Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Almost there..

01 November 2010 | Caribbean Sea - 10.18.7N 75.50.300W
Ralph
Happy birthday Mom. I love you and hope you have a great day.

We have had uneventful trip os far. We are only 11 miles from the harbor entrance to Cartagena. We have averaged 5.6 kts, but have both motors running the whole way. We have the sails up to, but if we just had the sails up it would have taken us 4 days to get here. We have probably only used about 24 gallons of diesel to get here so I don;t feel to bad about using the motors. And the longer you stay out here, the more chance you have of running into some crap. We have not even come close to any squalls. you do see lightening at time to time, but it has always been far away.

We did have a visitor yesterday for about 15 minutes. A small finch came and landed on the boat when were were about 70 miles from the nearest land. He did not seem to be tired, but was looking for water. There were a few drops of water on one of the hatches and he was trying to suck that up. We so got some water for it and I sprayed it down with mister bottle we have. He was not afraid of us at all - he kept trying to land on me. We took 3 hours shifts last night and I was REAL tired after my first 3 hours sleep. I had a hard time staying awake for the next 3 hours, but I listened to podcasts on my ipod and that really helps. I even watched a couple of TV shows on the ipod that I had downloaded. I love my ipod!

I am not sure if we will check in today or not. It depends on what time we get the anchor down and how comfortable we are with the holding. The holding can be bad. There is a marina here (Club Nautico) and we might see if we can get a spot to stay there for awhile. The nightlife is supposed to be great here, and it would be sooooooo much easier to go out at night if you did not have to dingy out to your boat in the dark. There is also a problem here with theft of dingy's and we would have better security there. But the marina has been under construction for a couple of years now and I don't know what the state of things are. We will go and check it out and decide from there.

I better go and take down my Panama flag and put up the "Q" flag...
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada