Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Finally able to go in the water!

15 April 2010 | Pasa Boca de Juan Grin, Cuba
Ralph
We left Cabo Cruz at 4:00am as we had a lot of ground to cover and we needed to get there in the afternoon when the light was good and we could "read the water". We put up full sails thinking the wind was going to be in the 15 - 20kt range. And it was for the first 15 minutes and then it started blowing 20 and then 25 - 30. Because it was dark there was no way I was going to try and reef, so we let out the main to spill some of the wind and hung on for a wild ride. We averaged 8.7kts for the first 6 hours of the passage and often seen speeds in the double digits. The last couple of hours it died down some and we were in the lee of some islands so the waves calmed down as well.

We had a couple of "firsts" for us. On the passage we had a couple of flying fish jump into the boat - one almost hit Karen. The first few flopped their way back into the water, but another jumped in but we could not find it. We knew it was there as it smelled. In the daylight Karen found it between a couple of cushions. The other first was this morning we woke up to find that our anchor had dragged and we were hard on the ground - at least the starboard hull was. Kokopelli came over with their dingy and using the motors we were able to get off easily. WHEW!

There are no towns around here and the only people we have seen are some fisherman. 4 of them came over yesterday and they wanted to know if we wanted some Lobster. We said sure, so they went about 1/4 mile south of us jumped in the water and returned about 1/2 hour later with 4 of them for us. We gave them a liter of rum which cost about $4, so a pretty trade.

We are going to try and find a better anchorage and then possibly stay there a few days.

A belated happy birthday to Lori and Tom. Hope you had a good one.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada