The Further Adventures of Fly Aweigh (II)

Back on a boat after a 10-year working break, we're off on another adventure! This time, with two hulls, no timeline, and no particular agenda. And sometimes, I’ll use this forum for non-sailing adventures.

31 May 2023 | France
24 May 2023 | Tunis Medina, Tunisia
20 May 2023 | Bizerte, Tunisia
18 May 2023 | Carthage
16 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
14 May 2023 | Tunis, Tunisia
05 February 2023 | Barra de Navidad, Mexico
31 January 2023 | Tenacatita, Mexico
29 January 2023 | Ipala, Mexico
14 January 2023
19 August 2022 | Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard
12 August 2022 | Beverly, Massachusetts
23 July 2022 | Somewhere in the US
01 July 2022 | Channel Islands Harbor
19 June 2022 | Marina Coral, Ensenada
08 June 2022 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California, México
04 June 2022 | Los Gatos, Sea of Cortez
24 May 2022 | Santa Rosalia, Baja California Sur, México

Life at Sea - Last Leg Along the Pacific Baja

03 February 2022 | Somewhere South of Bahía Magdalena
Alison Gabel | Perfect Weather
Life at Sea - Last Passage Along the Pacific Baja Coast

It's 5am again, I just came on watch and relieved a tired Allan, who gets the next 4 hours in the Sensory Deprivation Room. Our cabin is surprisingly quiet with all the hatches closed, and dark, with the hatch covers in place, so it's a great cocoon for sleeping.

Me, I get to see those stars again! I haven't seen this many stars from the Earth in decades! We had plenty of sky in my former job - and the stars are pretty awesome at 35,000 feet, but most of the time we had the lights on enough to keep us awake and to make star watching difficult. Occasionally, crossing the Atlantic, we'd catch a glimpse of aurora borealis, and turn all the lights down, get our chins right up on the dash, eyes close to the windows, and admire the show. But work duties beckon after a few minutes and it all goes back to business as usual. Out here on the ocean, with no cities anywhere nearby, the stars come almost all the way down to the horizon. I have to do double-takes on some that mimic approaching boats, but when they continue to rise I get confirmation - not a boat.

This passage has been good. The forecast promised good sailing wind the whole time, but we had to motor for the first few hours as it flopped and slapped the sails around. But since early afternoon we've had the sails up, including our gorgeous new screecher - a big, puffy thing that loves to take small amounts of air and turn them into speed. Right now, with just 10 knots of "apparent" wind and only the screecher out, the boat speed is a respectable six-and-a-half knots. (There are different kinds of wind: there's the virtual kind, or "apparent wind" - the kind you feel when you stick your head out a moving car window alongside the dog, and there's actual real-life wind, like when you're standing on a street corner and can't keep your hat on.) Occasionally we have both the big screecher and the diminutive, but solid jib sail out, either spooning each other or the jib pushed out to the other side to take advantage of a following wind. In any case, it's beautiful.

This boat makes a lot of crashing sounds. When we first experienced "hull slap" - a phenomenon associated with multi hulled boats where the water coming under the boat between the two hulls gets confused and tangled and forced up and into the floor of the main cabin, which stretches between the two hulls. Sometimes the slap is so hard, everything on the table jumps. In certain seas, this happens over and over again. In other seas, the water hits the hulls in different ways, there's whooshing at the sterns as we ride up and over a wave, or creaking in the rigging as the boat moves from side-to-side, or sometimes, like now, the wind catches the sail halyard just right and makes an eerie rhythmic sci-fi hum. It's a constant cacophony of thumps and bangs and slaps and shudders, and makes me wonder what we did to piss Neptune off to such a degree. Believe it or not, we get used to it. I can really see how someone in a similar boat might hit a refrigerator or a cargo container in the north Pacific and not really know it! (Yes, this happened, and I totally get it.) Allan deals with it by sometimes putting his Bose noise cancelling headphones on and disappearing into a movie. I deal with it by ignoring it, mostly. There's enough noise in my head to drown it out. But sometimes you hear a sound that's just a bit different and you run out to see if you've actually hit something. So far, so good.

At night, we keep the cabin lights low. We have a big battery-operated candle that glows on the cabin table, and a string of tiny lights wrapped around the ceiling that create a soft non-reflective ambiance. The chart plotter is dimmed way down, also the radio lights. We have red lights that illuminate the steps going into each hull, and a soft light in the galley. Since we mostly read on our electronic devices, this works great for us. I can go out and check the horizon every 10 or 15 minutes and not have to adjust my eyes, and overall, it's just a nice atmosphere. Now, I can see the eastern sky starting to glow, soon it will be day and I can switch all the mood lighting off.

During the day we're getting a bit of a passage routine going. We have meals at pretty regular times. We tend to snack a lot. We exercise, including doing about 45 minutes of yoga every other day. The yoga is fun, because a lot of the poses are one-legged poses. Doing that on a boat is a challenge, we have to make major modifications like holding onto a table but at the same time it develops all those teeny-tiny supportive muscles in the feet and legs, so it's an excellent challenge. We also have TRX straps that attach to a handhold in the cockpit roof. With those we can get some pretty good upper body work. So I'm feeling my Covid-induced slacker body getting stronger, which is good, because bathing suit weather is drawing near!

The weather warms with every tick south. We went from nights in the low 40's in Ensenada, with 5 blankets on the bed, to just a light bedspread, and I know that will fall by the wayside in another few hundred miles. We look at that collection of coats and hoodies and fuzzy jackets now and realize we have enough to fill the guest cabin. Pulling out the shorts and short-sleeved shirts feels great.

We get projects done: yesterday we re-purposed a stretched-out safety tether (the thing you attach to your life vest, and then to something on deck, so if you fall overboard you don't drift off into infinity, but rather get yanked alongside the boat trying not to ingest too much water until someone pulls you back up.) The old tether was converted into an anchor stretchy deal for Dinghy McDingface. There is a name for it, of course, but let's just say it's a thing that allows you to drop a little dinghy-sized anchor from the stern as you approach a dock or shore, continue forward toward that dock or shore, tie off a long line to it, get out, and then let the dinghy go - the stretchy thing, which you'd installed before you dropped the anchor, yanks the boat back out, away from the dock or shore, so it doesn't rub up against rough surfaces or put itself at risk. It's a neat trick, but we didn't have one on board. What we did have was a sail mending kit, the stretched-out tether, which has a really strong polyester woven casing with super-fantastic hooks on either end, and strong new elastic. Allan did the sewing - it was too much for my little sewing machine which made throw-up sounds every time I tried. So he got out the cool wooden-handled sewing thing that you use to fix heavy things like sails, read the directions, and got to it. He did a fabulous job and didn't make throw-up sounds, and now we have the slickest anchor stretcher thing!

Checking the engines before we left on this last leg, Allan found quite a bit of water behind the port engine compartment. Leaking rudder post? Other small hole in the boat? Then we had the presence of mind to taste it - not salty. Most likely the cockpit shower hose got knocked slightly on as it was stowed in the tight little compartment and leaked down into the compartment below. We checked it later and no more water, so we're not sinking.

We also did more stainless polishing on the rails, and continue to work on the white lifelines, which got pretty grimy in the boatyard. The boat is looking darnright spiffy, and we love these calm-water passages with smooth sailing to get things done. When the seas get rough, we don't do much but look at each other with exhasperated expressions and do a lot of grunting and sighing, which we did a lot of the last 6 hours, when the wind picked up and the seas got all messy and confused. But it was hard to complain - the boat was screaming along at 9+ knots! We got into Cabo a few hours earlier than planned. So this was a good passage, hull slap and sci-fi whining notwithstanding.
Comments
Vessel Name: Fly Aweigh II
Vessel Make/Model: Seawind 1160 Deluxe
Hailing Port: Channel Islands, California
Crew: Allan and Alison Gabel
About:
Retired airline pilots exploring the world at a slower pace. 12 years ago we took two-year leaves of absence from our jobs and sailed across the Pacific on a Catalina Morgan 440, which we sold in Australia so we could go back to work. [...]
Fly Aweigh II's Photos - Main
Our trip to Tunisia to join friends Michael and Gloria on their Beneteau Custom 50 sailboat for a trip to Menorca, Spain. And then - a visit to see my brother Chris and his wife Sophie in France!
71 Photos
Created 9 June 2023
7 Photos
Created 14 January 2023
Pictures of our trip northbound from Cabo San Lucas to Ensenada
9 Photos
Created 19 June 2022
From Santa Rosalia south.
16 Photos
Created 4 June 2022
From Puerto Escondido to Santa Rosalia - May 2022
22 Photos
Created 24 May 2022
7 Photos
Created 13 May 2022
From La Paz to Puerto Escondido in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California)
17 Photos
Created 27 April 2022
13 Photos
Created 17 April 2022
14 Photos
Created 25 March 2022
Life in Barra and environs in the month of February.
18 Photos
Created 27 February 2022
9 Photos
Created 17 February 2022
14 Photos
Created 2 February 2022
Week 2 of our time in Ensenada and the Baja Naval Boatyard.
9 Photos
Created 20 December 2021
Our first week in the Baja Naval Boatyard
12 Photos
Created 11 December 2021
The last, last minute things and our final departure for San Diego.
4 Photos
Created 1 December 2021
Stuff we're doing in the prepping-to-go-sailing phase of our lives.
5 Photos
Created 20 November 2021
21 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
22 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 9 March 2011
49 Photos
Created 24 February 2011
30 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 February 2011
29 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
51 Photos
Created 15 January 2011
20 Photos
Created 16 October 2010
28 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
20 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
23 Photos
Created 16 August 2010
29 Photos
Created 1 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
And other things ...
25 Photos
Created 25 June 2010
28 Photos
Created 11 June 2010
34 Photos
Created 21 May 2010
34 Photos
Created 3 May 2010
28 Photos
Created 17 April 2010
39 Photos
Created 19 January 2010
Train trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon in Chihuahua.
11 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 December 2009
28 Photos
Created 16 December 2009
Visit with Grant & Phyllis Gabel; Fly Aweigh's Christmas decorations
13 Photos
Created 12 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
8 Photos
Created 6 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
The 11-day adventure from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
12 Photos
Created 7 November 2009
Pre-Ha-Ha days in San Deigo harbor
No Photos
Created 25 October 2009
10 Photos
Created 14 October 2009
Commissioning and Provisioning in Marina del rey
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2009