which Dirk thinks makes for a great Thanksgiving dinner.

A few cruisers and I went to a Christmas light festival and carol concert at Quarantine point, put on by the Grenadian Rotarians. It was a lovely event and put me in the Christmas mood. Although, I had been hearing Christmas carols in the shops since we arrived. Apparently Christmas lights and music starts after Grenadian Thanksgiving in October.



We left our mooring ball on 6th December and motored round to Grand Mal, where we picked up a mooring ball and spent 2 nights there. It was very rolly. I like the area because the snorkelling is good. I have a Go-Pro which I am getting familiar with - so hopefully I will have some good under water photos. The weather has been unusually - very light 2-7 kts winds from the northwest. The windward Islands usually have predictable trade winds 10-20 kts from east or northeast all year round.

We motored up to Carriacou and dropped anchor in Tyrell Bay, where we stayed for a week. Dirk finished splicing the new halyards. He got so annoyed when one halyard wouldn't pull through that he pulled out the top climber and zoomed up the mast! It was twisted at the top. I got involved with noodling classes (aqua aerobics with a noodle) and played dominoes with fellow cruisers and snow birds. I took a couple of hikes and was amazed at the number of huge mosquitoes.



We motored over to Petit Martinique (PM) and dropped anchor in front of Petit St Vincent (PSV). We heard that it cost $100 just for the privilege of going ashore, needless to say we didn't go ashore in PSV. Instead we dinghied over to PM and had lunch at the Palm Beach restaurant and a wander round.

We are heading back to Grenada for Christmas with friends and we want to wish you a Happy Holidays.
Comments
Vessel Name: s/v Evening Ebb
Vessel Make/Model: 1979 Pearson 365 Ketch
Hailing Port: Washington, DC
Extra:
The boat's name comes from a poem by Robinson Jeffers: Evening Ebb The ocean has not been so quiet for a long while; five nightherons Fly shorelong voiceless in the hush of the air Over the calm of an ebb that almost mirrors their wings. The sun has gone down, and the water has gone [...]
s/v Evening Ebb's Photos - Main
36 Photos
Created 27 January 2013
Traveling shots on the ICW Jan 2013.
47 Photos
Created 5 January 2013
3 Photos
Created 20 December 2012

s/v evening ebb

Port: Washington, DC