Cruising on Destiny

30 May 2014 | Cape May, NJ
15 May 2013 | Beaufort, NC to Hertford
08 May 2013 | Charleston, SC
03 May 2013 | various
03 May 2013 | Duck Key, FL
09 March 2013 | Hawks Cay Marina, Duck Key
07 March 2013 | Rodriguez Key
05 March 2013 | No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne
02 March 2013 | Palm Beach, FL
07 February 2013 | Stuart, FL
06 January 2013 | Stuart, FL
04 December 2012 | Stuart, FL
01 December 2012 | Port Canaveral
29 November 2012 | Titusville, FL
28 November 2012 | Daytona
25 November 2012 | St. Augustine, FL
21 November 2012 | Charleston, SC
18 November 2012 | Southport, NC
17 November 2012 | Southport, NC
16 November 2012 | Wrightsville Beach

End of first phase of cruise

04 December 2012 | Stuart, FL
Joannie/mix of sun, clouds, showers...FL!
Sunday, after returning the rental car in Port Canaveral, we left the dock at 0930 and proceeded south on the ICW. What started out as a sunny day turned to grey skies and showers in the afternoon. The biggest challenge was getting under the bridges that consistently read 63’ and 64’ clearances. Being on the Indian River we knew there were no high and low tides, so we chanced it - going under very slowly as John listened for the antenna pinging on the bridges; and it did. But fortunately, nothing was knocked off the top of the mast!
Each day, John checks a very reliable website called “active captain” to see if there are any warnings (e.g. shoaling, missing markers, obstructions, etc.) in our pathway. This website also lists recommended marinas and anchorages along the ICW with comments from other boaters. The area of the Indian River we were on had a dearth of places suitable for us to stop for the night; but it really is important to find a place and drop the anchor before dark. Travelling on the ICW in dark is risky since many of the markers are day markers (i.e. unlighted). We picked a cove in Winter Beach, FL that was not charted but recommended with reservations. It was small and relatively shallow, but we were the only boat in it that night, so we were OK.
Monday we weighed anchor at 0730 and had a delightful day. The trip in this part of the Indian River went by the Fort Pierce Inlet where we were joined by a number of dolphins. We never tire of their visits as they swim alongside the boat and occasionally wink at us! South of Fort Pierce we passed Port St. Lucie and Hutchinson Island. My parents lived in PST for a number of years and we made many trips to see them during spring vacations - another stroll down memory lane!
We arrived in Stuart, FL. by late afternoon and docked at the Sunset Bay Marina. This is where we will leave the boat for a month while we fly home to spend Christmas with family and friends.
Thanks for joining us for this first phase of our winter cruise 2012/13.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a healthy, Happy New Year!
Comments
Vessel Name: DESTINY
Vessel Make/Model: FREEDOM 45
Hailing Port: HERTFORD, NC
Crew: JOHN AND JOAN ERNST
About:
Joan, a retired music teacher, grew up sailing on Long Island Sound, NY. John, a retired dentist, grew up outside Buffalo, NY in East Aurora, and learned to sail as a teenager. We have been married 47 years and have two grown daughters, two great sons-in-law and four precious grandchildren. [...]

LIVING OUR DREAM

Who: JOHN AND JOAN ERNST
Port: HERTFORD, NC