The Further Adventures of Fly Aweigh (II)

Back on a boat after a 10-year working break, we're off on another adventure! This time, with two hulls, no timeline, and no particular agenda. And sometimes, I’ll use this forum for non-sailing adventures.

31 May 2023 | France
24 May 2023 | Tunis Medina, Tunisia
20 May 2023 | Bizerte, Tunisia
18 May 2023 | Carthage
16 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
14 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
05 February 2023 | Barra de Navidad, Mexico
31 January 2023 | Tenacatita, Mexico
29 January 2023 | Ipala, Mexico
14 January 2023
19 August 2022 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
12 August 2022 | Beverly, Massachusetts
23 July 2022 | Somewhere in the US
01 July 2022 | Channel Islands Harbor
19 June 2022 | Marina Coral, Ensenada
08 June 2022 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, México
04 June 2022 | Los Gatos, Sea of Cortez
24 May 2022 | Santa Rosalia, Baja California Sur, México

Grumpy in Mazatlan

20 December 2009 | Mazatlan, MX
Alison
We're now in Mazatlan, "land of the deer" in the language of the pre-Spanish Nahuatl. The crossing from La Paz to Mazatlan, a 250 mile journey, was not without it's challenges. We left less than an hour before dark, as planned, so we'd arrive Mazatlan in the morning 40 hours later. But the seas were choppy and uncomfortable, and the wind was stronger than we expected or than was forecast, so when the sun went down with no moon, we lost our visual cues and peripheral vision, and with our bodies not acclimated yet to the motion of the rocking boat, we began to feel seriously queasy, a rare event for both of us. It was an uncomfortable first 10 hours with broken sleep, until the next morning, when the sun came back up, the seas calmed a bit, and the wind provided a great 13 solid hours of 6-knot sailing across the southern Sea of Cortez.

It's not uncommon to have bird hitch hikers on board, as many cruising blogs will reveal, and the second night at sea we were joined by 2 frigates. One laid claim to the very top of the mast, where he remained unsteadily for at least 4 hours into the night. The other looked like he was new at the whole flying and landing thing, and we had a complete frigate air show watching him circle the boat, come in on final approach, swoop up toward the spreaders, pull into a sharp stall, grab hold with his beak, and quick get his feet on the spreader. Then, as the boat rocked from side to side, he'd flap furiously trying to keep his balance, his little feet sliding on the flat metal spreader until he'd slam into the mast, at which point he'd give up and try again. Around the boat, swoop up to the spreader, open beak ready to grab, whoop! up on the spreader, flap flap flap flap, slide, slam, jump and try again. Sometimes he'd aim for a different landing spot, none of them really making much sense. Numerous times he thought he could get some rest on the steep forestay, which was wrapped by the furled jib sail. That never worked, but he tried repeatedly. A few times he made low passes over the bird on the top of the mast, squawking angrily. The poor little guy tried valiantly for hours, until finally it got dark and we lost him.

After 39 hours, Allan, who had the watch from 4-7am, woke me an hour out of Mazatlan. I blinked into the bright sunshine on deck, anxious to see the beautiful coastline of mainland Mexico, and was greeted instead by en eerie, skyline - hazy and smoky, spooky, ugly -- like the whole city was on fire. A quiet Armageddon, a gray, flat-looking horizon with the dark contours of huge hotels and buildings, all faceless in the haze. I wanted to turn the boat right around and go back to La Paz. I felt betrayed, whiny, and behaved like a nap-deprived little kid for the next 2 hours.

So I'm grumpy and pissed off because it's icky, Allan is confused because the harbor is nowhere in sight and the GPS display doesn't seem to be accurate, and to top it off, the marina, who we're talking to on the radio, is having trouble answering our question as to where they want us to go. We find the entrance and get the news that our slip will be ready in a few hours, and they direct us to a temporary slip.

We tie up, shower, me moping and nagging, feeling hot and disliking the smoke that is choking my lungs and, most annoyingly, I'm not able to decide what to wear. We call our friends Orlando and Linda on Cuba Libre, who have been here a month. He suggests we hop the little water taxi to the other side of the small marina and come visit. By the time we get to the other side, I'm feeling better, with a little help from food and a nice shower. A quick stop in the marina office to check on the situation reveals that a slip will not be available for a few days. One of the reasons we all love Mexico is that people are a bit more relaxed around here, and in that vein, we know that a few hours can mean a few days, and a few days can mean, what? No telling.

We discuss the issues at hand: First, temporary dock doesn't have electrical hookup. Okay, not a big deal, that's why we have a generator and solar. Second, temporary dock is across from all the stuff -- showers, laundry, food, buses, pools, people we know. Okay, not a big deal, the little water taxi goes back and forth on command and takes 30 seconds. And last, temporary dock does not have water hook up and we have a very salty boat and a very salty bed due to a little snafu -- one we can both claim 100% fault for -- that let gallons of water in the forward hatch during that first rough night at sea and soaked the entire mattress and everything on it, including the clean laundry I had folded and not yet put away. ("Never done that," several people say with guilty smiles as we later relay the story.) So ultimately it's the water thing, and we discuss the idea of going to a different marina. The manager, Geronimo, and his assistant Gladis have a conversation in Spanish that we can't follow, and then tell us confidently that they'll work on it. "No worries," we say, (I love the Aussies for that one) and head down to see Orlando and Linda.

Linda hands us glasses of cold lemonade, and Orlando puts us right at ease about Mazatlan. They have loved their month here, and love the marina. We get reinvigorated, and when we return to the office, they have a slip for us, 2 boats down from Orlando and Linda. All settled.

So we wash the salty boat, take the wet, sopping bedding and clothing to Norma in the laundry, who does a fast and fabulous job of washing, folding and packaging our stuff for only a little more than if we'd done it ourselves. We take naps, and then head for a Cuban meal at Carlos and Lucia's with Orlando and Linda. Orlando is Cuban, and we'd read in Last Resort's blog (Dick and Sharon Drechsler) that on their stop in Mazatlan they went with Orlando and Linda to a Cuban restaurant. I love Cuban food, maybe from all those Miami layovers in the 90's, and so we happily follow in Dick and Sharon's footsteps and tromp off to meet Marty, the Cuban waiter who grew up in Texas, and speaks with a Cuban accent in Spanish and a thick Texas drawl, possibly exaggerated for effect, in English. The food is delightful, especially the fried plantains, the best ever. I could go on and on but I'll leave the food reviews to Sharon, who writes for Examiner.com.

The capper to the long and partially grumpy day was a much-longed for soak in the huge hot tub. You see, we are in a 5-Star resort here at Marina El Cid, which is part of a 4-hotel complex including 2 pools, a hot tub, spa, gym, 18-hole golf course, beach, and restaurants and bars, of course. All available to us as part of our reasonable slip fees. So we're not really suffering out here in the wilds, in case you were worried.

Sunday, we had breakfast at Brujas Beach up coast with O & L, our tour guides for the moment, followed by a lazy day since it's Sunday. At breakfast, we met Captain Rita, who was full of fabulous local stories and has an interesting history as a 100-ton Master, with over 30 years of sailing experience, among other things. Walking back from breakfast, we were approached by one of the 13,752 Time Share Salesmen here in northern Mazatlan, who are like evil pests, relentless, sticky, unshakable. I, in the short few hours we've been in Mazatlan, had had enough, and barked sharply at the guy from across the street. He pursued, and I barked even louder. "Don't be grumpy, senorita!" he said sweetly, as he peeled off.

Just before leaving for breakfast, we saw friends Mary-Ann and John on Old Moon, who had just pulled in from La Paz, and were engaged in doing what Mary-Ann called "the Mexican Cha-cha-cha," driving around in circles for an hour waiting for the temporary slip to clear, because the regular slip they reserved was not available. Sounded vaguely familiar.

We visited with them later and ended up at the busy pool for a late lunch, where I, feeling bold, ordered a martini. Martini's are not one of Mexico's more popular drinks, and so, after a little bit of discussion over the matter, I was invited behind the bar to show the bartender how to make one. There's a photo in the gallery of me in that capacity. Later, they offered me a job. I told them I'd think about it.

Tomorrow we'll get busy with a few more honey-do's, (the boat is a bigger nag than I am) and start exploring Mazatlan a bit. Wednesday we leave on the bus for Los Mochis, where we catch the train Thursday morning to Barrancas del Cobre, the Copper Canyon, to spend Christmas with John and Mary-Ann.

It's a good thing we don't fear change, (okay, maybe just a little) since that's what this cruising life is all about.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fly Aweigh II
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160 Deluxe
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Allan and Alison Gabel
About:
Retired airline pilots exploring the world at a slower pace. 12 years ago we took two-year leaves of absence from our jobs and sailed across the Pacific on a Catalina Morgan 440, which we sold in Australia so we could go back to work. [...]
Fly Aweigh II's Photos - Main
Our trip to Tunisia to join friends Michael and Gloria on their Beneteau Custom 50 sailboat for a trip to Menorca, Spain. And then - a visit to see my brother Chris and his wife Sophie in France!
71 Photos
Created 9 June 2023
7 Photos
Created 14 January 2023
Pictures of our trip northbound from Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2022
From Santa Rosalia south.
16 Photos
Created 4 June 2022
From Puerto Escondido to Santa Rosalia - May 2022
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 13 May 2022
From La Paz to Puerto Escondido in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California)
17 Photos
Created 27 April 2022
13 Photos
Created 17 April 2022
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2022
Life in Barra and environs in the month of February.
18 Photos
Created 27 February 2022
9 Photos
Created 17 February 2022
14 Photos
Created 2 February 2022
Week 2 of our time in Ensenada and the Baja Naval Boatyard.
9 Photos
Created 20 December 2021
Our first week in the Baja Naval Boatyard
12 Photos
Created 11 December 2021
The last, last minute things and our final departure for San Diego.
4 Photos
Created 1 December 2021
Stuff we're doing in the prepping-to-go-sailing phase of our lives.
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2021
21 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
22 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
49 Photos
Created 24 February 2011
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 February 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 16 October 2010
28 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
20 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
23 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
29 Photos
Created 1 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
And other things ...
25 Photos
Created 25 June 2010
28 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 May 2010
34 Photos
Created 3 May 2010
28 Photos
Created 17 April 2010
39 Photos
Created 19 January 2010
Train trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 16 December 2009
Visit with Grant & Phyllis Gabel; Fly Aweigh's Christmas decorations
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
The 11-day adventure from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
12 Photos
Created 7 November 2009
Pre-Ha-Ha days in San Deigo harbor
No Photos
Created 25 October 2009
10 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
Commissioning and Provisioning in Marina del rey
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2009