Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

What a fantastic island

09 May 2010 | Isla Providencia - 13.22N 81.22W
Ralph
We had a couple of projects on the list to take care of before we started our exploring. The watermaker problem turned out to just be an air lock in the water intake. The radar on the other had has not been figured out. Power is getting to the dome and we also checked the cable that connects to the chartplotter and it all seems to be fine. So now it looks like there something wrong with the dome itself so hopefully I can find someone in Colon, Panama that can check it out.

We went into town to go to the softball games and met Steve, another cruiser that has spent alot of time here. He introduced us to his friend Casi, who lives right across the road from the dingy dock. Casi was supposed to be playing ball, but he was pissed because they had moved him from 1st base to rightfield, so he did not go. We sat by his house drinking beer and some sambuca type drink until everyone was well primed. We finally made it to the baseball games and the place was full. We saw the last few innings of the men's game and then watched the women's game. The pitcher for one of the women's teams was outstanding. The woman can pitch windmill style and she could really throw the ball. We thought that team would kick the others ass, but it turned out to be a close game. We then returned to the Casi's house and sat out in the front street drinking more of that liquor and meeting Casi's family and friends. The people here are the friendliest we have encountered. Most of them speak english so communication is not the challenge it was in Cuba. And they also speak spanish, so we are going to take this opportunity to work on our spanish vocabulary. The people really appreciate it when you try to speak spanish and they are very patient with us and prompt us along.

We are heading back into town today to help Casi with a Conch project they are conducting here to try to improve the population and then its back to the baseball field to watch the games.

I had forgotten to mention that while at the marina in Ceinfuegos, Cuba we met a local man that worked at the marina whose wife was expecting twins. He had just found out that morning and was very excited. We offered him some of the baby clothes and he readily agreed. I took him over two large bags full of baby clothes and the few maternity clothes we had. I set the bags on his desk and he said "Whats this?" I opened the bags and showed him the contents and he was overwhelmed. I shook his hand and then he gave me a big bear hug. He saw Karen I little while later and also gave her a big hug. We also met another young man that worked at the marina that had a 2 month old girl. I asked him about his daughter and he proudly pulled out a picture from his wallet. We also gave him a couple of bags full of clothes. So thanks Philip for giving us these clothes - They are making a big difference in somebodies life in Cuba.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada