First Light adventures

29 July 2017 | Paynesville
28 July 2017 | Cape Conran
24 July 2017 | Eden
24 July 2017 | Eden
23 July 2017 | Off Batemans Bay
22 July 2017 | 8nm offshore from Sydney
21 July 2017 | Newcastle
17 July 2017 | Off Pt Stephens
14 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
13 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
12 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia from Noumea
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
10 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
09 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
08 July 2017 | Enroute to Australia
06 July 2017 | Noumea
03 July 2017 | Port Moselle Noumea
27 June 2017 | Noumea
25 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea
24 June 2017 | Enroute from Fiji to Noumea

We made it!!

24 November 2010 | Langkawi
Bern
After leaving Pangkor marina we made a short sail north to Monkey island and spent the night there so we could ensure we 'd make the distance to Penang in daylight hours the following day. We got an early start and as there was no wind we were motoring along and dodging a few fishing boats and nets. Suddenly the engine slowed down and there was a bad vibration...must be some rubbish around the prop again. A quick check to make sure there were no jelly fish around and Bern was over the side and diving under the boat to investigate. As expected there was a big plastic bag wrapped around the prop and as he dragged it clear he felt a stinging pain on his arm and chest. There must have been jellyfish tentacles caught up in the plastic. With the plastic bag clear we got back on our way and started first aid treatment on a very painful arm and chest. We quickly ran through a plan in case he became unconscious and needed medical assistance. After about four hours the pain had subsided and he was feeling much better. We arrived in Penang early afternoon and anchored in a reasonably sheltered bay as the marina there is exposed to swell and the wash from non stop ferry traffic. The next day we started exploring the old city and finding our way around. Penang is a former British colony with many of the colonial buildings well preserved and still in use. We spent quite a few hours walking around the museum which describes through the numerous displays the history of Penang and the influence of all the cultures that have contributed to how Penang is today. People have come from China, Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Burma, the middle east and of course Britain. We walked through Little India, Chinatown and some huge shopping malls that are popular throughout Malaysia. The choice of cuisine is endless and we discovered a great Indian vegetarian restaurant serving delicious food at a total cost of $5 AUS!!! From Penang our next stopover was in the Fiord like islands just south of Langkawi and was one of the prettiest anchorages we have been in this year. The area is entered through a narrow channel in between high cliffs, home to Kites and monkeys. It is very secluded and a very protected anchorage. We spent three days here with quite a few other yachts then motored a further 5 nms around to the main town of Kuah on Langkawi Island. Kuah is mainly filled with Duty Free Shops and is a popular shopping destination for mainland Malaysians. Alcohol, chocolate and clothing are the major drawcards- Bern was quite excited to be able to buy a slab of beer(24 cans) for $10 AUS!!! Our final stop for this year was to a marina on Rebak island not far from Langkawi. We have spent the week here cleaning the boat from top to bottom in readiness for leaving it closed up while we return to Australia for a few months. As the weather is very humid and mould is a problem we have to leave fans running and containers of bleach sitting around to keep the boat as dry as possible and the mould at bay. We fly to Kuala Lumpur on Friday for the weekend and finally arrive in Australia Monday morning. We hope you have enjoyed following our blogs. There will be a break of a few months before we resume our travels in Asia next year.
Comments
Vessel Name: First Light III
Vessel Make/Model: Adams 12
Hailing Port: Melbourne Australia
Crew: Bernie
About: Bernie is passionate about sailing and finally living his dream to cruise long term. Dianne is First Mate and looking forward to many adventures along the way.
Extra:
First Light III was fitted out and equipped by Bernie and launched in 2004. She is a fractional rigged cutter with a good turn of speed. Specification: Length 12 m. Beam 4m. Draught 2.2m Displacement 7500Kg Engine Yanmar 39HP Saildrive HF radio with email capability High capacity ECH2O [...]

First Light 111 Adventures

Who: Bernie
Port: Melbourne Australia