Fantasia

1982 Formosa 51ft Pilot House Ketch

23 October 2018 | Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico
20 October 2018 | Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico
26 January 2018 | Puerto Madero, Chiapas
21 January 2018 | Acapulco, Mexico
14 January 2018 | Huatulco to Puerto Angel
03 January 2018 | Chiapas, Mexico
21 December 2017 | Antigua, Guatemala
20 December 2017 | Antigua, Guatemala
19 December 2017 | Antigua, Guatemala
18 December 2017 | Antigua, Guatemala
16 December 2017 | Talisman Frontera, Chiapas, Mexico
15 December 2017 | Talisman Frontera, Mexico
13 December 2017 | Puerto Madera, Chiapas, Mexico
03 December 2017 | Puerto Madero, Mexico
02 December 2017 | Marina Chiapas, Mexico
27 November 2017 | Chiapas, Mexico
11 January 2017 | Barra de Navidad to Bahia Santiago
30 December 2016 | Barra de Navidad
30 December 2016 | Barra de Navidad
30 December 2016 | Barra de Navidad

An Angel in Sight

14 January 2018 | Huatulco to Puerto Angel
Whilst our crossing of the Tehuantepec was generally pretty calm, we had underestimated the effect of the next Tehuantepecker, with wind speeds of 70 knots, on our transit north. Even so, the predicted wave height was not disturbing and so with light winds in the forecast, we departed Marina Chahue, Huatalco and enjoyed a first night at anchor in the next cove, Santa Cruz. The port here is mainly home to pangas and sports fishing boats and is extremely picturesque. A Corona on the beach got us into the cruising mood but when a cruise ship arrived in the morning, it was our signal to weigh anchor.
Within minutes we were out in a big swell which built to 3-4 metres as the day went on. The strange thing was that there was almost zero wind; it was clear that the swell was entirely a result of the strong Tehuantepecker blowing to the south of us. We hoped that as we rounded the point the swell would diminish but this was not to be the case. Having slid off my seat onto the floor, I decided to stay put and hang on to the winch as we slithered and slipped down the waves. In fact, the whole day was just a case of holding on to the boat and my breakfast as I watched the white sand beaches of the Huatulco bays through the whites of my eyes over the white capping.

An unwelcome crew member who has not been seen since our voyage from Isla Isabella to Mantachen Bay 4 years ago, was found to be still on board. He tucks himself away surreptitiously whilst we undertake most passages only to creep out while we are concentrating on staying on board in heavy conditions. Best of all he enjoys a swell on our beam. During this passage our gorilla occupied himself flinging the contents of the boat around from flagstaff to bowsprit and I hesitate to suggest, opening portholes? How else would we end up with two portholes full of water over the bed for I am sure we would not have forgotten to close them.

Fortunately, Stuart had more stamina than me and took it all in his stride as always. Motoring at 6 knots gave us a boat speed through the water of 3 knots and so it was a long 8 hours slog before we reached the rolly but welcome anchorage of Puerto Angel.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fantasia
Vessel Make/Model: Formosa 51
Hailing Port: Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico
Crew: Stuart Cooper and Karen Key

Who: Stuart Cooper and Karen Key
Port: Puerto Vallarta, Nayarit, Mexico