Far Star - Explore, Dream, Discover

Land A'Hoy, we made it

Sunday 22th at 2 am we left Eden to cross Bass Strait and precede to Wineglass bay on the East Coast of Tasmania. We had a 53 hour weather window before a gale force Westerly. but should be able to arrive within 49 hours if all go well and the weather forescast is correct. We had faith in the BOM.
We left with about 8 yachts all with the same plans . We had a HF radio skeg planned at 8 am and 5 pm with some. All went well weather wise except for the motoring for 44 hours on the Rumb line to wineglass bay for 323 miles.
At 1451 on Monday 23th We saw land for the first time off the East coast Mt Nicholas" Land A'Hoy" I had to say it couldn't help myself. At that stage we had the best sailing of the passage no motor on.
After 47 hrs we entered Wineglass bay at 0130 in complete darkest at bit concerning especially when all you can hear is waves breaking on the beach every close and yachts seen in the spotlight rolling from gunnel to gunnel.
Anyway we made it, So we had to have a celebration drink sitting on the cockpit floor so we wouldn't spill our wine.
Next morning we woke to rigging noises and a wind blown bay in a gale hitting 44.4 knts . Thank god we spent the time confirming we anchored well before having drinks. All day it blew, welcome to Tasmania we thought get use to it. One of the yachts Sofia from GB who left before everyone still hadn't arrived, concerns were felt for them as they were punching into the gale to get to WB,
They finally made it later in the day exhausted.
Next day we we able to get off and stretch the legs on the beautiful beach, a real stunning area before the wind blew again from the NE and was time to move.


Comments