SailBlog

06 September 2012
30 August 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
06 August 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
13 July 2012 | BC, Canada
25 June 2012 | Vancouver, BC
16 June 2012 | SaltSpring Island
24 May 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
06 May 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
22 April 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
05 April 2012
20 March 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
01 March 2012 | St. George's, Grenada
16 February 2012 | St. George's, Grenada
05 February 2012 | Pampatar, Venezuela
25 January 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
12 January 2012 | Woburn, Grenada
31 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada
21 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada
14 December 2011 | Carriacou, Grenada
02 December 2011 | Woburn, Grenada

Venezuelan Odyssey II

01 March 2012 | St. George's, Grenada
Jules
I was wrong ... Mike did end up going back to Venezuela to pick up the other freighter. They left on Friday 17th Feb. after numerous phone calls and assurances that they would be able to leave Venezuela straight away.

They arrived in Margarita on the Saturday evening, tied up alongside the freighter, met the agent and officials, and were told they'd get clearance in the morning ... as soon as the drug squad had brought the sniffer dogs and underwater cameras on board and searched both boats.

They'd had a relatively good run down there. The 'only' issue on this leg being the Lister generator which went haywire and blew up the two fridges, the PC monitor and power pack, the laptop charger and the charger for the sat. phone. And the Yanmar turbo oil seal which leaked oil into the engine, ended up running away and nearly seized up. Apart from that all went well.

The drug squad were on board by 7.30 am Sunday, all 11 of them. Apparently the officers were fine but the young pups doing the search ended up taking a phone from James' cabin, which was in a box, in a holdall, in a cupboard under his bunk. They also took a watch and a pair of new sneakers from the freighter. (Mike's phone has also gone missing, which is causing no end of problems trying to contact people, only he thinks he had it after the Venezuelans left so we have no idea what's happened to that.)

By early afternoon the tow was underway with two of the freighter crew on board the Buzzard to augment Mike, James, Tony and Scott (an American friend who'd gone along to help). And they made fairly good progress, considering the freighter was twice our size and laden with 1,200 tonnes of cement, most of which was in the bow.

I got a sat. phone call saying all was well and they should be back in around 32 hours. Unfortunately, just past Los Testigos at 8 pm, the main oil-line on our Callesen sheared off. I can only imagine what that night was like. They were without power for 18 hours while Mike and James did what they could. Mike had to lower the dinghy and go alongside the other boat (in the dark, in 3m swells) to get the pipe brazed (which didn't work), and then again to get some hose and more oil to replace that which had sprayed round the engine room. (And the outboard got smashed on the crane bringing it back on board.)

Eventually it was fixed, during which time they'd drifted 40 miles in the wrong direction. At one point Scott said he was worried the freighter was going to hit the back of us because they continued going when we weren't. Of course I knew nothing of this until Mike called on the Monday to say all was fine again.

They eventually got in to Grenada on Wednesday at around 7.30 pm, I sat on Angie's balcony and watched them come over the horizon as the sun was setting. They anchored out alongside the freighter for the night and prepared to bring them in to the dock the next day. Only the swell was too big for cruise ships and they came into the dock instead, and then it was the weekend. So we spent the weekend on standby, which was just as well because they dragged on the Friday afternoon and we had to help them re-anchor.

First thing Monday Mike went back alongside them to bring them to the dock. And whilst they were pulling their anchor the chain snapped and they ended up having to leave the anchor there. Really does make you wonder about some of these boats.

While we were at the dock we got water and were then ready to leave and go back out to anchor, only apparently the Port Authority had other ideas. Because the freighter has no engine working we were required to stay tied alongside for the duration of the unloading in case of emergencies. The unloading was supposed to take 2-3 days. It's already been 3 and they've only just started the second hold, oh and it's raining so they can't work anyway. The noise and cement dust is really starting to get us, as is the throbbing generators from the container ship next door; makes it feel like we're back in Chaguaramas.

Not quite sure when they're going to be finished but it may be a bit of a problem because we need to leave on Saturday morning to go get more fuel and head up to Carriacou. The owner of the freighter has known about this prior commitment all along but nobody expected this part of the job to take so long ... although we really should know better by now.

Anyway, while the Buzzard was having adventures on the high-seas I stayed with Angie in her apartment over-looking Grand Anse beach, and tried not to be overly anxious. On the Sunday I went to Hog Island to say goodbye to some friends who were leaving for Trinidad, and to see June and Jeff, June's been back over three weeks and I've still only managed to catch up a couple of times. I was supposed to be having a quiet afternoon but Hog took hold, as usual, and I ended up staying on Tiempo with Pete.

The next day we sailed round to St. George's, had lunch at The Nutmeg and went to see a local art show. All so civilised ... wonder why Mike and I don't do things like that.

On the Wednesday the boys got back I went up to the local hospital to give blood as a friend of ours has been in for a couple of weeks and has needed several blood transfusions, and they're running low. There was quite a queue of yachties lining up to do the right thing, and apart from the mosquitoes in the room it was all relatively painless.

Last Friday I had to go to the dentist for a second opinion about my front tooth. Apparently this dentist could see something on the x-ray: I have an abscess which has been there a while and has been eating into the gum and loosening the tooth. Great. I'm on a course of strong anti-biotics and have a series of root canal appointments booked to start next week, lucky me.

In amongst all this we've been trying to repair damaged parts and services. We've replaced the relay and now have one fridge working, and we've bought new chargers for the laptops and the sat. phone. Mike's sourced and ordered a brand new 15kw generator which should be, fingers crossed, shipped from Florida at the weekend and be with us by the week after. Now all we have to do is move the tool box and one of the air-compressors, take out the Onan (which never did work), and build new brackets to mount it on.

Not sure what's happening with Tony since he got back from Indonesia. He hasn't seemed particularly motivated, almost to the point of laziness, and this morning has said he wants to return to Indonesia next month. Makes me wonder if his missing his flight wasn't an attempt not to come back at all. Only now we have to pay Julie for the extra flight she organised, and he wants us to spend another $2,000 sending him home again. After only working for us for a month, and sending $300 home already? Crew ...

So ... I guess that's enough for now. I've been a bit side-tracked from the new blog but will hopefully get back to working on it soon.

Love to everyone ....
Comments
Vessel Name: Flying Buzzard
Vessel Make/Model: Ferguson Bros. Ex steam tug
Hailing Port: Maryport, Cumbria, UK
Flying Buzzard's Photos - Main
40 Photos
Created 6 August 2012
44 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
19 Photos
Created 22 June 2011
Hog Island hog roast, Robin's mast, Bequia Easter Regatta, Sushi party, Grenada
126 Photos
Created 19 April 2011
Some of Julie and Twents pics. and Karin's from the salvage in Saltwhistle Bay, the tug and yacht in Bequia and Grand Etang. Also Carriacou Carnival.
107 Photos
Created 23 January 2011
Barbados, Vancouver, Vancouver Island
24 Photos
Created 1 December 2010
Including Christmas and New Year 2010/2011
115 Photos
Created 14 October 2010
23 Photos
Created 19 September 2010
64 Photos
Created 2 August 2010
21 Photos
Created 17 July 2010
Union Island, Tobago Cays, Bequia
99 Photos
Created 2 May 2010
72 Photos
Created 3 April 2010
Third, and final(?) visit to Los Testigos
29 Photos
Created 29 March 2010
Our trip with Julie and Twent
19 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
123 Photos
Created 11 January 2010
First visit on our way from Trinidad to Isla Margarita
30 Photos
Created 3 January 2010
58 Photos
Created 22 November 2009
18 Photos
Created 29 October 2009
113 Photos
Created 13 June 2009
115 Photos
Created 27 April 2009
Says it all!
18 Photos
Created 23 April 2009
Praia and Cidada Velha
27 Photos
Created 3 April 2009
37 Photos
Created 21 March 2009
23 Photos
Created 20 March 2009
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2009
Sao Vicente,Cabo Verde
18 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 1 March 2009
Everyday scenes of boating life.
11 Photos
Created 1 March 2009
Life in general
21 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 13 February 2009

Passing on Lifelines on the Journey of a Lifetime

Port: Maryport, Cumbria, UK

Current Position