The Further Adventures of Fly Aweigh (II)

Back on a boat after a 10-year working break, we're off on another adventure! This time, with two hulls, no timeline, and no particular agenda. And sometimes, I’ll use this forum for non-sailing adventures.

31 May 2023 | France
24 May 2023 | Tunis Medina, Tunisia
20 May 2023 | Bizerte, Tunisia
18 May 2023 | Carthage
16 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
14 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
05 February 2023 | Barra de Navidad, Mexico
31 January 2023 | Tenacatita, Mexico
29 January 2023 | Ipala, Mexico
14 January 2023
19 August 2022 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
12 August 2022 | Beverly, Massachusetts
23 July 2022 | Somewhere in the US
01 July 2022 | Channel Islands Harbor
19 June 2022 | Marina Coral, Ensenada
08 June 2022 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, México
04 June 2022 | Los Gatos, Sea of Cortez
24 May 2022 | Santa Rosalia, Baja California Sur, México

Bora Bora

30 June 2010 | Bora Bora
Alison
Bora Bora. Or more accurately, Pora Pora, because there is no "b" in the Tahitian language. My Moon guide says Pora Pora means "first born" since this was the first island created after Raiatea. By my reckoning, that would make Raiatea the firstborn and Pora Pora second, but who am I to mess with Polynesian history and lore?

Said by some to be the most beautiful place on Earth, it is, indeed, striking. The water is magnificent, especially where the lagoon shoals quickly from 70 feet deep to 15 and the color turns abruptly from deep azure to brilliant pale turquoise. To see a boat floating at anchor over the pale turquoise part, waves crashing on the fringing reef in the distance, and the sky a soft lavender, is a little slice of tropical heaven. Mount Pahia in the center of the island is one of the most recognizable sights in the South Pacific, one that inspires poems and songs and romance and second honeymoons. At night in the moonlight it looks powerful and steady, presiding over the lagoon and it's people.

Our passage from Papeete was perfect. Exactly 24 hours of ideal sailing, good seas, and a full moon. We even saw a moonbow -- perhaps that's not it's real name -- but it was a regular rainbow, starting at the horizon and arcing up, created by the light of the moon. A first for both of us, a rainbow in the twilight. We were grateful for the moon, which illuminated the clouds ahead, helping us keep an eye on the weather since our radar is still down. (We're waiting for the radar mount to arrive here in Bora Bora, rather than hanging in Papeete for 10 days.)

It's been windy since our arrival Saturday morning, and rainy at times. The wind is good for Allan, who's had fun with the windsurfer. He even windsurfed over to Paikea Mist to join Michael and Gloria and Gordon and Sherry from Serenity for sundowners, then windsurfed back to Fly Aweigh in the dark a few hours later. Now that's a stylish way to get to a cocktail party!

The snorkeling has been nice, although nothing to go wild over. We're planning a dive tomorrow in the pass, and later in the week we'll do our own dive in an area that is occasionally populated with giant manta rays. We joined Paikea Mist on a jeep tour, which provided some history and interesting facts about Bora Bora, as well as a fun ride up the steep, lumpy dirt road to a hill overlooking the entire island. We learned that there are 14 resorts on the island, 3 of them closed now due to the downturn in the world economy. The water is being depleted on the small island from the demand imposed by the resorts, so a large portion of the water is made now by desalination. The American's were here in WWII and left behind a few big c: 1910 cannons, and a number of bunkers, now rusting in the tropical moisture. We also learned that a lot of famous people come here, and many have had their names painted on a big sign in front of Bloody Mary's Restaurant, where there is just enough room at the bottom of the far right corner for a few more names. After that, I don't know what they'll do. Stop having famous people? Get another sign?

