The Further Adventures of Fly Aweigh (II)

Back on a boat after a 10-year working break, we're off on another adventure! This time, with two hulls, no timeline, and no particular agenda. And sometimes, I’ll use this forum for non-sailing adventures.

31 May 2023 | France
24 May 2023 | Tunis Medina, Tunisia
20 May 2023 | Bizerte, Tunisia
18 May 2023 | Carthage
16 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
14 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
05 February 2023 | Barra de Navidad, Mexico
31 January 2023 | Tenacatita, Mexico
29 January 2023 | Ipala, Mexico
14 January 2023
19 August 2022 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
12 August 2022 | Beverly, Massachusetts
23 July 2022 | Somewhere in the US
01 July 2022 | Channel Islands Harbor
19 June 2022 | Marina Coral, Ensenada
08 June 2022 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, México
04 June 2022 | Los Gatos, Sea of Cortez
24 May 2022 | Santa Rosalia, Baja California Sur, México

Rarotonga

14 July 2010 | AVatui Harbor, Rarotonga
Alison
Here we are getting ready for the eclipse with our eclipse glasses. Believe me, they are so dark, we had no idea if we were looking at the camera or not, we just sort of smiled in it's general direction. They're very similar in construction to those 3-D glasses we're all familiar with, made of thin cardboard, but they're basically a very dark film that filters the light.

As a quick postscript to the eclipse, me met a guy yesterday here in Rarotonga who flies all over the world to see eclipses, which he says occur about once a year somewhere. He had some spectacular photos, which he took with obvious knowledge and excellent equipment, including a telescopic lens for his camera. He had joined about 300 others on the small island of Mangaia in the southern edge of the Southern Cooks, an island that we hear gets roughly 2 tourists a week, but for that one brief event was inundated with a throng of thrill-seekers, astronomy buffs, and those with enough money to fly to nowhere just purely out of solar curiosity. Apparently the townsfolk were very accommodating, turning the school gym into a bunkhouse and opening their homes to people. He said they didn't see "totality" due to the clouds, which made us feel so exceptionally blessed to have seen the entire thing.

We pulled into Avatui Harbor in Rarotonga at 8am Tuesday, met by Michael and Gloria, who helped us "Med moor" the boat to the concrete dock, stern first. It was a bit challenging but went well. We did a sort of modified Mediterranean moor in Tahiti at the downtown quay, the difference was they had mooring lines permanently attached to the dock and then out to a point attached to the harbor floor, and we just picked up those lines and tied them to the boat. In a Med moor, you drop the bow anchor, back in toward the dock, throw long lines attached to the stern to someone waiting there, and tie up with some space between the stern of the boat and the dock, in our case, about 12 feet. You then have the dilemma of getting off the boat and to the dock, which is reached by climbing a big metal ladder. So people rig these rather awkward but ingenious ways of making the dinghy a sort of permanently attached shuttle between boat and dock. The water here is very surgey, and getting out of the big boat and into the dinghy, then to the dock without being strangled by the dock lines as they slack and tighten, and then from the dinghy to the big ladder is challenging all around, quite messy and fraught with potential disaster. It requires impeccable timing, both hands free, sensible shoes, and a bit of courage.

After securing the boat and exchanging greetings with friends we set about washing Fly Aweigh with the luxury of city water and a faucet on the dock, although the water pressure was little more than a dribble. We managed to do a fairly spectacular job using our trusty orange Home Depot 5-gallon buckets and some big sponges, and the boat looks happy and salt-free after our super-splashy first night at sea. Then we set off on a short walk for lunch, money, scooter rental research and an Internet card. There's a very different feel here than in French Polynesia, and it's hard to figure out what it is. Of course, it could be that everyone speaks flawless English with a delightful Kiwi accent. Or it could be that prices are actually normal. The buildings are different, the food on the menus is more extensive, and the air is drier, maybe. It's got a nice feel.

Scooters are about $20 per day, and almost everyone rides them. We're planning to get one tomorrow and keep it for a few days to give us some island mobility which will be nice for a change. There are a lot of things to do on this island and we've realized that for this short visit, we'll be uncharacteristically land-based, since our only berthing opportunity is here in the tiny, noisy harbor, not conducive to water sports.

The money is a mix of NZ and Cook Islands coins and bills. They have some unusual coins here; most notable is the triangular shaped $2 coin which is hilarious. The $1 coin has the god Tangaroa pictured in a sideways pose, his male member prominently displayed as is common in the unabashed confident style of South Pacific tiki's, and on the other side is Queen Elizabeth, who, it is rumored, was not too happy to share a coin with such an exhibitionist.

We don't really know how long we'll be here, there's a trough of weather moving in that may keep us here until early next week, but we're also expecting winds from the north tonight, and that exposes this harbor to the wind and the sea swells. That's the beauty and the frustration of this life - we are completely dependent on the weather, and it doesn't really care if we wanted to ride scooters tomorrow, or go to the Cultural Center. We're going to be prepared to leave on a moments' notice if need be until the north winds subside, then we can relax for a few days.

I'll update regularly, since our Internet connection is fast and fabulous, a nice change from the torturous slow service we had throughout FP.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fly Aweigh II
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160 Deluxe
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Allan and Alison Gabel
About:
Retired airline pilots exploring the world at a slower pace. 12 years ago we took two-year leaves of absence from our jobs and sailed across the Pacific on a Catalina Morgan 440, which we sold in Australia so we could go back to work. [...]
Fly Aweigh II's Photos - Main
Our trip to Tunisia to join friends Michael and Gloria on their Beneteau Custom 50 sailboat for a trip to Menorca, Spain. And then - a visit to see my brother Chris and his wife Sophie in France!
71 Photos
Created 9 June 2023
7 Photos
Created 14 January 2023
Pictures of our trip northbound from Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2022
From Santa Rosalia south.
16 Photos
Created 4 June 2022
From Puerto Escondido to Santa Rosalia - May 2022
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 13 May 2022
From La Paz to Puerto Escondido in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California)
17 Photos
Created 27 April 2022
13 Photos
Created 17 April 2022
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2022
Life in Barra and environs in the month of February.
18 Photos
Created 27 February 2022
9 Photos
Created 17 February 2022
14 Photos
Created 2 February 2022
Week 2 of our time in Ensenada and the Baja Naval Boatyard.
9 Photos
Created 20 December 2021
Our first week in the Baja Naval Boatyard
12 Photos
Created 11 December 2021
The last, last minute things and our final departure for San Diego.
4 Photos
Created 1 December 2021
Stuff we're doing in the prepping-to-go-sailing phase of our lives.
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2021
21 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
22 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
49 Photos
Created 24 February 2011
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 February 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 16 October 2010
28 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
20 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
23 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
29 Photos
Created 1 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
And other things ...
25 Photos
Created 25 June 2010
28 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 May 2010
34 Photos
Created 3 May 2010
28 Photos
Created 17 April 2010
39 Photos
Created 19 January 2010
Train trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 16 December 2009
Visit with Grant & Phyllis Gabel; Fly Aweigh's Christmas decorations
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
The 11-day adventure from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
12 Photos
Created 7 November 2009
Pre-Ha-Ha days in San Deigo harbor
No Photos
Created 25 October 2009
10 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
Commissioning and Provisioning in Marina del rey
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2009