Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
13 May 2011 | Calgary, Canada
29 March 2011 | Cusco, Peru
16 March 2011 | La Paz, Bolivia
14 March 2011 | Puno, Peru
10 March 2011 | Ariquipa, Peru
07 March 2011 | Nazca Peru
01 March 2011 | Lima Peru
23 February 2011 | Panamarina, Panama
19 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
16 February 2011 | Miradup, San Blas, Panama
13 February 2011 | Rio Sidra & Canbombia, San Blas, Panama
11 February 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
08 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
04 February 2011 | Nargana, San Blas, Panama
02 February 2011 | Hot tub, Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
01 February 2011 | Robeson Islands, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
30 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama
28 January 2011 | Salardup, San Blas, Panama

Back in the Holandes

23 January 2011 | lagoon - Middle Holandes Islands, San Blas, Panama
Ralph
It was another awesome day here in the Kuna Yala. We have come to the conclusion that the San Blas is the best cruising grounds that we have encountered. Yesterday we went snorkeling and first went to the outside of the outer reef. It was a little disappointing but there was one moment when I looked over at Kevin and a large eagle ray was swimming just under him. We then went to a reef inside the outer and had a great snorkel. I saw a fish I had never seen before. I dove down to look in a hole and saw the tail that looked a little like an eel, but then it turned around and the head of the fish looked like it was covered in moss! It had this frilly type growth all over its head. I called it a carpet fish. I also saw a large crab, but it was a female and a couple of small lobsters. But the amount of fish in this location is very impressive. Just before we were leaving, Karen spotted a large snapper in a hole and pointed it out to Kevin. Kevin waited and waited and finally got a shot at him. I was already in the dingy when this occurred and you could tell he hit him by the way he was struggling. He called for help and I jumped in and put my spear through his head and that was the end of him. It was the largest fish Kevin has ever shot - I would guess it was over 5 lbs. I filleted the fish for them and got half of one the fillets - cooked it up for supper last night along with some smashed plantain, it was delicious.
Comments
Vessel Name: Five Islands
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 37' TPI
Hailing Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Crew: Ralph & Karen
About: Married 26 years and looking for new adventures to share. Wanting to learn more about the world and about ourselves.
Extra: Five Islands is named after a small island located in the Winnipeg River where many memories were made. We view our boat as the opportunity see amazing places that will create quality memories like the ones made at Five Islands.

Five Islands

Who: Ralph & Karen
Port: Calgary, Alberta, Canada