Yesterday we moved from our anchorage on the south end of the bay to the middle, near Vaitape, the main town on Bora Bora, and are moored in front of the Bora Bora Yacht Club. Owned by a young couple and their 2 kids, the yacht club is in the midst of a rebuild after it was hit by a cyclone in February. They had owned it for 2 years and had done a lot of work to renovate the property when the cyclone hit, destroying their home, the kitchen, and portions of the dock, among other things, and there is no insurance for such events. They're living off the sales from the bar, income from doing cruisers' laundry, and sales of t-shirts and hats, and saving money to rebuild the yacht club. Even as it is, with just the bar, it's a welcoming spot, a nice place to hang out and relax.

Today after our walk with Gordon and Sherry to Top Dive to arrange our dive tomorrow, we ended up at the yacht club with phony tortilla chips and fresh baguettes from the store across the street. Michael and Gloria joined us, and 2 hours and 15 Hinanos' later, having ignored the long list of things we'd intended to get at today, we're back on board. The yacht club was an entertaining place to while away a few afternoon hours while the kids of the owners and of the cook ran around sans clothing and fished for shoes, played games, shared our chips with us, and generally had fun being carefree tropical kids in paradise. As we were deep in discussions about the northern route to Suvarov and Samoa vs. the southern route to the Southern Cook Islands and Beverage Reef, and what the ramifications of bad weather on each route might be, and what the weather patterns have been, and whether trying to get into the Zone of Totality for the upcoming solar eclipse made any sense, and other big decisions we are facing -- Gordon wondered how many cruisers had sat at our table and had the same discussion in previous years.

Tomorrow night we're looking forward to seeing the Heiva competition, the annual Tahitian dance and music competition throughout French Polynesia. The finals this year are in the Marquesas, in Atuona. In the meantime, competition continues toward the finals, and we are lucky to be here for a week of events here on Bora Bora. A temporary stadium and restaurants have been set up near the water in the main part of town. The restaurants are all built from palm fronds, local wood, and flowers -- a massive amount of detailed work for a very short period of time.

More on the Heiva later. For now, we have a pressing date for 3:30 Cafe Mocha's on Serenity. Never a dull moment.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fly Aweigh II
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160 Deluxe
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Allan and Alison Gabel
About:
Retired airline pilots exploring the world at a slower pace. 12 years ago we took two-year leaves of absence from our jobs and sailed across the Pacific on a Catalina Morgan 440, which we sold in Australia so we could go back to work. [...]
Fly Aweigh II's Photos - Main
Our trip to Tunisia to join friends Michael and Gloria on their Beneteau Custom 50 sailboat for a trip to Menorca, Spain. And then - a visit to see my brother Chris and his wife Sophie in France!
71 Photos
Created 9 June 2023
7 Photos
Created 14 January 2023
Pictures of our trip northbound from Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2022
From Santa Rosalia south.
16 Photos
Created 4 June 2022
From Puerto Escondido to Santa Rosalia - May 2022
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 13 May 2022
From La Paz to Puerto Escondido in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California)
17 Photos
Created 27 April 2022
13 Photos
Created 17 April 2022
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2022
Life in Barra and environs in the month of February.
18 Photos
Created 27 February 2022
9 Photos
Created 17 February 2022
14 Photos
Created 2 February 2022
Week 2 of our time in Ensenada and the Baja Naval Boatyard.
9 Photos
Created 20 December 2021
Our first week in the Baja Naval Boatyard
12 Photos
Created 11 December 2021
The last, last minute things and our final departure for San Diego.
4 Photos
Created 1 December 2021
Stuff we're doing in the prepping-to-go-sailing phase of our lives.
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2021
21 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
22 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
49 Photos
Created 24 February 2011
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 February 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 16 October 2010
28 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
20 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
23 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
29 Photos
Created 1 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
And other things ...
25 Photos
Created 25 June 2010
28 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 May 2010
34 Photos
Created 3 May 2010
28 Photos
Created 17 April 2010
39 Photos
Created 19 January 2010
Train trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 16 December 2009
Visit with Grant & Phyllis Gabel; Fly Aweigh's Christmas decorations
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
The 11-day adventure from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
12 Photos
Created 7 November 2009
Pre-Ha-Ha days in San Deigo harbor
No Photos
Created 25 October 2009
10 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
Commissioning and Provisioning in Marina del rey
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2009