Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Wonderful Day

23 May 2010 | Isla Providencia - 13.22N 81.22W
Ralph
We were not really sure what we were going to do yesterday. I talked to the cruisers in the anchorage about going into the Bamboo restaraunt and then we headed into town. We quickly ran into Gato's wife, Ileeda and she said they were working on the house right now and I could come help. Gato has built his house waaaay up on a hill and there are is not a road to take you up there - you have to walk. So all materials for the house have been carried up their by hand, which a massive job in its self. All of the concrete blocks - All of the sand and rock that was used to make the concrete for the floors, pillars and mortar. All carried up in small bags. They were putting on the roof. They had the rafters up and were just about to start covering it with sheet metal. We stayed for the whole day and helped out how ever I could. At first I was just handing tools, helping them cut boards, but by the end of the day I was up on the roof screwing down the metal. Gato and his wife built their first house themselves 20 years ago out of mostly wood, and the new house is right beside the old one on the same site, but built out of concrete blocks and cement floors. The new house will be a two story, walkout style and should be very nice when they get it done. Gato's friend Daniel was also over helping along with Gato's two sons, Daniel's son and Casi's son (Gato's nephew) joined in later in the afternoon.

I would have to say this was the most enjoyable day I have ever spend while out cruising. To be with this family for the day working on their house on this tiny island is an experience I will never forget. Karen helped Ileeda prepare lunch. WOW. When we took a break to eat, I sat down in a chair and she brings me this platter that is heaped with food. At first I thought it was for everybody, but no, this was just for me! A big pile of crab meat, mixed with spices and some sauce. A big pile of crab claws that had been cooked in evaporated milk. Along with some rice, smashed plantains and some salad. It was the best meal I have eaten on the island and those crab claws were outstanding.

We also had the cruisers outing over at the Bamboo. Again we had a fabulous time and met some real nice people. We talked with people from Australia, Italy, France, Porto Rico, USA and Canada. We especially enjoyed talking with the folks for Australia. When I went over to their boat to invite them out for dinner, I had a Harness Racing T-shirt on from Nat Christie day at Calgary Stampede. They quickly noticed this as David was involved in Harness racing in Australia when he was younger and they also like the rodeo and have come to Calgary specifically to go the Calgary Stampede. So we had lots to talk about.

The horse race did take place at SW Bay, but we missed it. Maybe next time. Today we are going to watch baseball and then Gato and his wife are coming out to the boat for dinner
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada