Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Starting to think about moving on

22 May 2010 | Isla Providencia - 13.22N 81.22W
Ralph
We did not do much yesterday. We were supposed to go over to Gato's place and help him with his house. He is rebuilding it to make it stronger incase a hurricane heads this way again. But other things came up for Gato, so it did not work out.

There are a whole bunch of new boats here at the anchorage, so we are going to go in to the Bamboo and have a cruisers night tonight. Most of the boats are on their way north to the Rio Dulce, but a few are heading south. One boat is heading to Australia, so they have a long journey ahead of them. They did one straight run from Florida to here - I think it was over 800 miles.

We have heard rumors about a horse race today down at SW bay, so we will probably go down and check it out. I think we will take the Chiva or maybe rent a scooter.

We are starting to watch the weather closely to look for a good weather window to head to Panama. It's 250 miles so should take about 40 hours. We will probably leave around noon and should arrive after two nights at sea. It will be pretty interesting going in to Panama with all the MEGA freighters around. We are thinking about stopping and heading up the Chagres river, which is only about 6 miles from Colon. It is a major river and you can navigate right up to the dam that was built to support the Panama Canal system. It supposed to be beautiful with jungle on both sides and howler monkeys everywhere.

Answers to a couple of questions:

Pidicure cost $12,000 pesos - About $6.00. But Karen gave her a good tip as the lady did an excellent job. A cool story about the lady. There was a young family living close to here - the mother was a drug addict and did not take her daughter to school. So this lady got fed up with the situation and has now taken it upon her self to make sure this girl is getting to school everyday, has proper clothes and eats a good meal.

Yes they have beer and hotdogs (Perro Caliente) at the baseball games. LOTS of beer. The hotdogs come on a stick - sort of like a corn dog. But they also have empanadas and these balls that have potato and chicken inside - they are the best! Last weekend we had some empanada's that were stuffed with crab meat - delicious.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada