First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

V.I.P's in Bau Bau

22 August 2010 | Bau Bau
Di
After one of the most calm and relaxing overnight sails we have had in a long time, we arrived in Bau Bau early Wednesday morning. Being one of the first yachts to arrive at the rally anchorage we were spotted from onshore by the organisers and quickly directed to where we should anchor. They were very pleased to see us and another yacht arrive, as this is the first time the rally has stopped over in Bau Bau and they are keen to promote their city as a tourist destination. When we queried where the supermarket and bank were, an official offered to drive us there and wait while we picked up what we needed. There are many Warungs (food stalls) that line the shore and they fire up every night and draw many of the locals down to the waters edge. Being Ramadan it is interesting to watch people sitting around waiting for the sun to set and the siren to wail as a sign to break fast. They must be very hungry!! We have already eaten at two of the many stalls- it is very inexpensive and we are enjoying working out which is the most tastiest! We have been overwhelmed at the eagerness of the tourism group here and their welcome. Beginning yesterday we have a full four day program of being bused around to various sites of interest. Yesterday we visited the waterfall not far from town and then later in the day we were taken to a picnic area out of town that overlooks the water, to eat traditional food from stalls that were set up and then to watch the sunset. Each time we ventured out we had full police escort, as apparently we are guests of the mayor. So with sirens blaring and police cars in front and behind the bus we zoomed through town with all oncoming traffic being blasted off the road to free the way! We feel the extra attention to our safety and security is a reaction to the protest by demonstrators at the final function we attended at our last stopover in Wakatobi. The word has got out to the officials here and they are determined to do it bigger and better! This morning we visited some caves just out of town that were full of stalagtites and stalagmites. It was quite a steep descent to the water pool at the bottom but a dubious generator up at ground level kept the lamps burning below, which made the climb easier. The next two days are full of activities including a trip to a traditional Balinese village, a visit to a pearl farm and a gala dinner at the mayors official residence. Being transported to the different sites by bus is a real bonus and makes it possible to see so much more. We are being quite spoilt here!
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia